Strip Ball, Sure Hands, Kick, which is least important?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Which of these three skills would NOT be necessary to take?

Sure Hands
7%
Kick
36%
Strip Ball
57%

Total votes: 74

ZootSuitJeff
Experienced
Experienced

Strip Ball, Sure Hands, Kick, which is least important?

Post by ZootSuitJeff »

Hi folks,

I'm working on a Norse build for an upcoming tournament, and I've mostly worked things out, but I've come to a bit of a conundrum. I am adding skills from my extra skills pack, and I've given my must have skills already, but now I am down to wanting these three skills and can only afford to add two. So I'm asking this as a more general question, which of these skills do you think are most useful and which of the three do you think you could do without? I am adding the fact that this is a 1000TV Norse team, so they have average agility/speed and my build will have 2 rerolls plus a leader. Any opinions?

Reason: ''
dwbailey
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Strip Ball, Sure Hands, Kick, which is least important?

Post by dwbailey »

For me it is between kick and strip ball, but it really depends on your team and what the build rules are. If there are going to be alot of blodgers strip ball becomes more valuable. I am not personally a fan of kick for tournaments because it is a skill you are guaranteed to only use a couple times a game unless you are playing elves yourself or getting beat pretty badly. I know some people swear by kick but not me so that is my vote without knowing any of the other conditions.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Posting the rules of the tournament (TV, skills and such) would certainly help, as would knowing what you already choose.

ZootSuitJeff
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ZootSuitJeff »

Okay, okay, I guess I will tip my hand and say that I am working on this build for Zlurpeebowl, and probably some other tournaments, eventually taking the team to the World Cup, with slightly different tourney rules.

The tourney rules for Zlurpee are 1000TV, with 200TV pts of extra skills (double,normal or ma/av, one skill per player).

Here is my build:
2 Rerolls
Ice Troll (Block)
2 Ulfwerener (Block, Guard)
2 Berserker (Tackle,Mighty Blow)
1 Runner (Dodge)
5 Lineman (Leader, + 2 more normal skills)

Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

Ice Troll - Mighty Blow
Ulf - Block
Ulf - Block
Berserker - Mighty Blow
Berserker - Mighty Blow
Lino - Leader (double)
Lino - Guard (double)
Lino - Sure Hands
Lino - regular skill, I'd probably take Tackle or Fend
Lino
Lino
Lino
Lino
1x RR

13 players, 2RR's, protect your Leader

Good luck 8)

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

I'd take kick over strip ball. You are Norse, not Elves...the odds of a strip baller being a) alive, and b) unmarked to blitz the ball carrier are somewhat low.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Gotta take Sure Hands. Kick and Strip Ball are both good but optional. I think Kick is the power choice, but I also think individual coaching proclivities are more important.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

dwbailey wrote:I am not personally a fan of kick for tournaments because it is a skill you are guaranteed to only use a couple times a game unless you are playing elves yourself or getting beat pretty badly.
??? Kick helps when you're winning, not when you're losing. If you don't score, you only kick once. I agree it's better for elves, but the sucky Norse AV puts a lot more leverage on the early jump strategy; even after you recover the ball, the game can turn against you suddenly.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Kick is a prime skill for my Necro and Undead teams, regardless:

Set up fairly forward and kick short (pooch kick), diagonally 4/5 squares from your corner of the LOS... and on his/her weakest side.... With luck (or if you weighted the side you kicked to) you can either get a blitz, or overwhelm that side before (s)he gets control of the ball....

Given Norse and the amount of Frenzy you can start with... this should work quite nicely as most folks don't get within two of the sideline and give you great blitzable penetration....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
dwbailey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dwbailey »

mattgslater wrote:
dwbailey wrote:I am not personally a fan of kick for tournaments because it is a skill you are guaranteed to only use a couple times a game unless you are playing elves yourself or getting beat pretty badly.
??? Kick helps when you're winning, not when you're losing. If you don't score, you only kick once. I agree it's better for elves, but the sucky Norse AV puts a lot more leverage on the early jump strategy; even after you recover the ball, the game can turn against you suddenly.
Oops, Fingers didn't follow thought. Yes You will only use if winning!! :zzz:

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Jeff, strip ball is nice, but of marginal value given that you already have enough frenzy to take multiple shots at the ball carrier. Plus, it'll often be wasted against most rushing teams who will have sure hands anyway.

Having kick and your own sure-handed players is more valuable than a ball-popper who may never get to use the skill when it counts.

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.