Halflings at 110 TV - help needed

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Halflings at 110 TV - help needed

Post by Der_Doodle »

Hi,
I decided to join a tournament with a Halfling Team but so far I am not sure about skill selection and team setup.

Quick summary of the rules.
1.100.000 Credits to buy stuff
Inducements except Wizard and Cards may be bought (Starplayers only for Stunty Teams)

Skill Selection between 4 Setups
A) 3 Players each 1 Skill
B) 1 Player with 2 Skills
C) 2 Players one a double one a normal skill
D) 1 Loner with a Double

As a fling Team I may choose 4 times an Option of those 4 setups (Well (D) is out of the question since I dont have Loners)

Current Plan for my Team:

240 - 2 Treeman
300 - Deeproot
330 - 11 Halflings
100 - Masterchef
120 - 2 Rerolls
=109 TV
Would have 3 Trees that way a Masterchef and 14 Players.

But Should I get an Apothecary, Cheerleaders and/or Assistant Coaches maybe and drop something cause of that?

About Skill selections fromt he 4 choices I thought about atleast twice (C) to give both Trees BLOCK.
That means I have 2 normal skills on Flings and 2 more choices open.
Now I could either use twice (A) wich means in total 8 of my flings would have 1 normal skill, or maybe another 2 times (C) wich means I would have 4 flings with a normal and 2 flings with a double skill (sure hands? block?)

I really would like some help what to choose... and what skills to pick :)

Thanks in Advance

Doodle

Reason: ''
Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Halflings at 110 TV - help needed

Post by Der_Doodle »

Noone here who has ANY experience with Halflings in a tournament?

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Yes there is,
I read about one guy playing his hundredth tournament game with flings in another thread.
I'll post it is I can find the thread.

I myself have never attended such a touney with Flings.
So what I am about to say is purely TheoryBowl:

Focus on what you do best.
Tree aren't killers. They are roadblocks. Break Tackle to keep them mobile make sure your opp has to commit people to avoid getting a Tree on the Ball Carrier.

If I read the rules you presented correctly then you can give an extra skill to almost all your players.

Get one(two is better) blodge fling and a lot of sidesteppers.
Why? Have you played against snotlings? Mass sidestep is a nightmare. They may even refrain from hitting you just to avoid giving you a better position. Swarm the ball with sidestep and you will delay the game a lot with only a reasonable amount of luck.

Playing flings can be very much about trick play.
Kick can be an option. Kick it deep. He has to get his sure hands guy to get it. Most surehands guys don't have block so a TTM-blitz at -2d is not so unreliable.
But it is gamble of course.

Sure hands is very nice but let's face it you cannot afford everything. And what is the point of having the ball if you cannot keep it?

Enought rambling.
Hope you get something out of this.

/Afroman

Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

I agree with Afroman in the most, but some personal issues:

- Go ahead with Break Tackle on the trees. They enter the cage at 3+ and block with 2 dice usually. This will be a nightmare for your oponent.

- Sidestepping is good, but I would prefer to have as many doubles as possible with the halflings (ideally two Blocks and maybe a Guard and a Dauntless will be also intimidating for your opponent). Spent the rest of normal skills in side step, maybe one sure feet (for the halfling semione).

Break Tackle would help your trees to follow the halfling attack, and as said they will be a nightmare in defense.

Your double-skilled halflings should be saved untill the endos of each drive, if your opponent wants to stall you, then save them and enter 3+ in the cage with your Guard and 3+ with your Block/Dauntless and get it away!

The oods are against you, you will need to protect carefully your "positionals" and also try to get read of your oponent's Guards and Tackles (with Deeproot?) before the final attack to the cage.

I guess you already know it will be hard, they are halflings!

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

Follow us also in Facebook...
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

kwek has played a LOT of flings in tournies. You should PM him.

keggiemckill
Rookie
Rookie

Post by keggiemckill »

I'm thinking about to using Halflings in the upcoming Spike! Tournament. Obviously I've never played Flings before. I'm just wondering if the 2 -110 builds are at all practical. I know everyone who has posted has done it with a more conventional build, like the one already posted. Please give me your opinions. Not having a chef is concerning to me, but it's the only way to get 4 big guys. I don't think having 11 players is wise either. These builds are going through my head as fun possibilities. I'm not looking to win the Spike! I'm just wanting to have some interesting and goofy fun. I'll be stuck with he same team for 6 games, so I'd like to be stuck with a stinker of a build.

