Unsure of best Elf lineup

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Unsure of best Elf lineup

Post by Toffer »

I am hoping to take Pro Elves to a local tourney later this year. it is resurrection style (team reverts to original lineup in each game with no progression) with 1,100,000gp to spend on your team. I thought I had it all sorted but last night I came up with a completely different lineup and thought I would put it out there for people to comment on.

My original plan was

1 Blitzer
3 Catchers
1 Thrower
7 Line elves
4 re rolls

Lots of re rolls and a good number of positionals for a passing game. Plus an extra lineman for the second half.

Then I thought of this (not sure why I didn't think of it before)

2 Blitzers
4 Catchers
1 Thrower
4 line elves
3 re rolls
1 cheerleader
1 assistant coach

This lineup doesn't give me a spare elf to make up for the bashing I will receive in the first half (elves go squish) but does have 2 extra positionals and 2 sideliners. It also has 1 less re-roll which may be an issue.

Thoughts? :-? :-? :-?

Reason: ''
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Unsure of best Elf lineup

Post by MattDakka »

I would take the latter option:

2 Blitzers
4 Catchers
1 Thrower
4 line elves
3 re rolls
1 cheerleader
1 assistant coach

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Toffer - normally I would consider 3RR + Leader, but i don't know if you can afford the Leader in this format, with only 3 skills on day 1 and another 3 on day 2. (MattDakka - 1 skill on each day may be a doubles.) The second roster is better - you need both Blitzers. But I might drop a Catcher and the AC/CL to get a 12th player. Then Leader may come into play as the 6th skill.

I am unsure of Pro-Elves in this format, it is hard for them to use the doubles skills. Dodge is the obvious skill on the Blitzers, the Catchers need Wrestle or Dodge, Guard would be the obvious doubles choice, but you would have to give it to unprotected AV7 players, and it would deprive the team of Dodge or Wrestle.

I would encourage you to look at your favourite Halflings for this tourney - you can take Block on both Trees. You can take a full roster with 3RR, the Chef, Apoth and 2 Babes for TV109. Other considerations are Stars, the Wizard and Cards (all inducements are available).

Another Halfling roster example: 2 Trees, 13 Flings, 2 RR, 2 Babes, Chef, leaving 150,000 for inducements (Wizard, Cards or Willow Rosebark - she is quite good against bash teams in my experience).

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

Paul

The little guys were a possibility but much as I love them I rarely do anything other than lose with them. Even with the extra TV I think they are not tournament material. They will need to stay in the beer tent and watch from the sidelines.

I think my double skill will be guard on a line elf. But I haven't given the skills much thought yet. Thanks for your advice on that I hadn't contemplated Leader and now you mention it it may be a good idea.

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

I don't know what skills etc you'd be getting, but my usual line-up for 1.1m elf teams is this:

2 Blitzers
3 Catchers
1 Thrower
6 line elves
3 re rolls

Gives you a 12th player for when someone (or some three/four) goes splat, 3 should be enough rerolls for an elf team (though you always will have games where they're gone in the first 3 turns), and you really want the 2 blitzers if possible.

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

Sandwich wrote:I don't know what skills etc you'd be getting, but my usual line-up for 1.1m elf teams is this:

2 Blitzers
3 Catchers
1 Thrower
6 line elves
3 re rolls

Gives you a 12th player for when someone (or some three/four) goes splat, 3 should be enough rerolls for an elf team (though you always will have games where they're gone in the first 3 turns), and you really want the 2 blitzers if possible.
better still disregard nº 12 and get an apo if allowed gives you a positional replacement in case one dies,...