Da Bulls are off to Thrudbowl!!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mathias
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mathias »

Evening gents, as the title says I'm taking the bulls for their second outing and would appreciate some feed back on my roster for the event. Tournament rules can be found here http://www.thrudball.com. Hopefully I'll do better than my third to last place at the Spiky open last year which was my first tourney.

1 thrower kick, block
1 thrower, block
4 blitzers
4 BOB
1 troll, guard
3 rerolls, 1 apothecary.

Thoughts/suggestions are very appreciated.

Reason: ''
Black orcs crack under pressure!
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Da Bulls are off to Thrudbowl!!

Post by spubbbba »

Orcs don’t need 2 throwers as they are weak players on defence and not that great anyway. The only good reason is to get a cheap leader re-roll. So you could drop the block thrower and a re-roll and instead give the other thrower leader over kick which would free up some cash.
Possibly use a blitzer with sure hands as a ball carrier and drop both for 2 linos and a goblin or drop a thrower for a lino or goblin.

Subs are nice if you happen to get the worse of the cas war and can always start fouling with linos or goblins too.

Kick is an ok skill but better suited to the faster teams so I wouldn’t bother taking that. I’d also drop guard from the troll as it becomes useless when he goes stupid.

Blitzers are your key players so benefit the most from skills, guard is better suited to them as they are more reliable and mobile than the troll so you have a better chance of using it. You’ll probably want tackle as blodgers can be a real pain and MB is a decent pick too.
Black Orcs are much more effective once they have block so I’d consider that a good option as well.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Looked over the rules pack, and I'd be tempted by:

1 Thrower 70k
1 Bob, block, guard 120k
1 Bob, block, mb 120k
2 vanilla Bobs 160k
1 blitzer, tackle, mb 120k
1 blitzer, guard 100k
2 vanilla blitzer 160k
2 lineorc 100k
4 reroll 240k

No guarantee I've done my sums right.

For others posting, I think I've understood the rules correctly when I say that
- four players on the roster may buy 1-2 skills/doubles/stat boosts each
- no skillsets may be the same (ie two players cannot each take block, but if one has taken block another may take block+tackle)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

I'd go with something like:

1 x troll
4 x black orcs
4 x blitzers
2 x linemen
1 x thrower
2 x reroll

Skills

Block bob
Block guard bob
Block mighty blow bob
Guard bob
Guard blitzer
Tackle blitzer
Frenzy blitzer

I think I've got the sums right

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

Ahhh just noticed I've got 2 players with just guard. Well that's annoying. Of course you can change one of them for another skill (my choice out of the two would be change the blitzers skill) or cut the thrower for a Lineman and have two more normal skills to take

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Only four players - total - can take skills, whereas you have 7 players with skills. Unless I've seriously misunderstood the rules pack (itself a distinct possibility).

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Orc's can only "Skill up" 4 players, but they can have more than 1 skill each, just not the same combo.....

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yep. And no more than two skills each, I believe.

mathias
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mathias »

Cheers guys lots of food for thought. Quick question though, are goblins worth taking just to give the threat of a TTM TD?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Smeborg told me once that he'd fielded a 4 goblin, BOB-less orc team in a league and they were suprisingly effective. I can't comment personally, but I imagine you could have a laugh in resurrection giving it a go.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

mathias wrote:Cheers guys lots of food for thought. Quick question though, are goblins worth taking just to give the threat of a TTM TD?
With your build it may be an idea to swap a lino for a Gobbo, the TTM TD is always an option altho its a last gasp option, but a gobbo for can foul as well as an Orc, moves further than your lino and with Dodoge / stunty can get to places a lino couldnt.

But then again, I do love Gobbo's so my view is slightly slanted...... :wink:

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

mathias wrote:Cheers guys lots of food for thought. Quick question though, are goblins worth taking just to give the threat of a TTM TD?
I have not played Orcs in a tourney. However, I would say that if the rules of the tourney make it possible without compromise, then take a Troll and Gobbo for the one-turn-score attempt(s).

Bear in mind that you really need a team re-roll in hand to have a fighting chance of succeeding at a one-turner.

Against a team with Kick, it is much less likely to succeed.

Lastly, bear in mind that the Gobbo can make an excellent ball-carrier (Runner) against the right team (e.g. one that lacks Tackle, and cannot assault a caged ball directly).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
mathias
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mathias »

Ok heres version 2.

Thrower - leader
Gobbo
lineman
4 Blitzers 1 Guard, 1 tackle MB, 1 frenzy MB
4 BOB
1 Troll
2 RR
Apothecary.

Thoughts?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I wouldn't waste a skillset on a thrower. A couple of guard and Bobs with block will benefit you more. Why not take leader as a doubles choice?

1 Thrower 70k
1 Bob, block, guard 120k
1 Bob, block, mb 120k
2 vanilla Bobs 160k
1 blitzer, tackle, mb 120k
1 blitzer, guard, leader 130k
2 vanilla blitzer 160k
1 Troll 110k
1 Goblin 40k
1 Lineorc 50k or apoth
2 reroll 120k (plus leader)

That's 12 players (or 11 plus apoth)