Flesh Golems, do you need two for a tourny?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Flesh Golems, do you need two for a tourny?

Post by Warpstone »

I'm a necro newbie some I'm not absolutely sure where to scrimp and save when composing a TV110 roster for next year's Spike (yes, I know it's early, but I am really just that slow and lackadaisical a painter). When using Flesh Golems, are they best used in tandem or can you get by with just one? I ask because I either have to give up one FG or two of the other positionals to get a decent array of skills. What I need to figure out is if the combo effect of having two Stand Firm players somehow justifies their expensiveness?

Reason: ''
Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Flesh Golems, do you need two for a tourny?

Post by Joemanji »

I found them to be awesome in pairs. Give them Block (or Guard perhaps) and they are a real handful in tandem. Necros are a bash team lacking ST, so to not take both of the ST4 players available to you is strange IMO. Werewolves are great of course, but more so in league perhaps because of their myriad of development paths. They are very expensive for what they do in tournaments IMO. You can of course get all 4 into a 1.1m team if you drop a Wight:

2 Flesh Golems (220)
2 Weres (240)
2 Ghouls (140)
1 Wight (90)
5 Zombies (200)
3 Rerolls (210)

I'm not saying that is the best roster though.

It's difficult, because Necros are just more expensive, more rubbish Undead. Werewolves are probably the main fun reason to take them over Undead, in which case you want them both. Like most tier 2 teams, there is no perfect solution with Necros ... you always have to sacrifice something.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

You're right, it's always going to feel like a wicked compromise no matter which roster you settle upon. Actually it's even tighter with Spike because the TV110 includes the cost of skills so I'm hoping the roster only comes in at the TV95 range before skills are attributed.

Regarding the WW, you're right in that they are the fun reason to play the team in the first place. I'm surprised that you mentioned dropping a wight, because that's one more Block lost from the lineup. Wouldn't sacrificing ghouls be preferable or am I missing something in terms of speed on the wings then?

My problem with choosing Undead instead is that they seem a bit too much like a play by the numbers team and I worry they'll be boring and beardy. At least with Necro, the WWs and FGs have gotcha skills in Frenzy and Stand Firm that would make low TV play pretty interesting.

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Without block I found WW's and FG's burn't TRR's for fun and the FG's in particular still spent a lot of time on there backside! So I guess the sacrifice of a Wight to get skills for these players might be the right way to go.

It's still a team difficult to fit into a limited roster and then hard to play the fast and slow elements well as a team.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

My experience playing against Necros is that the FGs are awesome as a pair, whereas I do not fear a lone FG. Block is to be recommended on them. Their ability to tie up players (especially against bash teams) and to block movement paths should not be underestimated.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Darn, it does look pretty difficult to swing in the Spike format. I'd have to rely on just 1 TRR + Leader on a team with few ball playing skills. I don't think I'm lucky or good enough to cope with that.

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

having just one of anything can be easy to target/avoid, a matching pair is always a good thing to try for as a general rule IMHO.