Goblins at 1100k

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Big A
Rookie
Rookie

Goblins at 1100k

Post by Big A »

Hi,

I'm thinking of playing Goblins at the next tournament that I am attending and was looking for advice on the starting roster and skill selection

The rules are.
1100k starting roster
-3 normal skills may be purchased on separate players out of the 1,100k starting roster (20k each).
-3 skills (1 may be a double) may be added to your roster for Game 3 onwards. These skills cannot be allocated to a player that already has had an extra skill added in the starting roster.
-3 skills (1 may be a double) may be added to your roster for Game 5 onwards. These skills cannot be allocated to a player that already has had an extra skill added in the starting roster, or added from game 3 onwards.

Star players and inducements are allowed (no special play cards)

My proposed team is
Starting
2 Trolls
Fanatic
Looney
Bombardier
9 Goblins
3 Bribes.
3 Rerolls
Only 2 skills at the start (instead of the max 3) which are break tackle on the trolls. = 1100k
(I have not selected the pogoer to get a 14 player team and the 3 bribes)

For game 3 onwards
Hail Mary Pass on the bomber,
Grab or Mighty Blow on the fanatic
Sidestep on the looney

For Game 5 onwards (see what happens)
Maybe leader or dirty player on a goblin + whatever.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

A

Reason: ''
Chris
Legend
Legend

Re: Goblins at 1100k

Post by Chris »

Can you add more than one skills on the same player - so say a block, guard troll for example? If so i would consider having a bashy troll game 3 onwards.

Is it better to wait for HMP for the bomber or get the star player bomber with accurate?

Not sure I would drop the pogo - 'bought the only serious player on the team!

Big A
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big A »

1 skill per player max.

I'll have to have a few practice games with and without the pogoer, I haven't played goblins much before.

mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

I always put Dodge on my Looney, just for a little added protection. Roster looks good.

Big A
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big A »

Well I had the rules of the tournament slightly wrong.

2 Skills (one of which could be a double) before games 3 and 5.

First skills were Hail Mary on the bomber and mighty blow on the edit fanatic (not looney).

Next skills were sure hands on a goblin and side step on another.

The roster I took was the same as above. No pogoer

Played
Skaven won 2-1 (vs Junior)
Got a touchback and was able to give the ball to a breaktackle troll to slow the game down.

Norse won 2-0 (vs Redcard)
Did alot of KO's to thin out the Norse numbers

Lizards won 2-0 (vs Cutts)
Hail Mary Pass is very helpful doing 5 cas to the Lizards

Dwarves lost 0-1 (vs Thomsy)
The greatest play of all time became my greatest error. Dodge with the looney twice then GFI twice to chainsaw a dwarf runner, pick the ball up with the Hail Mary Bomber and throw to a goblin at the other end of the pitch who catches the inaccurate pass. I stalled for 1 turn to many and a troll slayer gets him and I am unable to score at the end of the first half (I was receiving in the second). I'm having nightmares about this. (If only I scored)

Dark elves lost 2-3 (vs Runejack)
Another great Hail Mary Pass to a player in the end zone who catches the ball after it scatters to him (without going out of bounds) in the rain. (caught the ball on a 5)

Skaven 4-1 lost (vs Doubleskulls)
Comprehesively beaten. Though happy I scored a TD.

Lots of fun ended up 3/0/3

It was a 4 player team event and my team all played stunties (+ Lizards) and finished 6 out of 7 teams.

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Goblins at 1100k

Post by Runejack »

Big A wrote:
Dark elves lost 2-3 (vs Runejack)
Another great Hail Mary Pass to a player in the end zone who catches the ball after it scatters to him (without going out of bounds) in the rain. (caught the ball on a 5)
You forgot the other one turn TD through throw team mate in the second half to equalize and get even my own teammates barracking against me! It was enough to give me goblin night terrors for a week!

(Thanks for the good close game!)

Joel