Underworld 100 TV 6 Skills.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

AndyJ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AndyJ »

Well, right now, if I can go, and It's currently looking good, I'll either be playing underworld (if I can get the models done) or Halflings (More likely).

Reason: ''
skavenskulls
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Underworld 100 TV 6 Skills.

Post by skavenskulls »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm in a similar boat and would like to see what people are thinking these days.

Skill rules for the tourny I'm going to be playing in:
Teams must be TV 1000 (1 million gp) in starting value. Coaches will be free to select from one of the following skill packages to apply to their teams, with the caveat that no one player may have any more than one added skill and no skill may be selected more than twice.

The available skill packages are:
1 – 6 normal skills; or
2 – 4 normal skills and 1 double skill; or
3 – 2 normal skills and 2 double skills; or
4 – 4 normal skills and +1 MA or +1 AV.

The tournament is a resurrection tournament, so all injuries will be erased at the end of each round.

What I'm trying out first is:
2 Blitzers + Guard
2 Throwers + 1 Extra Arms
2 Linerats + Wrestle
1 Troll + Claw
5 Gobbos
3 RR
1 APO
1 FF

Most of these are coming entirely from other people's suggestions in other threads. I know Guard is useful, but currently doubt my ability+knowledge to make game-changing use of it. I also have very little experience with Wrestle, and need to use it more before I can start recognizing it's value. I don't have enough of an idea on tournament metagames to know if claw is the better choice over tentacles on the troll, but for now I feel stronger about claw. I can't think of any doubles that would be worth taking (block on the troll comes to mind first, but feel like claw/tentacles is good enough).

Would love to hear any thoughts!

SierraKiloBravo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SierraKiloBravo »

skavenskulls wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm in a similar boat and would like to see what people are thinking these days.

Skill rules for the tourny I'm going to be playing in:
Teams must be TV 1000 (1 million gp) in starting value. Coaches will be free to select from one of the following skill packages to apply to their teams, with the caveat that no one player may have any more than one added skill and no skill may be selected more than twice.

The available skill packages are:
1 – 6 normal skills; or
2 – 4 normal skills and 1 double skill; or
3 – 2 normal skills and 2 double skills; or
4 – 4 normal skills and +1 MA or +1 AV.

The tournament is a resurrection tournament, so all injuries will be erased at the end of each round.

What I'm trying out first is:
2 Blitzers + Guard
2 Linerats + Wrestle
1 Troll + Claw
5 Gobbos
3 RR
1 APO
1 FF

Most of these are coming entirely from other people's suggestions in other threads. I know Guard is useful, but currently doubt my ability+knowledge to make game-changing use of it. I also have very little experience with Wrestle, and need to use it more before I can start recognizing it's value. I don't have enough of an idea on tournament metagames to know if claw is the better choice over tentacles on the troll, but for now I feel stronger about claw. I can't think of any doubles that would be worth taking (block on the troll comes to mind first, but feel like claw/tentacles is good enough).

Would love to hear any thoughts!
I'm not sure that you want to be hitting like crazy with the troll, which is what Claw is going to encourage you to do. Without Block, he's a liability. The troll is the most unreliable big guy, so you sort of want to move him only when you have to and throw blocks with him near the end of your turn. His value comes in having a tackle zone and tying up other players. Assuming all of that, I think that Tentacles makes a lot of sense, because then you're using the troll to tie people down and keep them there, which should free up 1 or 2 other players.

You might also think about Big Hand on a goblin. Dodging everywhere on a 3+ and picking up a ball anywhere on a 3+ is nothing to sniff at.

Having the blitzers with Guard effectively turns them into something like a blocker as opposed to your primary blitzers. You'll be wanting to move them to locations to throw 2d blocks with other players, preferably your Wrestlers. The linerats with Wrestle become your blitzers because Wrestle gives them the best chance to get the ball away from a ball carrier with Block and / or Sure Hands.

Control the lightning.
skavenskulls
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skavenskulls »

If not two guards, what would you go for? Horns on a blitzer and... ? Do you think two Wrestlers is worth it? Taking any skills on the gobbos almost feels like a waste given how easy it is to pick them out. Big hand, horns, or two heads all are exciting options, though.

mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

With these rules I'd seriously consider Block on the Troll, Block on the linerats and, yes, block on the throwers.

