Halflings! Tournaments! Oh Yeah!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Halflings! Tournaments! Oh Yeah!

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

I'm looking to take the 'Flings into tournament play in the next few months and I'd like to start a 'Tactics & Team Development' discussion. I've read the playbook over at BBtactics and a few of the threads here, but I'd like to start a more generalised discussion covering team builds, skill choices and game tactics. Anyone up for that? Cool...

I'll start then. I'm looking to go with the more 'hardcore' Halfling build (no Deeproot!). Is this a playable option in a tournament that doesn't allow inducements? In an 1150k tournament that would give you, 2 x Treemen, 14 x 'Flings and the full 8 x Re-rolls! Thats one per turn every turn.

Over to you guys! :orc:

Reason: ''
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Halflings! Tournaments! Oh Yeah!

Post by Afroman »

It's quite possible you'll every single one of those RR, but I think I would only buy 7 and put the rest on Cheer and Ass. Reroll denial is beautiful!

antipixi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by antipixi »

Don't miss the opportunity to steal your opponents rerolls! Drop the rerolls down a couple take the chef and some cheer/ass coach to deny them even more during the game.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM WALES!
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

I'm in agreement with the Re-Roll denial, I've seen a few teams with cheerleaders and assistant coaches in their builds purely for that purpose, and Flings are great at it, especially if they bring a chef along too.

Most tournament rulesets I've seen allow Flings a little more leeway in regards to Star Players, Inducements and the like, so the Chef seems like it could be an ever-present. If you're not after Stars anyway, it won't hurt you.

I'd also glad that I've brought 'Hardcore Halflings' into the BB lexicon ;) As I've said before, if you've got 14 Flings, then your opponent gets 5 'free' causalities before you're a short tubby man down. Flings are poor at the best of times, but short-handed Flings are in trouble.

For an overview of my Fling tactics, I'd say this:
  • Don't be afraid to two (or even three) die block uphill. You'll probably have a re-roll for it if needed, and some excellent results can come.
  • Dodge, dodge, dodge!
  • The One Turn Touchdown should not be attempted every time you receive, as it's a great way of giving the ball away.
  • Rooted Treemen make great turrets. Flings make great missiles.
  • Hit and run - gang up in one spot for one (or two) dice blocks, fouls, etc, then run away. They cant hit you if they're not next to you.
  • Don't be afraid of ST4 players. If you've only got one Fling involved in a block there at the time, what's the difference between it and ST3? Great to frustrate Black Orcs, Chaos Warriors, etc, when their precious ST4 is no more effective against you than a Lineman type.
  • If you see something, try it - what's the worst that could happen?

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Cheers for the input Ulthuan. It was you that inspired my thoughts along the 'No Deeproot route!' :orc:

I've just checked through the rules for the tournament I'm thinking of taking them to and it does allow the use of the Chef... No brainer really. Especially as it only costs 50k rather than the normal 100k! My list would look something like this:-

2x Treemen
14x 'Flings
6x Re-rols

Leaves (I think) an extra 20k to spend. Two Cheerleaders? Two Assistant Coaches? One of each? :-?
Ulthuan_Express wrote: Don't be afraid of ST4 players. If you've only got one Fling involved in a block there at the time, what's the difference between it and ST3? Great to frustrate Black Orcs, Chaos Warriors, etc, when their precious ST4 is no more effective against you than a Lineman type.
Thanks for that little gem of advice as well. That's not something I had actually thought about before (new to 'Flings see!). Sounds like it could be very annoying... Something I can play with! :orc:

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

betterZthenDeaD wrote: 6x Re-rols

Leaves (I think) an extra 20k to spend. Two Cheerleaders? Two Assistant Coaches? One of each? :-?
:
Too many RR I rather just get 4 or 5 maximum, but probaly just 3 is as good. plus 0-3 you get from the chef it's fine you don't need a RR every single turn and is very dificult to spend them all even blocking two dice against.

If star players alowed Puggy is a must. Zara an option. Even once saw both and the team behaved greatly.
If a double skill alowed block to the treeman is a no brainer.
5 FF 1-2 cherleaders and 1-2 assitant coaches is a good investement for surpluss money if you gain FAME +2 "throw a rock" and "pitch invasion" are great fun for halfling and RR recovery denial is great.

Normal skill advances for halflings go for side step and diving takle, but a ball carrier with sure feet is handy.

Finally when deploying in defense leave always a halfling behind the trees so you can throw him far away if the oposition doesn't pick the ball up at first turn. May be he can even score in the oponent´s drive Nº1!!! And if not is never nice having a halfling behind your defensive lines!! :o

duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

I agree with the above. If you want to maximise your Re-Roll denial chances then drop some of those re-rolls and take the Chef with several Cheerleaders and Coaches. If allowed, have a high Fan Factor to win the initial Fame Rolls. A high FF may give you a good shot at +2 Fame each game.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I like Bertha, bit different than the ever present Mr Strongbranch. Definite Chef. Only TTM if necessary, and try and get a few squares into the oppo's half before trying it.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

txapo wrote:If star players alowed Puggy is a must. Zara an option. Even once saw both and the team behaved greatly.
I'm hoping to have a go at Ulthuans patented 'Hardcore Halfling' approach, so although star players are allowed I won't be taking any.
sann0638 wrote:Only TTM if necessary, and try and get a few squares into the oppo's half before trying it.
And remember to move the tree to the 'Fling rather than the other way around... as I found out during my first Halfling game! :lol:

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

Willow Rosebark is a nice option...........

"In Dodge We Trust"
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Pug wrote:Willow Rosebark is a nice option...........
Why anyone would take a blockless blocker Starplayer is beyond me. Between Her and puggy I've had much more success with Puggy.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I think it’s more to do with ST4, AG3, AV8 thick skull, SS.

So she makes decent LOS fodder (well compared to flings) but also has more mobility than the trees and can handle the ball, though loner makes her unreliable.

I have used her with wood elves and she wasn’t very good with them since she was only a little more survivable and a lot less mobile but since she’s so cheap she could eb useful fro flings.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Well my point exactly,
spubbbba wrote:I think it’s more to do with ST4, AG3, AV8 thick skull, SS.
Compared to ST3,AG3,AV6 Blodge,NoS for 10k less, P sound as a more reliable piece to me.
spubbbba wrote:So she makes decent LOS fodder (well compared to flings) but also has more mobility than the trees and can handle the ball, though loner makes her unreliable.
P is less likely to fall on the LOS, is as fast and agile as W and doesn't eat RRs while blocking.

Of course, chances are I've just played her badly :)

Smithysworld
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Smithysworld »

Puggy all the time

Matt 'The Ginger Prince' Smith

NAF no. 15560
BBLE record: Smithsville Tigers (Humans) 12/0/4
Southfarthing Pie Men (Flings) 2/0/0
betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Bertha (lovely Bertha... oh I think you're a dream) Bigfist? Anyone?

... (Have a cool model in mind and I want to know how she plays... so to speak. Phnah!)