Nurgle 110, 1RR build / 2 RR ballhandling?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Nurgle 110, 1RR build / 2 RR ballhandling?

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

Let's say you get 7 normal skills plus a double (not on a loner). When taking only one RR it looks like this:

4x Warrior (3xBlock, Leader)
4x Pestigor (2x Wrestle, 1x Block, 1x Sure hands)
Beast
3x Rotter
1x RR
1x AC

You get all skills before the whole tournament.
Sheer madness or workable?

Reason: ''
NAF-nick: Heroic_Tackle
German RTO for the NAF
Come and join the Killing Spree, a Blood Bowl tournament in Berlin on the 12.10.-13.10.2013! http://www.ufobnbb.de/killingspree/
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Nurgle 110, would you consider a 1RR build?

Post by txapo »

workable, sure hands counts as a RR in my opinon or may be as one an a half. Getting a lot of block wresle also helps and armour 9 and regeneration on the lider is quite handy too.

Good luck in the tournament!!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Yes, I have had considerable success in tournaments (e.g. second place) with Nurgle with 1RR + Leader.

In a very skill-rich environment, I have even had success with 1RR and no Leader (second place again, lost to WEs in extra time in the final).

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

Got to really play careful if going this way. Should be even more exciting, especially when the Leader gets blocked and fouled. *gulp*

German RTO for the NAF
Come and join the Killing Spree, a Blood Bowl tournament in Berlin on the 12.10.-13.10.2013! http://www.ufobnbb.de/killingspree/
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

I am struggling to even consider 2RR let alone 1!

Think you might need to adopt a different strategy tho. lose 2 pests for 2 rotters and a re-roll might suit better.

Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

That is / "was " my favorite build. That also allowes for all Warriors to get Block and the Beast Stand Firm. Rotter on Leader-duty.

Much safer. Stil intrigued about 4 Pestigors.

German RTO for the NAF
Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

So, there is another tournament on the horizon. TV 110 as well, but different skill set. You can pick and choose a bit, but it comes down to this:

A) 6 normal skills and 3 mutations
or
B) 4 normal skills, a double (no big guy) and 3 mutations

Getting Leader is not cheap this way. If I go with 5 x Block (Warriors, Pestigor), Wrestle (Pestigor) to minimize blocking turnovers I still need some ballhandling. The idea is to get Extra Arms on a third Pestigor (and maybe just Two Heads on two Rotters). Crazy idea ?
That would mean Beast, 4 x Warrior, 3 x Pestigor, 3 x Rotter, 2 x RR, AC and CL.

Or go Sure Hands on a Pestigor, one Warrior without Block. And 3 x Foul Appearance on all Rotters. :lol:

German RTO for the NAF
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

fanglord13 wrote:I am struggling to even consider 2RR let alone 1!

Think you might need to adopt a different strategy tho. lose 2 pests for 2 rotters and a re-roll might suit better.
So long as you have Sure Hands and plenty of Block then 1 RR should be okay.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Nurgle 110, 1RR build / 2 RR ballhandling?

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Using Nurgle for a tournament is madness no matter how many RR you take.

Eski
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Eski »

I play humans with one reroll.. 3 blocks 1 thrower lineman 1 Orge and 1 Zug.. 115tv I think.. Did pretty well except for the two match ups which ended with lots of death against which rerolls cannot counter..

Lots of blocks and sure hands is the key..

http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk
Look Up Bristol Vanguards Gert Bowl Tournment near end of July 2012
"MB and Piling On! Rerolls need not apply!"
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Using Nurgle for a tournament is madness no matter how many RR you take.
I think that's overstating it. They are nothing like as bad as tier 3 teams, but they do seem to average in the same bucket as the tier 2 teams (including Humans & Chaos). I think I'm actually surprised how bad their tournament record is. I can't help but feel that a lot of people just aren't playing them very well.

Smeborg got .556 record at the world cup, playing most of his games on table 1 for the team that finished 10th, and others have proven its viable to compete and even win. I know D'Arquebus won a 56 coach tournament with them. They are a tough team to play, but I think in the hands of a highly skilled coach (not just a good one!) they can be competitive against anyone.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Humans are not tier 2, they are a great low TV team with 5 Guard and Blodge catchers.
Nurgle are that bad, they are in fact the worst performing of the non joke teams.
How many games have you played with them?
There is no secret to using them, they can't block well, they can't move well, they can't ball handle well. They are AWFUL at low TV!!!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

There is a style of play (and a corresponding style of development) which suits Nurgle. It is a style which may seem counter-intuitive at first (it did to me), but once you get used to it, results get better and better.

I don't think Nurgle are one of the best tournament teams, but they are not far behind the top handful of teams. They manage with 2 re-rolls (this cannot be said for most teams). If you try to play them in the style of (say) Orcs or Chaos, you will get soundly beaten. I think this is why their overall tourney record is so bad.

At the World Cup, I felt well outclassed by Undead (draw/loss) and Lizzies (loss), both traditionally excellent tourney teams, but this was in part because the tourney format was favourable to them (2 Block Mummies, for example). The other teams I faced were Skaven (win/loss), DE (draw), Dwarf (win), Amazon (win) and Necro (win). I did not face WE or Orcs (both popular teams which are at least on a par with Nurgle).

The main drawback of playing Nurgle in tourneys is that you cannot afford any lapses of concentration, every turn has to be executed with care and accurate positioning. This makes them demanding and tiring compared to other teams. Tourney formats can also be unkind to Nurgle, they lack starting block and are expensive, thus they need both money and skills. They are fun, though, they unsettle opponents.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

For me the important thing playing Nurgle at a tournament despite their flaws is the uniqueness (is that a real Word?) of the team. Play to their strength. Like Smeborg said, they need to be played a certain way. Also, with lots of skills why are they a bad team, Jimmy?

In a TV 105 tournament with one skill before each game (double game four) I went 2/2/2. Won vs Orcs and Necro, tied vs Dwarves and Chaos, lost vs Orcs and Undead . No great result but there were close games and this was a very bad format for Nurgle.

My point is : Don't underestimate them.

German RTO for the NAF
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I don’t think anyone is saying that an experienced coach can not do well with Nurgle or beat any team in a 1 off game, but that doesn’t mean they can compare to other teams at low TV. You could say the exact same thing about vampires, a good coach can do well with them too but I don’t think anyone would claim they were tier 1 at low TV.

The simple fact is that as the team is so expensive you have to choose between players and re-rolls, something other top teams such as undead, orcs or zons don’t. On top of that most of your skills are very situational and your team starts with no block or ball handling skills as well as low speed and agility.

So in a TV 105 or less tourney with 1 skill added per game I would certainly put nurgle as tier 2. If it was 115+ with extra skills for the weak teams and all the skills picked before the game then they might sneak up to the bottom of tier 1.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.