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
skavenskulls
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skavenskulls »

Each skill can only be taken twice per team

pfooti
Experienced
Experienced

Post by pfooti »

skavenskulls wrote: What I'm trying out first is:
2 Blitzers + Guard
2 Linerats + Wrestle
1 Troll + Claw
Heh, you're in the Orcland Slaughter too, eh? Personally I'm torn on the idea of the troll in that team- he's relatively inexpensive, and with Claw + Mighty Blow you can rip a new hole in a lot of the AV9 teams you *might* end up facing (orcs and dwarfs being relatively popular tourney teams). Really Stupid, though, is problematic. Half the time, he does nothing and has no Tackle Zones.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd go with an apo. With post-game resurrection, you don't need to keep players healthy throughout the tourney, and while it would be nice to keep a blitzer alive, you could instead bring Bomber Dribblesnot along as a star player for the APO+1FF cost. You only get to use him one drive, but he can be really handy for that drive (blowing up the opponent's cage when you kick to them).

Extra arms is kind of a funny skill for the thrower. The problem is, with animosity, you'll probably want to be throwing to another skaven, but none of the skaven can get catch or have a 4 AG. Goblins can get catch, but there's the animosity thing to worry about again. So, I don't really see a whole lot of passing going on with this team, although I could be mistaken about that. If nothing else, maybe pro or leader over extra arms for the thrower, to provide more chances to reroll the animosity thing.

Another thing to consider is horns for a goblin. With stunty + dodge, they can get into cages pretty easily, and deliver a str3 blitz. Not necessarily the wisest choice for a goblin, but relatively amusing if it works- even if it pushes the ballcarrier out, it might not be what your opponents expect (unless I play against you, that is).

Block on the linemen might be better than wrestle. Hard to say- block vs block leads to nothing which is good when you're getting hit and annoying if you're trying to down an opponent for fouling, dropping the ball, losing TZs, etc. Wrestle means everybody goes down, but that includes the linerat too.

pFooti, Worst Coach Ever
skavenskulls
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skavenskulls »

dropping the apo definitely seems worth considering, though I don't know if I'd go for Dribblesnot. I feel like dropping the apo and a goblin for Fezglitch would have a lot more effect, though I don't like the idea of not having a reserve goblin that much.

Extra arms appeals to me both for the pickup (which I notoriously have trouble with) and the +1 to catch, making him a viable receiver if he's not trying to pick up the ball somewhere. Wrestle on the linerats seems superior to block simply because everyone else will be taking block... I assume all those people can't be wrong, though, and maybe block is the way to go? Going something like block on both throwers, wrestle on two linerats, claw/tentacles on the troll and horns on a blitzer? seems a lot less interesting... What is the general consensus on tackle in tourneys?

nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

I'm the one who started this...

I also took them to the tournament.

I did badly at first, and then did well in the lower bracket, if I had it to do over again knowing what I know now.

Troll - Should take PRO as a double Or Claw I took pro and it was freaking awesome. Claw + MB would be a second choice, its not the most efficient but I like it as it gives me 5 skills on my skaven.

Then put block/wrestle on the other 4 skaven. I took 2 linemen with wrestle and it worked out ok.

Put nothing on the goblins NOTHING. I put skills on the goblins and it was HORRIBLE mistake, I also took 5 skaven instead of 6, I would NEVER do that again I thought I could foul my opponent with a deep bench but it didn't work.

6 goblin 24k
6 skaven 42
1 troll 11
3 RR 21
you could drop another goblin for an app.

2 linemen wrestle, 2 block throwers, 1 tackle blitzer, and claw on the troll, or on the other blitzer, I'm partial to the troll, the hope is to remove some players you have a deep bench for fouling

if you put pro on the troll take
7 goblins
6 skaven
1 troll
2 RR
1 apoc

Troll is your turn over beast any way.

I'm playing them in a league right now, and I have the following skills... troll with claw, 2 throwers with block, 1 linerat with wrestle. 1 blitzer with MB. and a goblin with wrestle. The team performs really well in my league.

Any way thats my 2 cents, just pray you don't face ork or goblin.