Halfling 4 BIG GUYS!
2 Treemen=240
Deeproot Strongbranch=300
Bertha BigFist=290
7 Halfings=210
1 RR=60
Total=1100

An alternative build could be:
Halfling
A single Treemen=120
Bertha BigFist=290
8 Halfings=240
1 RR=60
MasterChef=100
Total=1100

The drunker I get, the more I spill!
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

Halfling 4 BIG GUYS!
2 Treemen=240
Bertha BigFist=290
7 Halfings=210
1 RR=60
Total=1100

One RR and no chef vs Bertha? I would say no. why? because Bertha doesn't have block, that's why. Never hire a star without block(or a secret weapon).

Three Trees, the chef and a a extra reroll and a larger bench would be my choice.

Something like this:
Halfling - Afromans Choice
2 Treemen=240
11 Halfings=330
2 RR=120
Chef=100
Total=1099

or maybe even
Halfling Puggy Edition
2 Treemen=240
Puggy BaconBreath=140
8 Halfings=240
1 RR=60
Chef=100
Total=1099

My 2 cents

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

I think you should take the Puggy option just because he's so much fun. Opponents really hate him - he's an annoying git. ST3 Blodger halfing = he must die and people go all out to do it. Throws out their game plan usually.

I only take two trees, Puggy, a host of hobbits and a stack of FF plus the chef. The chef is the key to winning with halfings. Hobbits are rubbish - but if their opponent drops a ball or fails a dodge because he's got no rerolls left, they stand a slim hope of getting touchdown.

The main thing to remember is that there's no practical build with halflings. They are all utter poo. Once you embrace that, you'll just have fun even if your team gets destroyed :D

My last two tournaments were with my Chef / Puggy combo and I managed a 2/2/2 and a 2/1/3 - pretty good for a crap team. Damn fun too.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Afroman wrote: Halfling Puggy Edition
2 Treemen=240
Puggy BaconBreath=140
8 Halfings=240
1 RR=60
Chef=100
Total=1099
I have ZERO experience with Flings but I play Goblins at tournaments a lot (playing them at Chaos Cup this weekend1) so I am a fellow stunty caoch/kindred spirit!

That said, I like the Puggy edition as well, as it gives you both of the THEMED stars for the team and Puggy is a total pimp. :) Only 12 guys so it's do-or-die, even moreso than most stunty games, but it's hopefully more fun as well!

Also, I'm boring but I'd put Block on the trees. Break Tackle is great in theory but it's more rolls (which you may or may not have) and the big drawback to the cage-breaking Tree plan is their TWO MOVEMENT! Who is going to cage up that close to a tree without also having a linemen marking that Tree? You can Break Tackle away from the mark and then not have it for the cage break. I'd rather Blitz the cage corner with a 6ST Blocking tree (3DB with that Guard Fling!) and then follow up than risk the BT roll and GFIs with 2MV.

Anyway, thanks for reading the thoughts of someone with ZERO Fling experience and best of luck to you! Kill some Elves please :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
keggiemckill
Rookie
Rookie

Post by keggiemckill »

Thanks for the advice guys. I am curious why use DeepRoot over Bertha? Is it mainly because of the block? Block is a good skill, but I am finding that it is over rated with low TR teams. 2/6 chance for my guy to drop on a block die. 1/6 to have him drop as well, if he doesnt have block. With enough RRs, which I won't have, both down isn't a big deal. Now with a Treeman and having to standup on a 4+, block is important. But, I have the mindset Bertha would be a greater asset than DeepRoot for down the field cage busting.

Since its a team that is built more for fun, it really doesn't matter which way I go. Thanks for the opinions. They have been helpful. I'll be most likely taking Afroman's build, with a possible change to Bertha. 2 more weeks until the Spike! so it's not a big deal yet.

The drunker I get, the more I spill!
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Well Deeproot gets both block and MB, plus he’ll be making 3 dice blocks against many opponents so has a pretty good chance of doing some damage and is not likely to suffer a turnover.

Bertha doesn’t have block and I don’t think MB either so her role is less defined. She’s more mobile but a lot less reliable and more fragile.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

I couldn't resist to answer the title of this topic.

EVERY halfling coach needs help at TV 110!!!! :-? :lol: :lol:

Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

Deeproot doesnt have Break Tackle. In a Tourney he will be tied up by mummies, Tomb Gardians or Black Orcs. The great thing about him is he doesnt have take root but he is very expensive for what is essentially a treeman with block.

I would say drop Deeproot and take willow rosebark. She lives on your LOS with 2 flings with the treemen behind throwing flings into their half. The gold you save allows you more RR's which are a godsend for a team that often relies on Throw Team mate to score TD's

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I played against Willow once in a tourney (I was playing Nurgle) and can confirm that she was a royal pain.

Smeborg the Fleshless