Ogre Build for Chaos Cup 2013 to win the CAS title!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Ogre Build for Chaos Cup 2013 to win the CAS title!

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

Real men take no RRs!

Reason: ''
Matt AKA WildManTX (NAF) AKA Nuffle_Hate_Me

T.O. R.O.T. Cup - Austin, Texas USA
http://www.rotcuptx.com
Necro10c
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Necro10c »

So 36 cas in 6 matches:

http://nafnewsletter.com/nafchampionshi ... EN,5BWRQ,1

Can you do better? ;)

Anyways as he suggest, a single tackle piece would be helpful against blodgers and as he also suggests, decide which title to go after!

I would totally go for the cas title :D

Cheerio,
Necro10c

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

I'm definitely going for the cas title. I considered Tackle but decided against it. Here's why - I have no interest in taking down Blodging Dancers, Elves, Ghouls, Norse Runners, etc. They will have the ball running down the sideline while I am mangling LineElves, LineNorse, LineZons (okay, they could be a problem), etc. I may never make a play on the ball in 6 games.

So those Blodgers will score. A lot.

And every time they do, I get three Line blocks and a Blitz. :) I was hoping for 30 cas in 6 games but if I'm doing really well cas-wise by the end of game 4 or so, I will try for 37. :)

So if you are playing at Chaos Cup 2013, avoid the last table. That's where my Ogres will be grinding up opposing player's bones for their bread. :)

EDIT - I just read Mr. Hannah's post and it was great! However, I feel like I got scooped! The things he talked about 'discovering' mid-tourney are things I'm well prepared for already! I wanted this to be an original accomplishment and even though I started this thread in JANUARY, it will look like I'm just copying him. :( Ah well, I'm still doing it because it will be fun! Now I'm going for FORTY!!!

It will be even more amazing to do it with ZERO REROLLS!!!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

I'm going to keep an eye on Chance's games and I'm hoping he racks up his share of kills! 8)

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

SunDevil wrote:1. Ogre = 140k (140k) BLOCK
2. Ogre = 140k (280k) BLOCK
3. Ogre = 140k (420k) BLOCK
4. Ogre = 140k (560k) Pile On
5. Ogre = 140k (700k) Pile On
6. Ogre = 140k (840k) Pile On
7. Snotling = 20k (860k)
8. Snotling = 20k (880k)
9. Snotling = 20k (900k)
10. Snotling = 20k (920k)
11. Snotling = 20k (940k)
12. Snotling = 20k (960k)
Cheerleaders (x2) = 20k (980k) (trying to get a RR with all the kick-offs!)
Assistant Coaches (x2) = 20k (1 million) (Same here!)

3 doubles skills (90k) + 3 normal skills (60k) = 150k

I do think I'll go with the Cheerleaders and Coaches since we will be kicking off a LOT!
My only question now is do I put BLOCK and Pile On on a single Ogre? Then leave one Ogre with no added skills?

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

In my last game at THRUDBALL this year I was pitch cleared by dutydave's Ogres, he had IIRC, 6 all with PO and caused 12 casualties in our match ( I had a 12 man roster) so my vote is PO FTW!!

All casualties count at Thrud, however the only player Dave didnt kill was my 1 remaining skink that was killed by a thrown rock on he final kickoff of the match!!

Good luck in your quest....keep us posted!

duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

glowworm wrote:In my last game at THRUDBALL this year I was pitch cleared by dutydave's Ogres, he had IIRC, 6 all with PO and caused 12 casualties in our match ( I had a 12 man roster) so my vote is PO FTW!!
My Roster at Thrud was 5 Ogres, 10 Snots and 1 Re-roll.

4 Ogres with skills as follows: PO/Break Tackle, PO/Leader, PO/Guard, PO/Stand Firm and the last one was my ball carrier with Break Tackle and Sure Hands.

I scored 38 Cas in 6 Games (Thrudball also counted CAS for fouling and crowd surf etc). I went 1/4/1 in games. The only game I lost was because the Skaven wouldn't stand still long enough for my Ogres to hit them.

Your roster should be fun but I personally would prefer at least 1 Re-Roll and a deeper bench. I'd consider dropping an Ogre for a RR and some more Snots. Whilst the Snots aren't going to necessarily help with the CAS they can act as a screen stopping the entire opposing team running past your big guys leaving them with nothing to hit.

Thrudball has a different rules-set to the Chaos Cup but the theme for the team is very similar. Mass PO is the way to go if only for the look on your opponents faces when you break armour without Mighty Blow. They often say "that's through without" and then they're almost reaching for their player to stick them in the CAS Box before you roll for injury.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

duttydave wrote:Mass PO is the way to go if only for the look on your opponents faces when you break armour without Mighty Blow. They often say "that's through without" and then they're almost reaching for their player to stick them in the CAS Box before you roll for injury.
I know fewer Ogres and a RR would be 'better' but I am intrigued by the challenge of winning a Chaos Cup award with zero rostered RRs. I hope to be the first to do so. :)

I do hope to generate RRs with the 2 Cheerleaders and 2 Asst. Coaches when we set up for kickoffs 5 or 6 times a game!

