Nurgle at TV110 with 6 skills

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Duder
Experienced
Experienced

Nurgle at TV110 with 6 skills

Post by Duder »

I am planning on playing a Nurgle team at the Three Die Brawl w/ TV110 and 6 skills (or 4 skills with 1 double or 2 skills with 2 doubles). I have some ideas on the team I want to play but would appreciate some advice.

I am thinking:
1 Beast
4 Nurgle Warriors
2 Pestigors
5 Rotters
2 RR
2 ff

though I am considering swapping a 3rd Pestigor for 2 of the Rotters.

For skills:
4x Block on Nurgle Warriors
Sure Hands for Pestigor 1
Wrestle for Pestigor 2

or:
4x Block on Nurgle Warriors
Sure Hands for Pestigor 1
Stand Firm for the Beast (or maybe Break Tackle)

or:
4x Block on warriors
Block for the Beast

I would love to hear any ideas on this team build.

Thanks

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Nurgle at TV110 with 6 skills

Post by Smeborg »

Duder - the 6 skill option is not bad, but I would be tempted by the 4 skills, 1 double option. There are a variety of choices with this:

(a) Block on the Beast

(b) Leader on a Warrior, allowing a strong 13 man roster (Beast, 4 Warriors, 3 Pests, 5 Rotters, 1 RR),

(c) Leader on a Warrior as a 3rd RR

I am most tempted by (b). I like to have 3 Pests, it makes for a far more dynamic team on both offense and defense.

Skillwise, S-Hands on a Pest is a must, then Block on at least 2 Warriors, and Wrestle on 1 (preferably 2) Pests. Hard to give the Beast anything with only 4 skills left to distribute (unless he gets the doubles for Block).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

I don't think the Beast needs skills, it's good enough on its own. Especially with limited skills. Sure Hands is a good choice on a Pestigor.

If you go for the double take Leader, SH, Wrestle and 2 x Block. I agree.

But go for 12players. 11 can work but in some games you will be short a player. Or you might want to foul.

There is also another option I quite like: 4 Pestigors, 3 Warriors, Beast, 4 Rotter, 2 RR, 1 AC. It lacks a 4th Warrior, but after playing two tournaments with nurgle I think the whole team could perform better.

Why two FF ? AC and CL is much better .

NAF-nick: Heroic_Tackle
German RTO for the NAF
Come and join the Killing Spree, a Blood Bowl tournament in Berlin on the 12.10.-13.10.2013! http://www.ufobnbb.de/killingspree/
Duder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Duder »

Thank you for the replies.

I am tempted by the 13 player team but I am not sure I can see taking leader. Taking leader would take up 2 possible skills on a team sorely needing more development. I suppose it is like getting a 70k RR for 40kish spending, but giving up 2 skills...hmm... I will think on it.

I am now mostly contemplating the 13 man team with 1 RR and 4xBlock SH Wrestle Vs the 2 Pestigore 2 RR 12 man team with the same skill set.

Jeremiah Kool: I guess I can see why CL AC is better than 2 FF. If the 2 FF wins you +1 Fame it helps on the 6, 8, 11, and 12 Kick off rolls. Granted that's an if and AC CL will always help on 6 and 8, which are much more highly probable than 11 or 12. I guess FF is just habit from non-tournament settings where I want the Fame for the extra winnings. Plus I can make minis for a cheerleader rotter and an assistant coach rotter to go with the team, which sounds fun to me, I like painting minis.

Thanks again for the advise. I am glad I have some time to think on it.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Duder wrote:I am tempted by the 13 player team but I am not sure I can see taking leader. Taking leader would take up 2 possible skills on a team sorely needing more development. I suppose it is like getting a 70k RR for 40kish spending, but giving up 2 skills...hmm... I will think on it.
I agree this is not a simple decision, but don't overlook that Leader in effect gives you 70,000 more money for your roster, and the extra player comes with 2 skills that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Smeborg the Fleshless
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Smeborg gives the best Nurgle advice around - I'm just jumping in to say we are thrilled you are coming to the Three Die Brawl! Woo Hoo!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Leader on the Beast is probably better than Leader on a random Warrior.
My advices for anyone who wants to win a tournament is don't use Nurgle but if you like them then just take what you like the most.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Jimmy - Nurgle have won a tournament in Australia.

I have come second several times with Nurgle in small tournaments. The best I have done in a large tournament with Nurgle is 4th out of 70.

My team at the world cup came 10th out of 80 teams, I played most of the games at board 1 with Nurgle.

So I know it is possible to do well with Nurgle in tourneys. That doesn't make them the best tournament team, for sure, but they can compete.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Duder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Duder »

I don't have any expectations of winning. That would be true with any team though. I am fairly inexperienced, which may be a reason to not play Nurgle, but I think they are a fun team aesthetically and with their unique skills. Also I have just recently finished my Nurgle miniatures which I am excited to use at a tournament (which will be my first tournament). I am really going to try roll with the punches and just have fun with either wins or losses.

