Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys

Post by Runejack »

Here's how I went!

I decided to bend mostly to the majority of the feedback I received. My roster:

4 Blitzers - 3 with dodge, 1 with tackle
2 Witch Elves - block and wrestle
1 runner with leader
4 linemen - 1 with kick
1 reroll, 1 fan factor, 1 apothecary

What would be my random first opponent? A Dwarf team with a very competent coach. He had a lineup that included no runners. It was something like:
2 blitzers - sure hands and guard
2 trollslayers - mighty blow
7 or 8 blockers - 3? guard, 4 mighty blow
3? rerolls

I couldn't have asked for a worse match up as he stole my dodge advantage and laughed at my tackle. I still came reasonably close to a tie or a win, but in the end we were outmatched and outplayed. Having a couple more reolls would have left me feeling more comfortable doing more risky plays without feeling like it was all or nothing. I can't help but feel that is the big reason to try and take as many as possible.

I ended up 2 - 2 - 2 with my other loss being a major butt kicking against Nurgle, but also the game I enjoyed the most and learned the most from. My two ties were both games where we didn't finish due to time. I also tied against a race I had never played against before, Slann! What a learning curve they were!

What I hope to take into my next tourney?
1. Make a roster that beats my hardest opponents, as the easier opponents tend to just work themselves out.
2. More rerolls.
3. 1 witch elf, potentially 0 runners.
4. Consider asking all my opponents if they wouldn't mind playing with a timer (the slow matches were not all my fault, but a timer would equalise it for both of us.)

I had a lot of fun and once again appreciate the advice I read here.

Joel

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Well done Joel - you did well. Well coached Dwarfs are tough opponents, and you also faced an extreme roster (7 x Tackle players instead of the normal 5). Also, in my experience, Nurgle always enjoy playing against DEs in tourneys.

I suggest Wrestle on both WEs (Wrestle is never wasted, unlike Tackle). And I think a Re-roll would be better than an Apoth. You might take a second Runner with a skill (say Dodge), by dropping the FF and Kick. That would give you maximum speed (8 x MA7 players) and 7 Dodgers. Even against Dwarfs and CDs, you will normally face 5 or 6 players without Tackle.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Smeborg wrote:Well done Joel - you did well. Well coached Dwarfs are tough opponents, and you also faced an extreme roster (7 x Tackle players instead of the normal 5). Also, in my experience, Nurgle always enjoy playing against DEs in tourneys.

I suggest Wrestle on both WEs (Wrestle is never wasted, unlike Tackle). And I think a Re-roll would be better than an Apoth. You might take a second Runner with a skill (say Dodge), by dropping the FF and Kick. That would give you maximum speed (8 x MA7 players) and 7 Dodgers. Even against Dwarfs and CDs, you will normally face 5 or 6 players without Tackle.

All the best.
Thanks for the encouragement. It's a lot to think about for the next tournament I attend (no idea what or when that will be.) I quite like the idea of skipping tackle as frenzy + wrestle should be sufficient. I also think kick won't be in my next lineup.

Joel