Humans for flamebowl

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Humans for flamebowl

Post by fire olli »

Hi All,

I am still not sure what team i am taking to the flamebowl but one of the choice's is humans. So here we go.

2 x Thrower
2 x Catcher (Both block)
1 x Ogre (Grab)
3 x Lineman
4 x blitzer (2 with mighty blow)
3 x re-roll
1 x Coach
1 x cheerleader.

What do you think.???

I am also thinking of taking Nurgle but i am not sure what to take and what skills to have. So if anyone has got any idea's on Nurgle that would be great.

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Humans for flamebowl

Post by Smeborg »

fire olli - if you let me know the tournament rules for FlameBowl, I'll propose a Nurgle roster for you.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
James_Probert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by James_Probert »

<Grumbledook>I know what GW are like. I'm a gambling man, not an idiot ;]
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

OK, fire olli, here is what I think I would take if it were me playing Nurgle at Flame Bowl:

Beast
4 Warriors
4 Pestigors
3 Rotters
1 RR (yes, I mean one re-roll)
1 FF

Skills:
-----
Beast: S-Firm (2)
2 Warriors with Block (10)
2 Pestigors with Wrestle (6)
2 Pestigors with X-Arms (2)

I have played Nurgle in a tourney (just last weekend) with one RR, and it was very satisfactory (in 4 out of 6 games I used only 1 RR in the whole game). The Roster was similar to the above (but with a Block Beast, 4 Block Warriors and S-Hands instead of X-Arms). The Pestigors are the main beneficiaries of your tourney house rules (both Wrestle and X-Arms are skills of choice for them). So I think you should max out on them (you will, however, be vulnerable to S-Ball - can't be helped). I usually max out on Warriors if the format allows, and of course the Beast is essential (although S-Firm is a "quiet" skill for him - too bad, anything else is prohibitively expensive). 7 out of 9 Regen players have skills - this is good for skill resilience during a game (I rarely give skills to Rotters for this reason). With 2 Block, 2 Wrestle, and the Beast who can throw down a 3-dice Block or Blitz, you have good options for your first turn of offense.

On defense: the 2 unskilled Warriors and a Rotter can go on the line against most teams, leaving 3 tooled up ST players in second line. For a 2-turn defense, you may wish to keep all the Warriors and the Beast in second line (the "wall of Nurgle" defense). Other skills I considered were: 2 x Pro on Warriors (as a poor man's Block), 2 x Tentacles on the other Warriors, F-App on a Rotter, 2x D-Pres on Rotters, and D-Player on a Rotter. But alas, 2 x Block takes up half your skill points.

I rather like this roster. I hope it helps, and let us know how you get on.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I think the standard of coaches at FB may make a 1RR roster a little bit tricky. If your opponent plays well, he'll force you into situations where you burn rerolls.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

Cheers for your help smeborg, it give's me something to think about.

Not sure i like the idea of one RR, i'm not the best player as it is and only having one back up roll may just kill me off. Do you use any other rosters with more RR.

Cheers

Olli

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

For Nurgle I might try something like the list below. I think the Pestigors are key. Without the max number of them, I find you get outpaced.

3 Warriors (Block, 2x Tentacles)
4 Pestigors (Block, 2 Wrestle)
6 Rotters
3 RRs

I like Smeborg's idea, I might even try it one day. Just don't think FB is the most forgiving platform to try it out.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

In the tournament S. took 1RR I think he had block/wrestle on all/most positionals, and sure hands. Which is a very different set up. I think Nurgle will struggle here. Go humans!

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

fire olli wrote:Not sure i like the idea of one RR, i'm not the best player as it is and only having one back up roll may just kill me off. Do you use any other rosters with more RR.
If you want more RRs, you can simply "swap" a Warrior for a Rotter and a RR. Of course, each time you do that you lose a point of ST, a point of AV, Regen, D-Pres and F-App (you "gain" a point of MA, a point of AG, and Decay...). My experience is that, within reason, the extra Warrior is worth more than the RR. Nurgle rely on the opponent failing things, which does not require RRs. Last weekend's tourney was at a decent coaching standard. I used the RR typically:

- To avoid a catastrophic turnover early in the turn (e.g. double skulls).
- To attempt to score when I was in trouble.
- To GFI when I was in trouble.
- To make a promising sack attempt on the opposing ball carrier.

I lost the final of the tourney in extra time, after using only 1 RR in the match (I had sacked the ball carrier on the previous turn, I used the RR in an attempt to score, it failed, but if I had succeeded, I would have gone 2-0 up and won the match).

The 1 RR policy is like treating RRs as catastrophic insurance (only). I play conservatively with Nurgle, making my safety moves first, taking blocks in correct risk order, etc. This is how Nurgle play best anyway (if you have played Nurgle as a starting side in a league, you will understand). I don't think I have ever played Nurgle in a tourney with 3 RRs, you can't afford them, being 70,000 a pop, and with the "positional" players costing 100,000 each on average.

I fancy that the tourney format you have is favourable to Nurgle. I would expect them to perform better than the organisers expect. Shame I can't be there!

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless