First Tournament - Advice Sought

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Rotogar
Rookie
Rookie

First Tournament - Advice Sought

Post by Rotogar »

I've been playing Blood Bowl for a long time... online. Whether that was by email or java or now the Cyanide game. But I've played maybe three or four games face-to-face with an opponent. Never been able to find people who enjoyed playing or wanted to learn. I like painting minis, so over the years I've painted two Shadowforge teams, (bunnys & human females). Well, I found out my local FLGS is hosting a Blood Bowl tournament! I hold no illusions that I'll win, but I would like to do better than 0-0-3 for the day. But I've never ever tried to build a team for this kind of environment. So I am hoping for advice.

The rules state we build to a TR of 110. I cannot find anywhere in the rules that indicate that teams will either reset or progress normally, so I'm not sure what will happen after game 1. 20k buys a player a normal skill. 30k buys a double skill OR +1MV OR +1AV. No way to buy ST or AG increases. Each player can only get one improvement. The same improvement cannot be purchased more than 3 times. i.e. Can't buy Guard for four players. I would like the team to be fairly well represented by one of my existing painted teams - so human-type or elf-type. I've thought about it and I've narrowed it down to four choices.

Option ONE is Amazon. 6 Linewomen, 3 w/ Block, 1 w/ Leader. 2 Catchers, both w/ Sure Hands. 4 Blitzers, 2 w/ Guard, 1 w/ Mighty Blow. 1 RR, 1 FF, 1 Apoth.
Obvious advantages are 7 players with Blodge. Decent ball handling. Guard to help w/ assists.
Obvious disadvantages are Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf. 7 AV could be a problem. No advantage in stats (but no weakness aside from AV).

Option TWO is Norse. 5 Linemen, 1 w/ Leader. 2 Runners, 1 w/ Sure Hands. 2 Berserkers. 2 Ulfwerners, both w/ Block. 2 RR, 1 FF, 1 Apoth.
Obvious advantages are BLOCK across the board. Decent ball handling. 2 STR 4 players. 4 Frenzy to control the sideline.
Obvious disadvantages are the AV 7. And Frenzy can be a problem at times.

Option THREE is High Elf. 8 Lineelfs, 3 w/ Block, 1 w/ Leader. 1 Catcher w/ Dodge. 2 Blitzers, both w/ Dodge. 1 RR, 1 Apoth.
Obvious advantages are AG 4 across the board - every one can score. The only AV 8 team on my list.
Obvious disadvantages is the ST (no Guard to help out).

Option FOUR is Wood Elf. 8 Lineelfs, 1 w/ Kick, 1 w/ Leader. 1 Catcher w/ Wrestle. 2 Wardancers, both w/ Strip Ball. 1 RR, 1 Apoth.
Obvious advantages as AG 4 & MV 7. And two Strip Ball Wardancers.
Obvious disadvantages are the AV 7 and almost no skills to help w/ that.

Any comments on possible pitfalls or ideas I may have overlooked would be great. Additionally, opinions on which team might do better in a tournament environment would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reason: ''
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: First Tournament - Advice Sought

Post by Magictobe »

TR 110. You start with this team and will always start each game with that team. You don't have deaths, you don't gain skills. You don't have stat losses or Niggling injury's.

You don't have a seperate budget for the skills you can buy or does that need to come from the budget of 110? I guess, when I read what you write, that you will have to buy them from same budget.

Amazones seems a good team in that type of tournament.
You have only one RR which is not enough. You have a leader so could be two if he doesn't leave the pitch soon.

I give sure hands to a blitzer. In that case you have a blodge player with sure hands. When you give sure hands to catchers, they don't have block so will get floored. I even play without catchers. 4 blitzers and then linemen.
Skills. sure hands on a blitzer, and two times guard on two blitzers and once MB on a blitzer. One leader on a linemen because it is cheaper then a RR. And that should do it with the skills.

Good luck and hope you get the bloodbowl bug.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

This is quite an interesting set of for a tournament, I too strongly suspect it will be non-progression. Otherwise people may lose interest if they get massacred in the 1st couple of games.

Amazons are very good in that kind of tournament, you can get a couple of subs and have up to 7 players with block so will still have a shot against dwarfs. I’d say the base zon team would be 4 Blitzers, 8 Linemen and 2 re-rolls for 860K. That leaves you with 240K to spend on skills and other upgrades.

I agree with Magictobe about giving a Blitzer Sure hands. Also catchers and throwers are really not worth it as they cost the same as a lineman with a skill so I’d take a block/wrestle lino over a catcher or thrower anyday. The only issue might be a lack of linemen models you have.

Here is a nasty if rather dull amazon sample team.
4 Blitzers , 3 with guard and 1 with sure hands(you might want to swap 1 guard for tackle)
9 Linemen, 3 with block (you could drop one of these for an apoth)
3 Rerolls.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Rotogar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rotogar »

Those are some great suggestions! You are making me feel a lot better about an Amazon team. BTW, I have no issue w/ Linemen models. Depending on which of the two teams I use, I have 10 or 11 models for lineelfs.

So I got the thinking.... dangerous, I know... Block is great when I am the one throwing the Block, I can line up the assists, I can choose the Block player to hit someone without Block. Wrestle seems to be great on defense. He's the one setting up the assists, he can throw the block with a Block player, but Wrestle still takes him down and I'll get to stand up before he does. So what about this lineup?

4 Blitzers, 3 w/ Guard, 1 w/ Sure Hands
7 Linewomen, 3 w/ Block, 3 w/ Wrestle, 1 w/ Leader (it's cheaper than a RR)
2 RR (3 w/ the Leader)
1 FF
1 Apoth (maybe put another skill-less linewoman instead)

I might drop a Wrestle to get Kick...

I've pretty much dropped the idea of going Norse (no good models to represent the Ulfwerners) or the High Elfs (Woodies do seem like a better tournament option [while I still think HElfs might be better in a league]). So it's picking between an Amazon and a Wood Elf team. And it turns out I can register as 'undecided' so I'll just get registered and decide at the last minute. I may even take both teams and decide as I walk in the door!

Rotogar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rotogar »

Better lineup...

4 Blitzers, 3 w/ Guard, 1 w/ Sure Hands
6 Linewomen, 3 w/ Block, 3 w/ Wrestle
1 Thrower w/ Leader (it's cheaper than a RR)
2 RR (3 w/ the Leader)
1 Apoth (maybe put another skill-less linewoman instead)

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Woodies are very strong in this format. I'd take 2 WD, 2 Catchers, 1 thrower, 6 Line, 1RR. Give the catchers all Block and the War Dancers Tackle and Strip Ball (or Frenzy and Strip Ball). leader on the thrower and kick on a line elf. 4 blodgers will give most opponents a real headache.

Alternatively take the Tree with Block :)

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams