Underworld Tournament Team

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

wapcaplets
Rookie
Rookie

Underworld Tournament Team

Post by wapcaplets »

The Orion Cup is in Toronto this coming June and I'm planning on taking an Underworld Team. It's 1100 TV, Star Players allowed, and you can pick one of the following skill packs:

1. +1 ST or AG to one player, +1 MA or AV to another player
2. 5 different players get a normal skill, a sixth player gets a doubles skill
3. Two different players get two normal skills

Skill pack #2 seems like the best choice for Underworld. The team build I'm thinking of taking is:

Skaven Blitzer x2
Skaven Lineman x2
Skaven Thrower x2
Underworld Goblin x6
Warpstone Troll
Bomber Dribblesnot
Reroll x3
Apothecary
Cheerleader

For the skill-ups I've got two scenarios in mind:

Scenario #1:
- Horns (Underworld Goblin)
- Two Heads (Underworld Goblin)
- Big Hand (Skaven Thrower)
- Claw (Skaven Blitzer)
- Claw (Warpstone Troll)
- Dodge (Skaven Blitzer)

Scenario #2
- Horns (Underworld Goblin)
- Two Heads (Underworld Goblin)
- Big Hand (Skaven Thrower)
- Claw (Skaven Blitzer)
- Claw (Skaven Blitzer)
- Block (Warpstone Troll)

The idea of having Claw & Mighty Blow on the Warpstone Troll is really appealing but I'm wondering if it's wiser to use the doubles skill to put Block on it instead. I'm figuring it's a pretty safe bet that any other Big Guys I face will have Block so I'd hate to lose that battle on the line but dang that Claw/Mighty Blow combo is tempting. Thoughts/suggestions?

Reason: ''
Come to Blingtoof's Gitbash, a goblin-themed Bloodbowl Tournament! November 5-6, 2011 (Toronto, Ontario)
Chris Engler | Podcast | @wapcaplets
Blood Bowl Achievements: Wooden Spoon (Canadian Open 2011)
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Underworld Tournament Team

Post by Tourach »

would never take claw as the only skill to a blitzer in a tournament unless i know EVERY other opponent has a av9 team (and even then i would consider another skill). I like claw on the troll. I would take guard on the blitzers. I would take another guard on a lino i think.
Both 2 heads and horns are nice on the goblins so i would probably go for that just as you. Block or leader is nice on the thrower more so than big hand i do think!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

In this league, AV9 is almost a requirement :D

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Having taken underworld to a few tournaments, here are some comments:

1) Skitter Stab-Stab is great. The bomber is also lovely for the cost but you should definately be trying to fit skitter into your team, a gutter runner melds extremely well with the underworld defensive style and it improves your offence dramatically. Notice that skitter doesnt have animosity.

2) Skillset #2 is definately the best of the set. Having multiple skills spread over several players is very powerful and that skillset gives you significantly more skilled players than the other two.

3) A claw troll is a must have item. Claw doesnt make it reliable but it definately makes it dangerous, which is what you want. The troll isnt going to be your playmaker anyway - mostly you are going to be marking people and throwing blocks to try and get rid of an annoying lineman. Claw gets rid of that annoying lineman. All of this isnt essential to your team or even your basic game plan... but it is an extremely cheap plan B that will occasionally win you games by accident.

(a claw/MB player is also a huge boon against dwarfs and chaos dwarfs, both of which would normally give you a massive headache)

4) A guard storm vermin is really really good. If you can keep him in the right place you will be glad you took this player more or less every single turn of every single game.

5) You dont have to take all the skaven. The skaven are useful but more expensive than goblins. They also lack dodge and they are only ok at blocking, not great... goblins are often more useful on the pitch. Still take lots of skaven but there isnt a good reason to max out on them, I usually find that the first skaven thrower is amazing value for money but the second skaven thrower ends up being a very expensive lineman who you end up wishing was a goblin.

6) Your normal skills are so good there isnt a great reason to take a doubles skill. Maybe dodge on the thrower or a strip ball goblin or something. But only if you want one, I would feel free to ignore the double.

Given the ruleset I would go for...

Troll (claw) - 11
Storm Vermin (guard) - 9
2 Linerats (wrestle, wrestle) - 10
Thrower (dodge) - 7
6 Goblins (two heads) - 24
Bomber - 6
Skitter - 16
Apothecary - 5
3 Rerolls - 21
1 Fan Factor - 1

... although there are plenty of good variations. Thats just the one I'd select.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

I concur with Silly, Skitter is an awesome Star for Underworld, but Glart can be better! Not sure about only taking one Stormvermin though. Only taking one thrower on the other hand is interesting. I've mucked about with teams with only a one Skaven, the troll, and the rest goblins and it was surprisingly effective due to their mobility.

I don't know about Bomber. For me the Bombardiers always seem to be more of a threat to my team than the opposition.

If it was looking like a bashy comp I would go:

Troll (Claw) 11
2 Stormvermin (Guard, Guard) 18
2 Linerats (Wrestle, Wrestle) 10
Thrower (Leader) 7
6 goblins 24
Glart Smashrip Jr. 21
Apothecary 5
2 rerolls 14

Or you might give one of the Stormvermin Leader as the double and give the Thrower Block. Strip Ball Wardancers being very common at most tournaments! Use the Apoth on the first injuried rat in the first half or the first KOed rat in the second.

Although if it was looking like elfbowl:

Troll (Block) 11
2 Stromvermin (Guard, Tackle) 18
1 Linerats (Wrestle) 5
2 Throwers (Block, Block) 14
6 Goblins 24
Skitter 16
3 Rerolls 21
1 FF

I would love to fit in a Horned gobbo somewhere, but I feel the skills are better on the rats.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton