TV 100 Slann

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Choose

76%
24%

Total votes: 25

SierraKiloBravo
Veteran
Veteran

TV 100 Slann

Post by SierraKiloBravo »

Going back and forth a bit between two potential slann builds for a TV100 rez tourney.

Choice 1:
4 catchers
7 lineman
5 RR
FF1

Choice 2:
4 catchers
2 blitzers
5 linemen
3 RR
FF1

The skill package is 6 normal skills, so I'm inclined to take dodge on 2 catchers and sure hands on the 2 other catchers. The indecision comes in whether to take the blitzers. 110k is an awful lot to spend and I'm not sure really what skills I'd give them. It seems that it would have to be Block, in order to give the required punch and help mitigate the fewer rerolls, but I would then have no way to deal with blodgers.

With Choice #1, I'd build the catchers the same and then give Wrestle to two of the lineman and use them as my blitzers. Wrestle gives me more of a chance to put the ball on the ground, which seems to be the point in taking the four catchers. The extra rerolls will also help with the inevitable failed blocks and leaps.

Choice #2 has more team speed and flexibility with the blitzers' jump / diving tackle, but it is much less forgiving with the 2 fewer rerolls.

Thanks.

Reason: ''
Control the lightning.
MeatLoafX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: TV 100 Slann

Post by MeatLoafX »

I'm a Slann player and I don't think I'd ever take a blitzer in a tournament. Love them in a league, but definitely not for a tournament.

I'm a big fan of your first build - I've also been known to play a 3 catcher, 7 linefrog, Krox build with 4 RRs. The Krox can either give beef up front or play off the line to tie up several players with his high move/Prehensile tail.

I'd stick with one of those two builds or, if you really want a 12th person, you can play 8 linefrogs/4 catchers/4 RR. I know my friend Pauly took this to Gen Con 2010 and did well with it.

Skip the blitzers, though. Load up on wrestle if you can. I would consider Wrestle x3 or x4 if you can take more than 2 of a certain skill. Wrestle is just so incredibly useful.

I'd probably go Dodge x2 and Wrestle x4 (or x3 and one strip ball linefrog for those elf teams)

Listen to www.threedieblock.com - Your Blood Bowl Podcast
SierraKiloBravo
Veteran
Veteran

MeatLoafX wrote:I'm a Slann player and I don't think I'd ever take a blitzer in a tournament. Love them in a league, but definitely not for a tournament.

I'm a big fan of your first build - I've also been known to play a 3 catcher, 7 linefrog, Krox build with 4 RRs. The Krox can either give beef up front or play off the line to tie up several players with his high move/Prehensile tail.

I'd stick with one of those two builds or, if you really want a 12th person, you can play 8 linefrogs/4 catchers/4 RR. I know my friend Pauly took this to Gen Con 2010 and did well with it.

Skip the blitzers, though. Load up on wrestle if you can. I would consider Wrestle x3 or x4 if you can take more than 2 of a certain skill. Wrestle is just so incredibly useful.

I'd probably go Dodge x2 and Wrestle x4 (or x3 and one strip ball linefrog for those elf teams)
I'm intrigued by the Krox build, although I think it'll be tough sledding with this team either way. If you had to choose between 5 RR and no Krox and 4 RR and Krox, which do you choose? The thought of having a big guy and no back up players sort of makes me shiver, but slann appears to be all high risk / high reward anyway.

Control the lightning.
MeatLoafX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MeatLoafX »

I've played the Krox/4 RR build in a tournament and it worked out pretty well. I'd be tempted to go that way again. You have 3 catchers, so it's easier to protect them - and people will go after them. Plus, it lets you tie up a cage fairly well.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Of the two listed options, 1) every time. Bllizters do not work in tournaments.

But a better option IMO is:

Krox
3 Catchers
7 Linemen
4 RRs

Catchers are squishy, so only having 3 isn't that bad as you can protect them better. Krox is essential for Slann IMO ... gives you a safer option than leaping in every turn. Jam the Krox in and you should cause enough disruption to spread the play and make leaping in much easier / more valuable.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
MeatLoafX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MeatLoafX »

Great minds think alike. :lol:

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

I took the Krox to a tourney (Admittedley he had Block), but he was golden. I'd also advocate taking dodge on every catcher, it changes the way you use them completely.

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

Don__Vito wrote:I took the Krox to a tourney (Admittedley he had Block), but he was golden. I'd also advocate taking dodge on every catcher, it changes the way you use them completely.
+1

I got absolutely slaughtered by Dwarfs, but the Krox, 3 catcher, 4 reroll build was competitive in all the other ties.

Although a Guard Krox is probably good too if you have no doubles.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
SierraKiloBravo
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks for the advice. I could take a skill pack of 4 normal skills and one double, but I can only take two skills on any positional type. So, it would probably look like:

2 catchers with dodge
1 catcher with sure hands
1 lineman with wrestle
1 krox with block.

4 rr.

Hmm.

Control the lightning.
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

Thats almost exactly what I had, only I took Strip Ball on a Linefrog instead of Sure Hands on a Catcher. Worth its weight in gold the Strip/Wrestle skill choices, just changed how people positioned as they knew I was capable of 'pushing the button' almost any turn.

Kroxifrog to smush stuff and blitz into corwd with his tail.

Catchers to run rings around everyone with dodge.

Wrestle or Strip Ball to put pressure on the defence.

Wins every time*!!!

* Not guaranteed to win every time...

:lol:

MeatLoafX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MeatLoafX »

I like dodge, dodge, wrestle, wrestle, strip ball, and then either kick or another strip ball.

:)