Thanks for the warm welcome to Three Die Brawl SunDevil. I am very excited to attend. Attending is a birthday present from my family (June 2nd is my birthday). I have been pouring though Three Die Block episodes and absolutely love them. The Nurgle episode with Smeborg was one of my favorites and clinched my decision to play Nurgle. I posted here hoping for Smeborg's expert Nurgle advise and quickly received it. Thank you so much for that Smeborg, and thanks to Jeremiah Kool and Jimmy Fantastic as well.

Coincidentally I will be meeting a good friend at Three Die Brawl who will be playing as Underworld, which was the featured team on another great episode of Three Die Block featuring Smeborg. I think my Friend and I will be playing our teams against each other this weekend.

The team I am currently planning to use is the 13 man roster (Beast, 4 Warrior, 3 Pesty, 5 Rotter, 1 RR, 1 CL) with Block on the 4 Warriors and Sure Hands and Wrestle on Pestigors. This only leaves 1 RR which is also another potentially bad decision for a green coach, but I really like the idea of building the team to be as frustrating as possible during my opponents turn. Block on all warriors seems like a good way to do that.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

There is really no need to run a 13 man roster so I strongly suggest dropping a Pestigor and replacing him with a RR.
But really as long as you like the team and do what you want you can't go wrong.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Duder - thanks for the kind words. if you go with only 1 RR, you will need to be very disciplined. I have played Nurgle with 1 RR, but it was a skill-rich tournament, and I had 9 players with Block, Wrestle or Sure Hands. In that tourney (6 games) I completed 6 halves without using a RR. I would not expect you (or me) to be able to do that with fewer skills. You are right that having 4 Block Warriors will cause a lot of frustration for opponents, but having 1 RR means you need to be cautious and conservative in your own turn, especially with regard to move order and risk appetite. Probably my main use for RRs with Nurgle is to go-for-it, followed by re-rolling blitzes on the opposing ball-carrier.

Imagine that the RR will be used only for pure double skulls, or for a clear match-winning play (the sort that occurs but once a match).

With regard to Jimmy's comment on the 13 player roster, my own tournament experience is that 13 players suits Nurgle well. They are not a damage team in tourneys (they cannot be with only 1 skill per player). The ability to stymie is quite reliant on starting each drive with 11 players. With 2 reserves in the dugout, you have a good chance of making it to the last drive with 11 men (against normal opposition), or at least making it to the second half with 11 (against slayer teams). The Rotters are the only cheap players in the team, you might as well take advantage. 13 players also means you can foul (something I do more and more in tourneys as time goes by).

Hope that helps - let us know how you get on.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I would just like to add that I think this is a tough tourney format for Nurgle - I am not sure of the ideal roster for them. There are several that would probably work.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Smeborg wrote:I would just like to add that I think this is a tough tourney format for Nurgle - I am not sure of the ideal roster for them. There are several that would probably work.

All the best.
Smeborg! Just playing TheoryBowl here, but if you brought Nurgle to this tournament :D what would you go with?

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

SunDevil wrote:
Smeborg wrote:I would just like to add that I think this is a tough tourney format for Nurgle - I am not sure of the ideal roster for them. There are several that would probably work.

All the best.
Smeborg! Just playing TheoryBowl here, but if you brought Nurgle to this tournament :D what would you go with?
I'll have to think about that.

I was minded to bring my Chaos Dwarfs out of retirement for this particular tourney.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

To answer SunDevil's question:

I know which roster I would take: Beast, 3 Warriors, 3 Pests, 6 Rotters, 2RR, 1FF. It's a Warrior short, for sure, but I thoroughly dislike playing with less than 3 Pests - the team lacks speed and dynamism on both O and D. And it is common for at least one Pest to sojourn in the dugout. To be left with just one is not nice.

The skill selection is much more difficult, because in this format the team is 1 or 2 skills short. For me it would probably be a choice between:

(a) Beast:S-Firm, 2 Warriors:Block, 1 Pest:S-Hand, 2 Pests:Wrestle, and

(b) Beast:Block, 2 Warriors:Block, 1 Pest:S-Hands, 1 Pest:Wrestle.

Contrary to my advice given above, I can't bring myself to like a roster with Leader, as it costs (in effect) 2 skills, leaving the team with just 4.

I dislike the very weak looking Pest without skill in roster (b), thus I would probably go with (a). Block on the Beast has its advantages in a tourney, so does B-Tackle (mobile threat, including cage-breaking), but with so few skills on the team, I would probably go with S-Firm, and use him more passively, blitzing with him when necessary to relocate.

Hope that helps - not easy.

Smeborg the Fleshless