What is people's experience with Khemri in tourneys?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

What is people's experience with Khemri in tourneys?

Post by Smeborg »

Hi all - I am gently considering playing Khemri in tourneys, possibly soon, possibly next year (but of course I need to get my team painted first!).

My experience with Khemri in league play is that it is quite difficult to win games with them, and they get a lot of draws, even when played accurately. Is this the same for those of you who have played them in tourneys?

Skill-wise I am open-minded. An interesting idea I saw recently in practical play was to give no skills to the Tomb Guardians, giving all the skills instead to the B-Ras, T-Ras and Skellies (unless doubles are allowed of course, in which case Block on a TG is a no-brainer). This seems a neat idea to me, I'd be interested to know if anyone else has clear views on skill strategy for this team.

All the best.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: What is people's experience with Khemri in tourneys?

Post by Darkson »

Don't know how relevent it is, but since Lycos won at ARBBL with a LRB5 Khemri, no one has taken them, even though they can take 2 doubles in their 7 skills (they get a bonus skill).

From talking to those that get to attend more tourneys than me (lucky beggars!) seems they don't get taken much, at least in the UK.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Sanns0638 (90210) has taken them a couple of times IIRc, (Welsh open this year) I think he likes Dodge on a throw-re if possible, however hopefully he stop correct grammer elsewhere and contibute something on this thread!! :wink:

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

I've taken Khemri twice (not NAF tourneys but similar set ups).

They benefit from the resurrection format since the weak AV7 Skellies and Thro-Ras bounce back, and Decay is not an issue. You can get away with one Thro-Ra because of this. And as the only roster with regen across the board in-game recovery can be quick.

Also some of the cheap stars are awesome, Sinnedbad is worth every penny of his 80k.

I would say I've punched above their weight in both tourneys I took them to (4th out of 24 and 8th out of 32 I think - and I'm really no grreat shakes as a coach).

Skill picks if doubles are not allowed - Block on Thro-Ra, Tackle on one Blitz-Ra and MB or Guard on the other. DP skellie. Foul like crazy and take Sinnedbad if you can.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I faced Sinnebad on an undead team in a tournament once and he was a bit of a pain even with his stab skill seriously underperforming.

But I’d be hesitant to take him in a tourney with less money due to secret weapon, you’d really need either a bribe or some subs or risk him only playing a couple of turns.

Smeborg I could see a lot of your low Tv tourney experience with Nurgle being useful for Khemri. The Guardians can make a solid wall that is hard for other low TV bashers to get through and regen across the board should mean you can maintain a decent sized squad all game.
I know some coaches go down the bash route with MB on the guardians and blitz-ras and possibly DP on a skeleton or 2.

The main problem I’d see would be moving the ball, this has always been an issue with Khemri and is now much worse in crp. Under the old rules you at least started with MB so had a shot at getting a numbers advantage. It is now easy to tie up the guardians with fodder and then proceed to beat up the AV7 skellies.

I’d say block on 1 thro-ra is a must and possibly leader on the 2nd if it allows you extra players. For the guardians I’d go either MB or guard (of course block if you can get doubles), Blitz-ras should get at least 1 tackle, possibly 2 if you expect to face elves or zons as they will be really tough for you.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I went into the welsh open with high hopes after my league experience, but it ended up quite messy (3-0-3 I think). I had a blodge thro-ra because stacking was allowed, but this left me with not many other useful skills (leader thro-ra, couple of guard). One of the losses was against skaven when I failed the pickup and couldn't protect it against gutter runner BS, one against undead which was a bit of a dicing, and one 2-1 loss against humans where I should have done that whole stalling thing but had given up a bit on my tournament placing by that stage.

So I'll probably take them again - I do enjoy playing with them, despite the AG, because the look on the other guy's face when up against 4 S5 monsters without Loner is awesome.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

spubbbba wrote:I faced Sinnebad on an undead team in a tournament once and he was a bit of a pain even with his stab skill seriously underperforming.

But I’d be hesitant to take him in a tourney with less money due to secret weapon, you’d really need either a bribe or some subs or risk him only playing a couple of turns.
I took him as the 12th man and was usually lucky to have a long drive with a score on T7 or T8. I've also had a Kick-Off result of Get the Ref which is very handy for keeping him for the second half. Yes you have to manage your drives carefully, but he packs so much punch for 80k I've found it pays handsomely. Those Skaven are suddenly much less of an issue when you are Jump-Up Stabbing their hairy arses.

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

On the question of skills, yes, I would put one skill on a TG max, probably Guard or BT, and probably quite late in the pick.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks for the lovely prompt feedback, guys, I really appreciate that.

Smeborg the Fleshless
lauth81
Star Player
Star Player

Post by lauth81 »

Just saw that thread a bit late, anyway my experience.

I love Khemri in a TV110 format that gives 3 or more skills before the first games. I give guard to all Tomb Guards then and never look back. Opponents hate this. One ThrowRa gets Block at one point as additional protection against leaping Wardancers or any 5+ dodging-into-the cage AG4 players and if you get a sixth skill I would consider tackle on one of the blitzers.

My setup: 4 TG, 2 BlitzRa, 2 ThrowRa, 4 Skellies, 3 RR (if I remember correctly).

The deepest voice in Blood Bowl (according to Pippy)