Racking up SPPs in a League, any tips?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Southshire Stoutboys
Rookie
Rookie

Racking up SPPs in a League, any tips?

Post by Southshire Stoutboys »

Hi all,

Long time BB fan here, but only recently discovered this forum (thanks to another player) and have started to look around for some ideas and inspiration to improve the skills of my team. We've just started another league (1.2 mil gc, I'm playing humans) in my neck of the woods and I'm thinking about how best to rack up some SPPs for the team, something I seem to struggle to do compared to other players in my area.

I mainly play Humans or Halflings and compared to my undead team with these two I struggle to get SPPs up. With halflings this is understandable with the higher player turnover etc, but the humans? any ideas?

My team currently includes:
2 blitzers
2 catchers
1 thrower
1 ogre
5 linesmen
Griff Oberwald (single star player bought for the season is a league option for us oldies, but has associated costs per match)

Opponents include:
chaos dwarf, skaven, wood elves and necromantic currently with more teams joining the league and some results/teams not in yet for league standings

Skills etc I'm fine with it's just racking up the SPPs I'm after...

cheers,

Southshire Stoutboys

Reason: ''
Setomidor
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Racking up SPPs in a League, any tips?

Post by Setomidor »

Hi!

Personally I rely on scoring a lot with humans initially to get the SPPs flowing. What I mean with scoring a lot (of course you score as much as you can), is not trying to work the clock. From a SPP perspective, it is of course better to lose a game 3-4 vs. Elves than attempting a 1-0 lockdown.

If you like passing, building catchers with Block/Diving Catch and a Thrower with Accurate is a solid way of ensuring a constant flow of SPPs. Try to score with the Blitzers early on too, get Mighty Blow on both if it's a longer league, otherwise consider what you need to win on the short term (that is usually Guard or Tackle).

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Well if you are going to stick with humans then 4 Blitzers are an absolute must. They are your best and most versatile players (even though they are 10k too expensive IMO) so probably your best chance of getting spp's since they can bash and score with a reasonable degree of reliability.

I always take guard 1st skill on at least 3 of them (unless they roll a stat or double) and usually after that MB, though sometimes tackle if facing a lot of dodgers and the throwers or linemen don't have ny of it.

Against slow teams you could sit deep with the thrower and do some quick passes to a catcher relying on the free re-rolls but this will fail 1 in 5 times on average assuming the thrower already has the ball. Plus with AG3 it's often risky to try picking up the ball so best to hang onto it and only pass/hand off if you have to.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
solarflare
Experienced
Experienced

Post by solarflare »

My guess is that the biggest obstacle you have to accumulating SPPs is Griff. If he is doing your scoring, then the rest of your team simply won't advance.

The team needs 4 blitzers. Score twice with each of the blitzers in order to get each of them the first skill up. And you do not need to put mighty blow on the blitzers for them to advance after that.

Hope this helps.

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

You really need more blitzers. They are the players that make me want to play humans. And they skill up quite easily to, by TS and CAS. Accurate is also good, but will only help your thrower

Wil
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Wil »

I would start by posting your query in the League forum instead of the tourney. :P
But you have gotten some sound advice here. Cheers.

The things you own end up owning you. . .