slann and ogre skills

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

slann and ogre skills

Post by fire olli »

Hi all,

5 normal skills and 1 double for TV115 tournament.

So I am looking for some advice on skills for both teams.

Cheers

Olli

Reason: ''
betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: slann and ogre skills

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

what pieces are you taking (or thinking of taking) for the Slann? 'Cos what skills you take will depend alot on what pieces you're playing.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I have not played Slann in a tournament yet, although I have played against them and found them fearsome and resourceful opponents. The one doubles choice suggests that a Krox might be a good idea (so he can take Block). Many teams will have Big Guys with Block under this ruleset.

Generally speaking, Slann coaches disdain Blitzers in tournaments, deeming them too expensive, and spend their money on Re-rolls instead. A possible roster would be:

Krox
4 Catchers
7 Linefrogs
5 Re-rolls
1xAC/1xCL
TV: 115

Obvious variants would be to drop a Re-roll for an Apoth, or to drop a Re-roll and an AC/CL for a 13th player.

5 normal skills is not a lot for Slann, as all their players start with a skill deficit. A possibility would be:

2 Catchers with Dodge
2 Linefrogs with Wrestle
1 Linefrog with Kick

The Catchers without Dodge will be a bit vulnerable and under-powered, as will the many Linefrogs without Wrestle. But I am not sure you can do much about that unless you are prepared to forgo Catchers, or a Krox with Block, or Kick (which would seem to be a rather important Slann skill in a tourney). On the plus side, other teams will face similar skill selection problems. Slann definitely need lots of Re-rolls; I would consider 4 a minimum. But I suggest 5 Re-rolls plus AC/CL is a good substitute for skills under this ruleset.

All the best for the tourney.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I have also not played Ogres in a tourney yet, but I have played against them, and in one memorable game, I had my posterior handed to me on a gilded platter by a skillful Ogre coach. Against a less skillful coach, I got my record tourney casualty count (10).

I would suggest something like the following roster:

5 Ogres
11 Snots
3 Re-rolls
1 AC/1 CL
TV: 115

Skills: Break Tackle on all 5 Ogres, Leader on a Snot. If you want to give Block (or Sure Hands) to an Ogre, then you will have to give an AG skill to one Snot (say Diving Tackle or Catch). Unfortunately, it would appear that you cannot afford 6 Ogres.

Pick up and run the ball with an Ogre. Protect the Leader Snot while you can.

In any case, Break Tackle is the definitive skill on Ogres, and it pays IMO not to be cute with skill variety - just max out on Break Tackle. This way the Ogres are a constant threat on both offense and (especially) defense. You do not need to worry about positioning.

Good luck with the tourney.

Smeborg the Fleshless
MeatLoafX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MeatLoafX »

For Slann, I'd keep it simple. Take Block on a Krox if you use one, otherwise load up on wrestle and dodge (catchers). Kick is a great skill, but I don't take it in a tournament format - I'd rather turn as many linefrogs as possible into blitzer/ball hunters.

Listen to www.threedieblock.com - Your Blood Bowl Podcast