Leap on a Dark Elf Assassin : gimmick or serious option?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Leap on DE Assassin : gimmick or serious option?

Gimmick
62%
Serious Option
38%

Total votes: 71

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

I tested the assassin in a tournament, and put dodge on him, this is in my opinion a better choice than leap. It will increase his life, and his mobility, allowing him to stay close to non-block players without suffering to much, and then use his stab at the beginning of the turn. Typically on Bobs that don't have block, he will match up one for you, with a bit luck he will hurt him, and he can go away as soon as he is needed somewhere else.
He also can be used as a lino for ball carrier protection.

In the last turns you even can try a dodge in a cage with a 5+ (with dodge the odds are not that bad about 1/2) and try and stab the carrier.

For me dodge is the better way to play with the assassin with 1 skill tournaments

Reason: ''
Rhyoth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rhyoth »

I think it's a quite serious option : after all, DE Assasin is essentially a huge decoy, so leap makes him much more credible in his role.

If your opponent don't buy it, you can always give it a try if you feel lucky.
Now, if he fall for it, he'll just waste his blitz, and if he tries to man-mark him , then you just earn one free shot. :lol:

someone2040
Experienced
Experienced

Post by someone2040 »

Carnis wrote:How about instead of the gimmick leaping DE assassin who is 66% likely to get to try get a LEAPING CHAINSAW OF DEATH instead!

4+ to get the leap right, then you get a AV+3 on the ballcarry :D.

Goblins are also not a reroll light team, so its more like a 75% chance to get in, 83% chance to get the chain saw rolling and 58-83% chance of passing AV (AV7-9).

So vs AV7 blodger, you get AT LEAST a 51,66% chance of stunning the ballcarrier!
Leaping Chainsaw, that's gold! Of course... if he fails the leap... well, you're playing goblins anyway right?

--SoMeoNe2040--
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Re: Leap on a Dark Elf Assassin : gimmick or serious option?

Post by PubBowler »

Joemanji wrote: I seem to remember Don Vito taking Leap on his Dark Elf Assassin at Albabowl. I know he did it just for laughs, but actually it seems like it might be a viable tactic.
It made my Norse team have a few nervous moments.

But I think a Norse team (along with Amazons) have the most to fear from it.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
BIG Pete
Experienced
Experienced

Re:

Post by BIG Pete »

someone2040 wrote:
Carnis wrote:How about instead of the gimmick leaping DE assassin who is 66% likely to get to try get a LEAPING CHAINSAW OF DEATH instead!

4+ to get the leap right, then you get a AV+3 on the ballcarry :D.

Goblins are also not a reroll light team, so its more like a 75% chance to get in, 83% chance to get the chain saw rolling and 58-83% chance of passing AV (AV7-9).

So vs AV7 blodger, you get AT LEAST a 51,66% chance of stunning the ballcarrier!
Leaping Chainsaw, that's gold! Of course... if he fails the leap... well, you're playing goblins anyway right?
Why do you need leap? you dodge in on a 3+rr compared to the 4+ leap. Just a thaught

[Currently sitting in corner, Grinning madly]
Shaniepoo on Children: "Is it child abuse if they enjoy it?"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

BIG Pete - I believe Stunty can no longer be used when dodging by players with the Secret Weapon skill. So unfortunately you need Leap for this option to be genuinely entertaining.

Smeborg the Fleshless
BIG Pete
Experienced
Experienced

Post by BIG Pete »

Damm, just checked. Well that p*ssed on my bonfire, was going to try that at the griffenbowl

[Currently sitting in corner, Grinning madly]
Shaniepoo on Children: "Is it child abuse if they enjoy it?"
Fat_Emrys
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fat_Emrys »

A leaping saw's way classier than just strolling in anyway.

BBoing! is NOT bback! - see here for details
SChWiNG - The Society of Chainsaw Wielding Naughty Goblins - needs you!
Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

One of the many down sides to this is that you don't get a push back with the stab so even if you do get lucky the ball carrier goes down in the middle of the cage and the ball should still be protected when it lands. Whats more the Assassin doesn't come with Blodge so he will have a tough time next turn. Overall its a risky action with significantly less chance of success than the average Wardancer blitz.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Re:

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

I am so doing at the earliest opportunity....

I find Assassins gimmicky anyway, so doubling up the gimmick is no bad thing. If you're going to stab something, why not ninja in and stab the guy with the ball? Perfect.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Bert
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bert »

Wonder if you wouldnt be better of with multiblock pending that your allowed to use doubles? And between the two im in favor of the kamakazi chainsaw, cause you know hes gonna bite the turf hard on the failed leap :roll:

Makin' gravy without the lumps, Yeah Baby!