Nurgle team with 1RR

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Nurgle team with 1RR

Post by Smeborg »

I played a small tourney with an experimental Nurgle team with just 1RR. My reasoning is that Nurgle need RRs somewhat less than other teams, as they rely more on the opponent failing things (which does not require RRs). The opportunity arose because of the generous house rules (TV130, strictly limited rules for doubles skills and/or skill pairs on the same 1 or 2 player(s), at higher cost, of course). Here's the roster I took:

Beast with Block
4 Warriors with Block
2 Pestigors with S-Hands
2 Pestigors with Wrestle
3 rookie Rotters
1 Re-roll

Results were quite good. 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. TDs: 10-5, CAS: 15-4. Wins were against Lizzies (2-0), Norse twice (2-0 and 1-0), and Slann (2-1). The draw and the loss were against the same well-coached Wood Elf team (2-2 and 1-2). Unfortunately the loss was in the final (in extra time). 4 of the 5 TDs conceded were against this team! I did not face a true slayer team (spam M-Blow), although I twice had to keep an eye on the Snow Troll, and every game saw an opposing Big Guy. Nor did I face the AV9 teams. So the roster depth was not tested.

Interestingly, in 4 of the games, I only used 1RR, not needing it in the other half. In the other 2 games I used 4RRs in each (extras courtesy of the Kick-off Table). In the final I ended the first half with 2 unused RRs (!), using my only RR of the match in the second half, in a decent attempt to go 2-0 up and win the game. This also meant that I failed a tough 2-turn score attempt at the end of regulation (double skull on the LoS). So although it is only 1 little tourney (10 players, but decent standard), I feel that the experiment was vindicated. Having 7 players with Block/Wrestle, including the Beast, was obviously a big factor. Having all 9 positionals seemed a great luxury.

It being a tournament, the usual strange things happened. For example, in all 6 games, my first turn of offense (turn 1 or 9) saw a S-Hands Pestigor fail to pick up the ball. This led to some hairy moments. I did pick the ball up once on the S-Hands re-roll in open play, though... Foul Appearance was a complete lottery, it worked once in the first 2 games, then 6-8 times in the 3rd. Disturbing Presence rarely came into play directly, with my opponents choosing mainly to run the ball (a correct strategy, usually).

If I play according to the same house rules again, I might be inclined to swap a S-Hands Pestigor for 2 Rotters, 1 of them with D-Player, as I did a lot of fouling. But losing the sole S-Hands Pestigor would be a blow. And in the one tourney where I took a D-Player Rotter, he was always out of position, or I lost players early.

All the best.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Nurgle team with 1RR

Post by sann0638 »

Bit of an old thread, but am doing some research as am putting together a Nurgle team for Cakebowl, having never played them. Will try and do some playtesting beforehand, but am thinking of:

Beast with Guard
4 CW with Block
Pest with SH
2 Rookie Pest
4 Rookie Rotter
2RR, 1CL, 1AC

It's 115, load of skills upfront, load more half way through. Can you see any immediate improvements?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

IMO the Beast should be given B-Tackle (my preference) or S-Firm.

You need some Wrestle, as you will face plenty of ball-carrying Blodgers. I suggest swapping Block on 2 Warriors for Wrestle on 2 Pestigors.

I normally prefer 13 players to 12 (because I do not like starting a drive with less than 11), but 12 is manageable if you have 8 positional players (which you do).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Good thoughts. Hadn't considered BT - love it as a skill usually, will give it a ponder and read some of the uber-thread.

Would prefer 13, but only have 4 rotter figures at the moment!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

OK, got spanked 3-0 by darkies in my first test game using the Guard Beast, a couple of blocking CW and a couple of wresting Pests as well as the SH Pest. Beast was constantly being half-diced off his marking target, so SF next time. Am probably going to drop one of the wrestling Pests for a Frenzy Pest, just because I love the skill.

Sure Hands worked every time, in that I failed the first pick up and made the second each time. Wrestle was good, and block gave a bit of certainty to a couple of my blocks.

We get a second tranche of skills the second day, so I'll probably tailor these to who I am likely to be playing (ie how well the first day goes...)

Mike

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Then you'll play Orcs and your SF beast will be fed a line orc and do nothing all game too... Different skills work against different opponents so you need to tool up to face the ones you think are most problematic.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Dilemma!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

claw on the beast, no-one will bind him anyways!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

DoubleSkulls wrote:Then you'll play Orcs and your SF beast will be fed a line orc and do nothing all game too.
You usually have to have a Rotter minding the Beast anyway, can't you opposition so he can block the Beast free with the Beast assisting? My Rotters usually buddy up with Warriors too, so they can block them free of Zombies or what have you so I can keep the ST close to the action!

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

Can you let me know how you get on sann0638? I'm thinking about taking Nurgle to Rocketbowl in October. Same TV I think, be interesting to see how your build gets on!

... Oh and good luck for the weekend! :orc: