Goblins or Chaos to STABB

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Goblins or Chaos to STABB

Post by Sandwich »

Hoping to get to STABB this year, and trying to figure out what to take.

Its probably a toss-up between Chaos ("tier 3", so TV1150) or Goblins ("tier 4", so TV1200); can buy up to 2 skills before it starts at cost (no stats), and one extra skill per game (1 can be a double, only 2 of the same skill).

To break this post up, I've split my choices below... hoping for some feedback on builds, and comments/suggestions are most welcome!

Reason: ''
Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Chaos

Post by Sandwich »

Chaos
I like the chaos team but usually they struggle at tournaments, needing skills. This one at least gives me some decent options here... though they'll probably still struggle.

Roster:
Minotaur + block (150+30k)
4 CWs (400k)
6 Beastmen (360k)
3 rerolls (180k)
==> 1120k

That gives me enough for a normal skill on a player - thinking Sure Hands or Extra arms on a beastman - plus a fan factor/coach/cheerleader. I could go with another double skill but not sure there's anything a chaos team could use over the normals.

With this roster, the 6 chosen skills would be 1 or 2 x block on CWs (I need to check this... buying Block on the mino may mean I can only choose 1 other?) with 1 or 2 MB and a claw on the others... then probably put a couple of retrieval skills on beastmen such as wrestle, tackle, strip ball.

I think this could be fairly competitive... but probably only for mid-table overall.

Here I guess I'm looking for suggestions over the skill choices... I've only played them at one tournament (I mostly play as elves) so I'm not entirely sure what they need most.

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Goblins or Chaos to STABB

Post by Sandwich »

Goblins
Goblins are one of my favourite teams... and having started them up in my local league (and spent a few hectic weeks getting them painted) it'd be a great time to break my tournament Stunty cherry. But here, the roster choice gets more interesting...

Roster:
2 trolls (220k)
Bomber + HMP (40+30k)
Looney (40k)
Fanatic (70k)
Pogoer (70k)
7 Goblins (280k)
Fungus the Loon (80k)
3 rerolls (180k)
3 bribes (150k)
==> 1160k

With this, I can get another double skill (block on a troll? sure hands on the pogoer? leader somewhere??), or buy a 15th player.

An alternative - more insane - roster would be:
2 trolls (220k)
Bomber + HMP (40+30k)
Looney (40k)
Fanatic (70k)
Pogoer (70k)
6 Goblins (240k)
Fungus the Loon (80k)
Nobbla Blackwart (130k)
2 rerolls (120k)
3 bribes (150k)
==> 1190k

Here I could drop HMP off the bomber (putting it as my chosen double instead) and buy a couple of normal skills (MB on the fanatic, dodge on the looney?), or I could spend the last 10k on fans/coaches/cheerleaders.

Having never played the little green guys in a tournament, and only faced them a couple of times, I'm not sure what best to go for.

I think the Fungus+Nobbla roster is possibly a bit too crazy, even for me+goblins (especially since I'd need to paint a second chainsaw), so am leaning towards the first - unless someone can post me a better roster.

And also: what skills would people go with? Normal skills I'd assume could be dodge on the 'saw, MB or grab on the fanatic, then stand firm/grab on the trolls and maybe some diving tackle or sidestep on regular gobbos. Anything I'm missing?