Underworld 100 TV 6 Skills.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Underworld 100 TV 6 Skills.

Post by nerdkingdan »

Been thinking about tournaments lately especially with Zlurpee bowl the only tournament in my travel distance with work restrictions coming up (still not sure I can make it darn work) it has been entertaining to think about... I asked about pro-elf in another thread and learned some really interesting things so even if I don't go You all were so informative before... so about Underworld.

Thinking...
7 Goblin
2 Skaven
2 Throwers
2 Blitzers
1 Troll
2 RR
1 Apoc

Skills
2 Blitzers with tackle
2 Skaven Lineman with Wrestle
1 Goblin two-heads
1 Goblin Horns

I played a few games with this layout against an experienced coach, and got 1 win(wood elf) 1 tie(norse)

I played this team in a league(obviously no starting skills) and due to casualties never got to this amount of skills, but was undefeated. However I had Guard on the blitzers in the league and never got to 2 goblins with skills.

Its a different play style to say the least. What layout/skill changes do you all suggest?

Reason: ''
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Re: Underworld 100 TV 6 Skills.

Post by TuernRedvenom »

nerdkingdan wrote: Skills
2 Blitzers with tackle
1 Goblin two-heads
1 Goblin Horns
I really wouldn't take tackle twice (probably not even once). It's too situational (many teams have no dodge at all -> 2 skills wasted. I'd give one blitzer frenzy, almost as good as tackle vs blodgers but also works vs any player and might bag you a few crowdpushes.
I'd drop the second Tackle completely (you have wrestle which is also good vs blodgers) and change it for a Claw on the Troll (they mutate on normal skills IIRC) to get that crunchy Claw/MB combo. Finally I'd probably switch one wrestle for a 2-headed goblin, just because 2+ dodges anywhere are awesome!

edit: Tentacles on the Troll is also worth considering!

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

Ok,

How about

Troll Claw
1 Blitzer with Guard
1 Goblin with 2 heads
1 Goblin with Horns

or

Troll Claw
2 Blitzers with Guard
2 Goblins 2 heads
1 Goblin Horn

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Okay, there are some great skill picks you can get for Underworld teams:

Tentacles on a Troll
Two Heads on a Goblin
Guard or Frenzy on a Blitzer
Wrestle/Block on a Linerat
Leader on a Thrower

So I'd try to max out on those. Tentacles is excellent on the troll because you then don't have to activate him every turn.

The following skills are pretty good, but not quite as good as those above:

Horns on Blitzer or Goblin
Big Hand on a Goblin.

I'd probably go for:

Tentacles
2x Guard on Blitzers
2x Wrestle on Linerats
1x Two Heads gobbo

This gives you some beef and hopefully gives your goblins some room to do their thing.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

I think I'm very found of the Claw on the troll suggestion, It seems to give me some teeth on a strong team that will otherwise be an issue. It should allow him to remove 2 or so players against even dwarf over the course of the game.

1x Troll with Claw
2x Guard on Blitzers
2x Wrestle on Linerats
1x Two Heads gobbo

However I really like the thought of a horn goblin it gives me some limited chance of cage breaking. Though a poor cage breaker, its a chance.

I also would like to consider sneaky git or dirty player, because my deep bench lets me foul.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Claw might work, as long as you use your Guards and maximise 3D blocks.

For a 2D block or blitz every turn the Troll will:

Waste 2.7 actions
Cause 1.5 turnovers
Get 7.4 knockdowns for 1 casualty

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

Joemanji wrote:Claw might work, as long as you use your Guards and maximise 3D blocks.

Waste 2.7 actions
Cause 1.5 turnovers
Oh sure! do the math. Make me look bad!! :D

I was thinking trying to max it out with the guards and 3 dice blocks, but your right its not that great. However, my experience with this team has shown me its not the dodging away thats the problem I have with the troll rather the people who can take it down repeatedly. My worst practice game was against norse. And his troll with claw + Block kept mine busy all game. Had I had claw I would have removed his troll at some point, though I likely still would not have won with all the block he had.

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Joemanji wrote:Claw might work, as long as you use your Guards and maximise 3D blocks.

Waste 2.7 actions
Cause 1.5 turnovers
Well, stuns and especially knockouts aren't bad either. And of course you should always strive towards 3-die blocks because otherwise your turnover rate will be too high.
I think CLaw or Tentacles (also a superb choice) comes down to what kind of opponent you think you will be facing most. Tentacles does squat vs bashy teams and claw does squat vs squishy, dodgy teams.

