1200 Nurgle + 6 free skills

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

1200 Nurgle + 6 free skills

Post by fanglord13 »

Am seeking a little advise on Nurgle in a tournament environment. Sandgroper cup is 1200 with 6 free normal skills and have to have 1FF. 1 Star Player is allowed.

1 x BoN w/Stand Firm
2 x Warrior w/Tentacles
1 x Warrior w/Block
1 x Pestigor w/Extra Arms
1 x Pestigor w/Wrestle
1 x Lewdgrip Whiparm
5 x Rotters
3 x RR
1 x FF

This is the likely list, but am open to suggestions. I love Tentacles as a skill choice, particularly on Warriors. The warrior with block is the main hitter, the wrestle pestigor is for ball carrier sacking with the other Pestigor for catching duty. Lewdgrip is obviously for ball handling and throwing duties.

My only thoughts were to change one of the Tentacles for Block to give a bit more hitting but don't think only 1 Tentacled warrior is enough. In this tournament environment it is very likely that there will be a couple of skaven coaches and I REALLY HATE gutter runners (unless they are on my team!). Also thought about changing Block for guard to help assist tentacled warriors.

Idea for the team is to play up Nurgle's strength: the disruption game.

Reason: ''
JaM
Legend
Legend

Re: 1200 Nurgle + 6 free skills

Post by JaM »

I think the key to do good in tournaments with nurgle is: get the beast, 4 warriors, at least 1 pestigor, and 3 rerolls. I think you need that 4th warrior, and perhaps NOT lewdgrip (not sure what he has though).

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I agree with JaM's comments. I have not used Lewdgrip, so I don't know what he is like in practice, but what worries me about him is that he is a Loner. Thus simple things like dodging, blitzing and going-for-it are hazardous for him (especially if he is carrying the ball, which is likely). The main use implied by Lewdgrip's skills would seem to be as a rapid ball distiributor rather than as a ball holder.

I would be inclined to take the 4th Warrior, and to prioritise bread-and-butter skills such as Block (Warriors) and Wrestle (Pestigors) with 1xS-Hands (Pestigor). Beast: either B-Tackle or S-Firm. In any case, I would not expect to do well with just 1xBlock and 1xWrestle (they are good players, but they are easily taken out by blocking, blitzing and marking, leaving you with no blocking skills).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Lewdgrip has Sure Hands, Pass, Strong Arm and Tentacles. Tentacles on a ST3 player is not great, but it is still am extra roll the ooponent has to make. He has built in re-rolls for the things he will be doing (pick up and pass) so Loner not a massive issue on him and it frees up skills on other players (ie don't need sure hands on a pestigor).

The question is whether to go Lewdgrip or an unskilled warrior and unskilled rotter. That would give me 13 players which might give me an extra for fouling but that is about all.

Currently leaning towards guard on the beast and maybe even guard instead of block on the other warrior.

If I was buying skills I would totally agree about nerfing Lewdgrip in favour of the extra warrior and skills

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I quite like Lewgrip as he opens up new options for the team with sure hands and pass, tentacles is always nice verses catcher types as well. Getting 4 warriors (all with block) is the safe if rather dull option though.

Can you stack skills? Strip ball wardancers will be very nasty against you so a block, sure hands pestigor would be your best protection against them.

I wouldn’t take more than 1 tents on the warriors as it is not much use vs basher types and you already have the Beast.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

No skill stacking sadly :(

Really hoping to get a couple of test games in before the tourney. Tend to agree that 2 tentacled warriors might be overkill so will try guard or block on him instead.

Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

I am playing Nurgle this weekend at the Dungeonbowl. My first two skills were Block and Wrestle on Pestigors. Turned out to be very valuable because you blitz with them all the time, carry the ball and so on. And they are the fastest players .

And you should take 4 Warriors. Maximize Nurgle's defining strengths and abilities.

NAF-nick: Heroic_Tackle
German RTO for the NAF
Come and join the Killing Spree, a Blood Bowl tournament in Berlin on the 12.10.-13.10.2013! http://www.ufobnbb.de/killingspree/
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd be taking a beast, but leave him unskilled for the 2nd day draft.

Skill up the 4 warriors... TBH 4xBlock is always a good choice, but you could take a guard too, and perhaps a claw or mighty blow to scare the tough/soft teams a bit.

Other two skills I'd take Wrestle on a Pest (to use as a sweeper/sacker) and if you don't take Lewdgrip Sure Hands on another Pest.

Thankfully Decay won't hurt, so there is little reason not to take the rotters as they are very cheap.

So beast, 4 warriors, 3 pests, 4 rotters, 3 RR and 1 FF. Potentially you could drop a pest for two more rotters, giving you 13 players.

To justify Lewdgrip I think you end up dropping a reroll and a pest, but effectively get another skill, so I think its pretty even.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Do you think it is wise to run only 2 re-rolls?

I can definitely see the advantage of the extra warrior though so will look at tweaking the list.

I still see plenty of value in Lewdgrip though so might try and stick with him.

For the draft, do you suppose i try for block on the beast?

Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

DoubleSkulls wrote:So beast, 4 warriors, 3 pests, 4 rotters, 3 RR and 1 FF.
My favourite roster in such a format. Drool! :D
fanglord13 wrote:Do you think it is wise to run only 2 re-rolls?
No. Get three. Nurgle with 3 RR is miles better.
fanglord13 wrote:For the draft, do you suppose i try for block on the beast?
I used my Beast extremely passive at the DB (went 2/2/2 and had mostly close games, more or less, TV 105) and that was mostly better IMO. That´s why I like Stand Firm on it.

NAF-nick: Heroic_Tackle
German RTO for the NAF
Come and join the Killing Spree, a Blood Bowl tournament in Berlin on the 12.10.-13.10.2013! http://www.ufobnbb.de/killingspree/
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Right, to all the people that say you have to take Block on a Nurgle team in this format.....SUCK EGGS! :P

I took:

1x Beast w/Stand Firm
2x Warriors w/Tentacles
1x Warrior w/Guard
1x Warrior
2x Pestigor (1x Extra Arms, 1x Wrestle)
1x Lewdgrip
4x Rotter
2x RR
1x FF (required)

My record was 5 wins and 2 loses to finish 7th out of 46. The 2 loses were due to Orcs that could not fail anything and a 2-3 loss to Wood elves on the last turn (got elfed!), but it was fault for not positioning myself 1 square further away :roll:

We have a draft at the end of day 1 (4 games) and took kick on a rotter (which was gold!) and Guard on the unskilled Warrior.

By having that many tentacles players, I could control where my opponent hit me and whether they could get away. A pure disruption game that worked a charm. Played Orcs (0-2 loss), Orcs (3-0 win), Ogres (2-0 win), Necromantic (2-1 win), Wood Elves (2-3 loss), Wood elves (2-1 win) and Skaven (3-2 OT win).

Would not change a single skill selection and could not wipe the smile off my face all day with opponents fretting about how to deal with all the dist. presence, tentacles and foul appearance! On that note, foul appearance really did not work as often as it should have. In fact, out of 3 games (and countless block/fouls), my opponents had 1 failure between them! :-?

Also, I was worried about going in with only 2 re-rolls but found that I only ever needed 3 twice all tournament. Advantage of playing to the strengths of Nurgle and making your opponents roll more dice