Human Build TR 110 proposal

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Human Build TR 110 proposal

Post by Necro10c »

Hey Guys,

Have been thinking about this for a while and thought I would like your input on it. In our national championship we play TV 110 and have 3 normal skills for the first two games and 2 normal, 1 double for the last 3 games.

However tier 2 teams get 1 extra normal skill before any game, and tier 3 teams get 2. In tier 2 is included humans. It got me thinking of various human builds, and I was actually thinking of the following, a little bit unorthodox, but interesting build:

Thrower - Sure Hands, Pass, Hail Mary Pass.
Catcher - Catch, Dodge, Wrestle
Catcher - Catch, Dodge, Kick
Blitzer - Block, Mighty Blow
Blitzer - Block, Tackle
Blitzer - Block, Guard
Blitzer - Block, Guard
Ogre - Ogre Skills
4 Linemen

3 RR
2 Ass. Coaches
2 Cheerleaders

Hmm... What do you think? Im in doubt about the MB on the blitzer, and as you can see I don't use the double skill, which otherwise obviously could go to the Ogre for block. For this build I prefer tackle over frenzy, and Im quite satisfied with the 2 guards and Im very impressed with what I have been able to do with wrestle so far.

Now to state the obvious: HMP and Kick, what am I thinking? Well... Im thinking that both skills can turn the tide quite remarkably in a game. For the slower teams kicking far can buy 1 - 2 turns before they get to the line of scrimage. For the faster teams a short kick can result in forcing them to try to score early, or at least not let them choose where to commit while a far kick can increase the difficulty of a 1 turn TD.

HMP plays well on the humans speed. Being able to keep the ball far from the line of scrimage untill the opposition breaks it and then using the speed to cut off the opposing players, while ponding the ball far into the back of the opposing half of the pitch is a surprising way of making a TD. Of course this should not be a 'standard' way of scoring, but absolutely a possible way of doing it...

So thats what Im thinking. Any comments?

Cheerio,
Necro10c

Reason: ''
Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Human Build TR 110 proposal

Post by Da_Great_MC »

Thrower - Block
Thrower - Leader
Catcher - Sidestep
Ogre
Blitzer - Frenzy
Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Dodge
Lineman
Lineman
Lineman
Lineman

Apothecary
2x RR

2x Fans
1x Cheerleader
1x Ass. Coach

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Necro10c »

I was kind of hoping for comments on my proposal, not necessarily looking for other proposals. One thing that strikes me though is that you chose dodge on a blitzer, why?

Cheerio,
Necro10c

remy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by remy »

I was fan of Kick but I think it is too unreliable to use in tournament. I like the HMP idea but I don't know if this trick will be useful against a skilled opponent. But I will probably try it :)

I also think that only 12 players without Apothecary is not enough for a human team. It is difficult to play human when you have less players than your opponent on the field.

Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Necro10c »

I agree that 12 isn't optimal without apo, but how do I get it into the roster? I think that 4 linemen are the minimum to be able to 'always' put linos on the LoS, and not skilled pieces. I like 2 catchers for the speed and a thrower for SH and HMP... And I wouldn't want to drop the ogre. So what to do?

Ah... Kick. Yeah I agree that it is both a bit controversial but I have been trying it out against bash teams and it really is a way to a. buy some time before they reach the LoS and b. gives you time to play your own bash game (by dividing their tema into 2 parts, needing to pick up the ball and trying to bash). But you might be right, Im looking forward to trying it in a tournament.

remy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by remy »

I use only 2 RR. It is generally enough thanks to all the skills you already have. You can also take Leader if you really want 3 RR.

Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Necro10c »

...and I lay thinking about that last night.

Hmm... that would give 90k, enough for apo and maybe upgrading the 4th lineman to a thrower/catcher. Or just keeping it and investing in 2 cheerleaders and 2 assistant coaches to get a better chance of getting the reroll on kick-off. That said 2 RR might be a bit too little for my taste. Worth thinking about though! Thx.

Jeremiah Kool
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jeremiah Kool »

IMO 12 players is enough.

Interesting choices with HMP (and Kick). You don't use those skills as often as the usual suspects but the ability to punt the ball away (especially on defense) is nice.

Why no Block on the Ogre? Makes him much more reliable, I'd trade Mighty Blow for that choice. With Block the Ogre will knock down much more opponents and will use his Mighty Blow.

NAF-nick: Heroic_Tackle
German RTO for the NAF
Come and join the Killing Spree, a Blood Bowl tournament in Berlin on the 12.10.-13.10.2013! http://www.ufobnbb.de/killingspree/
Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Necro10c »

Jeremiah Kool wrote:Why no Block on the Ogre? Makes him much more reliable, I'd trade Mighty Blow for that choice. With Block the Ogre will knock down much more opponents and will use his Mighty Blow.
Yeah, this is also my biggest dilemma with this build, namely do I sacrifice the MB for a block on the ogre. My thinking about it was to use the ogre to tie up players, and not necessarily activating him, and thus using MB on the blitzer more reliably (and more often) as I am a bit worried about bonehead. However, I do see the obvious usability of block on da big guy, both for keeping him standing when blocked and the increased reliability when blocking. Hmm... The choices, the choices! Do anyone have any tournament experience or opinions on this?

And another question. I put kick on a catcher instead of a lineman with the idea that if I lost a lineman I would have to either put my kick lineman on the LoS, loosing the kick ability, or put a skilled piece up there (which I would prefer not to)... Any ideas/experience with this?

