Warpstone Cup Race

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Warpstone Cup Race

Post by Hitonagashi »

Hola folks,

I'm considering going to the Warpstone cup in a week or two, and the TV limit is 110k.

The thing I need to decide upon is which race to play. I've got my High Elves and my Lizardmen, but I'm bouncing back and forth between them.

In terms of playing ability, I'm a better Lizardman player than I am a High Elf player. That's not that big a deal though for me, it's more about having fun....which brings me neatly onto my dilemma. I like to win games, and this tournament has a random skill assignment factor. One 'skill' is a random magic item (which to all intents and purposes can be thought of any skill that is not a tier 1 skill) that you can assign to any player before a game starts, and move it around between games. Of the rest, 5 will be assigned randomly to players, and then rolled for (ie, the player who gets the skill is random), and the same player may have two or more skills, and there is 1 player who you can choose a skill roll for.

What I'm wondering is who this suits more? In the best case, Lizardmen would be super strong...a saurus with 2 normals landing on him would dominate, and if my "magic item" turned out to be claw...extreme pain. In the worst case, 5 skills on one skink and one saurus skill doth not make a strong team, especially if the magic item turned out to be something like Strong Arm...

High Elves on the other hand are a pretty good all round race. I'd be going with a 2 blitzer, 2 catcher, 1 thrower, 6 linos, apo + 3 rrs build, and while not being able to put dodge on the blitzers and skills on the catchers might hurt, at least a lino getting skills (even multiple skills) is still very usable. Block/Kick, Block/Dodge etc, many choices. On the other hand, High Elves aren't exactly a T1 team, and I'm a bit concerned how I'd stand up to Dwarves or Zons.

I'm currently leaning towards the HE, because I'm guaranteed to have fun with them. Whatever happens with the skill rolls, Elves can use them, and ditto for the magic item. That said, it almost feels wrong to be going to a tabletop tourney without my beloved scaly things :D.

Also, what do people think about the Warpstone Token (read the thread..)? My gut says they aren't worth taking for non skaven/underworld...

Reason: ''
natsirtm
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Warpstone Cup Race

Post by natsirtm »

Hey Joe, I heard you might be joining us on our trip.

I think the random skills will suit your Lizardmen more TBH. Getting a bunch of skills on your HE thrower or just a bunch of linemen with skills may be tough.
Even if you get stuck with a bunch of normal skills on skinks - their speed means they just become even more annoying with SS, Sure Feet, Sprint.
Doubles you get a blodger or a guarder who can dodge into any square on a 3+
If the skills go on your Saurus, you will be a happy camper. Doubles might be a waste there, but who cares?

I am also thinking it's not even worth the warpstone token roll this year. I think the last year I went it didn't add to your TV, so it wasn't a hamper to just win one and not use it unless desperate, but at 50K I am gonna pass.

Reason: ''