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

I've still been working on this... I am 100% sure I'm taking this team to coming tournament, in fact my first tournament. Would still like some input from anyone who has some thoughts.

What I got to play test was
2 Wrestle Skaven Lineman
2 Storm Vermin with Tackle
1 Goblin 2 Heads
1 Goblin Horns

I was able to tie against Norse, And I think I beat Wood Elf, but I may have tied them too. Both games were against a very good coach. Tackle was great with the wood elves, and pointless on Norse. Just as you all mentioned above. Wrestle was somewhat helpful but not as good as I had hoped, however with no skill the lineman skaven are near worthless.

Fouling was a very powerful option for me with a potential for 15 man roster with 2 rerolls on a team that has little use for rerolls most of the time.

In my League with them I did very well. In the league I had guard on my 2 storm vermin, and very little else for skills I had 15 members and 4 rerolls, I had halves end frequently with me having rerolls left. So I know I can focus more on models.

Joemanji's math on the troll makes me doubt the logic of the claw option. I did like having wrestle on the two lineman, and guard on the two storm vermin. Leaving 2 goblins with 2 heads, However I can't help but feel I missed something obvious.

Any thoughts?

AndyJ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AndyJ »

Hey Dan,
I Love the team you put together for the Zlurp. What skills did you run there? I'm thinking of taking a similar team to Chaos Cup if I can go. I'm thinking of giving the Troll Block...as this will solve most of his issues. I also like the guard and the two head gobbos. I'm currently running 3 RRs, is 2 safe?

nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

Hey Andy

What I ended up taking turned out to be a mistake. The team worked against wood elves very well, like I thought it would. But Orcs and Goblins were my nemesis and I faced orc 3 times and goblin once.

FEAR Goblins and Orcs. They are your nemesis. I imagine Lizardman would also be difficult.

What I took was Pro on the troll, 2 Wrestle Lineman. Those three skills worked out great. My mistake was putting any skills on the goblins, they are just too fragile. Had I kept the guard on the storm vermin things would had have gone much better. I ended up taking skills on the goblins so I could show off my conversions. With that out of the way no more skilled goblins. 2 head was wonderful but he only made it to second half 1 time.

Next time I'll do

Guard on the 2 storm vermin
Wrestle on the Lineman
and Pro on the Troll

Pro came up constantly, the troll rolls so many dice. It got me a 1 turn touchdown, prevented stupidity half the time. Even allowed me to move him when casualties mounted.

I also think I should have gone with my original plan

7 Goblin
2 Skaven
2 Throwers
2 Blitzers
1 Troll
2 RR
1 Apoc

I ended up taking
8 Goblin
2 Skaven
1 Throwers
2 Blitzers
1 Troll
3 RR
1 FF

My first plan would have gone better by keeping the skaven on the pitch.

AndyJ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AndyJ »

What about Multiple Block for the Troll?

You don't recommend the two headed Gobbos?

My current build has Horns on the Skaven Linemen...What are your thoughts?

nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

Really the troll is a turn over machine. Having him roll more dice is not going to help that. I must have used pro 5 or 6 times a game. Block would have helped me 1 time when pro did not.

You really need block or wrestle on the linemen, 4 strength is nice but a 2 dice block without block/wrestle is going to cause more turn overs.

The two headed goblins were great, its not that I don't recomend them they are nice, but what I was really short on was a way to deal orcs, guard would help a lot with that. Tackle will help you with dodge heavy teams but in my practice games and in the tournament my issue was with 4 strength guys with guard.

My goblins with skills kept getting injured. Better to put skills other places, though I guess six goblins with 2 heads would be a near unstoppable mobile cage.

I would recommend getting in some practice games with the team. When is this event?

AndyJ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AndyJ »

Oky,

My current rendition of this team for CC is...yes 1100K

Troll with Pro (still not sold, but will try it out!)
2 x Blitzers with Guard
Thrower (I originally had kick on him, but took it off)
2 x Linemen with Wrestle
2 x Gobbos with 2 heads
6 x Gobbos

2 RR
3 FF

Ideas? I can exchange the two heads on both gobbos for one extra goblin. I do plan on fouling. Sneaky git came to mind as well...

nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

Looks good to me, I'm thinking of going to that event as well, not sure what team yet, but I may be doing Underworld :-b

Sneaky git over a two heads makes sense, but I think what you have is pretty solid.