Going to Spiky Open

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Going to Spiky Open

Post by Chris »

Rules here
http://www.spikyclub.com/e107/request.php?25

So, my first tournament in, umm, 6? years. The last I think being a GW blood bowl and having the pleasure of coming 20 something with my goblins.

Still that was many rules sets ago.

Now I am off to the spiky open - what to do with all these complex rules?

To whit
A MAXIMUM of 1,200,000 Gold Coins are available to Field your team
The Match Wizards have banned the use of team wizards at the event. But all other inducements may be used as part of your team roster.
To do this you will need to either pay the price for the star player you want from the list in the living rulebook or Purchase your players skills.At +20,000 per new skill. You may only purchase skills that may normally be taken by that player type (with a new skill roll) and you may not purchase the same combination of skills on more than one player. You may only create experienced and veteran players (up to two skills per player). The amount of skilled players you can buy depends on the team you are using...

I have 5 painted teams (everyone else is packed away, half done, temporarily missing etc).
Undead - Max 3 star players
Orc - Max 4 star players
Norse - Max 4 star players
Necromantic - Max 4 star players
Goblins - Max 6 star players

Though the goblins would be amusing (I presume 3 bribes, buckets of secret wepons, 3 trolls or 2 trolls and Morg etc) I would like to take at least one tourny seriously (I suspect now I will get beat by Goblins).

So any tips for the remaining 4? What do people normally do in this type of buying environment? Do you get a load of inducements like both bloodwieser babes?

Reason: ''
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Re: Going to Spiky Open

Post by Don__Vito »

I unhelpfully suggest you take Goblins so we get a new UK #1 coach after six years! ;)

(Unless you are some kind of stunty guru and set a new unattainable goal!)

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

On a slightly more helpful note, there's not many tourney's where you can take a CPOMB player too (Claw/Mighty Blow/Piling On). Granted, a Snow Troll isn't 100% reliable but a ST5 CPOMB'er isn't something to be taken lightly. Couple that with a Dodge/Sure Hands Runner and you have a pretty mega team already. Chuck in a Block/Guard Ulf and a Block/MB Ulf and that's what I'd take from the options given?

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I can see the attractions of the norse and will undoubtably have to deal with teams like that there. But my record with norse isn't that good, especially as I am still more than a little rusty. I would also have to paint 1 catcher :)

I think ultimately its an undead squad with a fairly unsurprising block/sure hands ghoul, tackle/something wight and then either a guard/mighty blow wight or a wrestle/strip ball ghoul. Not sure on that last choice.