On a side note, just wanted to show off my tourney team:
http://www.thenaf.net/index.php?name=PN ... pic&t=5783

Cheerio,
Necro10c

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I’d suggest trying HMP in some test games. I think you’ll be lucky if you use it once in the tournament. But if you are determined to go down that route then consider diving catch on a catcher. You only get 7 skills and all teams will get at least 6 so if facing a top team like wood elves, undead, dwarfs or Orcs with 6 optimal skills you really can’t afford to waste them on choices like HMP. AG3 teams should really not play the passing game as it is very unreliable.

Wardancers with strip ball are pretty common in those kind of tourneys so a block thrower is useful and I’d take a 2nd since they are good value (much better than catchers) and give him leader to save you 30K. Block on the ogre is a great doubles choice as well as is at least 2 guard blitzers. With the remaining skills tackle on a blitzer is an option as is block on catchers.

Kick is an ok choice as you have the speed to make the most of it against bashy teams if you want to kick deep and stop them caging up. Though I’d probably skill up both throwers, the ogre and 4 blitzers instead.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
remy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by remy »

Necro10c wrote:
Jeremiah Kool wrote:Why no Block on the Ogre? Makes him much more reliable, I'd trade Mighty Blow for that choice. With Block the Ogre will knock down much more opponents and will use his Mighty Blow.
Yeah, this is also my biggest dilemma with this build, namely do I sacrifice the MB for a block on the ogre. My thinking about it was to use the ogre to tie up players, and not necessarily activating him, and thus using MB on the blitzer more reliably (and more often) as I am a bit worried about bonehead. However, I do see the obvious usability of block on da big guy, both for keeping him standing when blocked and the increased reliability when blocking. Hmm... The choices, the choices! Do anyone have any tournament experience or opinions on this?
The ogre is the main "advantage" of human teams in TR110 tournament. If you don't rely on it, it is better to play amazons or dark elves. So you must give a skill on your Ogre and use him a maximum. Basically, you have three choices:

- As said Jeremiah, Block. Ogre is much more reliable, both in defense and in offense.

- Juggernaut, and blitz with him (almost) each turn. It can be interesting because it is almost equal to Block and you can give the double skill on an other player (guard on a catcher, or dodge on a blitzed).

- Frenzy, which is the option I am currently testing. It is riskier but you rely on yours Guard Blitzers to obtain 3D blocks with the Ogre. With only MA 5 and without block, it is sometimes difficult to use him. But, again, if I want to play safer, I play amazons or dark elves.

Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Necro10c »

Ok, (almost) listening to players with more experience than me, and remember this is only a try-out roster for the next tournamant Im in, Ill probably listen to all and try to modify it later:

Blitzer 1: Block, Tackle
Blitzer 2: Block, Guard
Blitzer 3: Block, Guard
Blitzer 4: Block
Thrower: Pass, Sure Hands, HMP
Catcher 1: Catch, Dodge, Wrestle
Catcher 2: Kick
Ogre: Ogre Skils, Block
4 Linemen

3 RR

Green = Before first round.
Blue = Before 3rd game.

I still really want to try out the HMP, but I think that you are right Squbbbba that it wont necessarily be used a lot. Lets see about that... Ive also picked the utilization skills (HMP, Kick and Wrestle) first round to get the most out of them, thinking that the team itself is good enough to take care of itself untill the third match where Block, Guard and Tackle will be added. A few things Im still at odds with:

3 RR. My primary team so far is the Necro team, where I believe that 3 RR are (almost) absolutely necessary in tournaments, but also that I dont need more. My reasoning about the 3 RR here is that it would help me by being more 'safe' blocking with my linemen. However, an APO would be nice to keep the skilled pieces on the team.

The Ogre. As stated above, I have a lot of experience playing without a Loner/Bonehead and Im a bit scared of using him too much (thats why I chose MB on a blitzer instead of block on him). However I see the potential with block on him, and even just to tie up people and stand there without activating, he is good. And thats the thing, if I choose block on him isn't that a 'wasted' skill if I dont use it? Remy, I agree that the ogre is one of the thing the Humans have going against DE/Zons, but I also see speed compared to Zons and Str. access compared to DE.

Lineman/thrower: I have 40K after I buy all 12 players and 3 RR. Should I upgrade a Lino to a Thrower, with the possibility of placing him on the LoS, or should I just keep the linemen and use the 40K for 2CL and 2AC to snatch any RR from my opponent?

Cheerio and thx for all the input guys,
Necro10c

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The main benefit of the Ogre on the human team is ST5 and AV9 making him hard to knock down and hurt. His job it to tie up opposing players and take hits meant for your more fragile and important players. The great thing about block is that you can use it in your opponents turn as well as your own. With some guard you can set up 3D blocks and he’s pretty reliable even with loner and bonehead. If he does some damage with MB then see that as a bonus.

Trying out HMP before the tournament is recommended. As this is the tactics section we normally suggest the most effective ways to win, but if you find it fun then go for it. That’s always the most important factor as you can have a great time with a skill that is sub optimal and you never know it may throw your opponents off their game facing a rarely taken skill. You might love it so much you’ll want 5 diving catch players (4 catchers and doubles on a blitzer). :D

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

I'm going like this in a tournament in Malmö Sweden with Eurobowl rules

4 Blitzers
2 Catchers
2 Throwers
3 Linemans
Ogre
3 Rerolls
1 Ass.coach
1 Cheerleader
= 110 TV

First 4 skills (extra skill for playing humans)

2 Blitzers with Guard
2 Catches with Block

Second 3 skills (one a double)
Ogre with Block
2 Blitzers with Guard

I think it's solid!

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

You might want to consider block and/or leader on the throwers too.

Block, sure hands in a cage with 2 guards is great against leaping wardancers. Leader frees up 50K to get an apoth or 13th player so you could go foul happy against the squishy teams and have 2 subs versus the bashy ones.