Thanks for the story - 'that's through without' - awesome! :)

wedge22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wedge22 »

I like your idea and look forward to seeing you reach 40 Casualties at the Chaos Cup, maybe I could try something similar at the Spike! I don't think the rules for the Spike! lend themselves to this build though.

Bloodbowl Teams for Sale
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Little over 12 hours to go! 6 gorilla/ogres, 6 snotling/chimps, no rerolls and no clue!

Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rewslaun »

Good luck

wedge22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wedge22 »

Well done on your winning Most Brutal at the Chaos Cup, I assume everything went as planned, what were your opponents teams?

Bloodbowl Teams for Sale
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Thanks! Most things went as planned, the team played great! However, their coach made some blunders. :P

Match 1 - Andy's Dwarves - Ogres kicked - After my first two line blocks were casualties, the Ogre/Gorillas (Ogorillas! - My Ogres were Impact! Silverbacks and the Snotlings were old Mega Minis chimps - Chimplings!) were off to a rollicking start! But then the seed of, "Hey, maybe I should get the ball and try to win!" was planted. :P The hits just kept on coming, I ended up with 6 cas and a 2-1 win.

CAS total - 6

Match 2 - Sean's Orcs - Ogres kicked - Winning sent me up to Table 8 and I once again tried to win. The Ogres almost stopped the Orc's first drive but the greenskins managed a dodge/hand-off play that put the ball out of our grasp. The problem (I didn't truly see it until next match) was that I was doing too much positioning trying to get the ball (you know, playing 'good' BB) that I was not maximizing my blocks. Then the Apes began acting like Ogres and there were enough Boneheads to allow the Orcs to turn us over and score some more. I don't have the final score in front of me (team sheets are at home) but I did have 5 casualties, both Goblins and then I cracked some Black Orcs near the end.

CAS total - 11

Match 3 - Andy's Skaven - Ogres received - This is where I made the biggest mistake of the tournament. After the kick went out of bounds, I got cute and put it in an Ogre's hands. Andy then played my very own Matador Defense on me! His entire team ran right at my Ogres and began beating them down while my one Ogre carried the ball, covered by two Snots, up the left side. With those three players out of the scrum, the Rats took full advantage of their 11-8 player count. Andy did a terrific job of bashing Snots every turn and his Rat Ogre went berserk - injuring two Ogres and KOing one. The Skaven won 4-1 or so and out-injured the Ogres 6-2 or something crazy like that. Lesson learned.

CAS total - 13

At this point Jonny P (once again doing a terrific job with Valdric, RowdyKatie, XTreme, and their crew running the Chaos Cup) announced the standings for the individual awards and I was tied for second! Bleh, I let the team down and vowed to do better!

Match 4 - Randall's Orcs - Ogres received - Randall ran his Orcs right into the Ogres - a true power stuggle! - while correctly taking out Snots right and left. The Ogres lost 4-0 or 5-0, something crazy, but we crushed 4 Orc skulls along the way!

CAS total - 17

Day Two

Match 5 - Anthony's Goblins - Ogres received - Terrific game, Anthony was a great sport and we had a great time! His Pogoer was actually a Goblin riding a squig backwards, which was sheer genius, and the Goblins rode his Sure Feet to a 5-0 win! However, it was bittersweet as they lost ten of their comrades to the Ogre's flying fists and elbow drops!

CAS total - 27

Match 6 - Spencer's Chaos - Ogres received - Once again my Ogres watched the kick sail over their heads and then got to work. At Chaos Cup, during the sixth round two linemen with no other skills taken get to have a mutation so I had 2 EA Snots and he had 2 Claw Beastmen. His team looked the part as it was a beautifully modified Slannesh-themed team - very cool! The Ogres injured one Claw guy almost immediately and the old "Try to win" crept back in. Luckily, the Snots rolled natural ones three times trying to pick up the ball and Spencer played very well with half a team so the Chaos cruised to the 2-1 win as a Snot scored on turn 8 for fun. The Ogres chalked up 7 more casualties and we had to hope it was enough.

Final CAS total - 34

Turns out it was. Second most cas was 26 so we feel good about the win. However, I still am mad at myself for ever playing the ball and feel it really cost me, especially against the Rats. I know I left at least 6 cas on the field which would have seen us break the record of 36 set at the NAF earlier this year. Still, Chaos Cup was a ton of fun as always! Thanks to all my terrific opponents and to everyone who offered advice on this build!

One last note, only had 3 blocking turnovers all tournament - a set of double skulls with a Block Ogre on the first action of a turn, a block/skull with PO ogre and a block/skull/skull on a 3DBlitz with a PO Ogre. We only generated 4 RRs all tourney with our 2 Cheerleaders and 2 Coaches. We are very pleased causing 34 cas with ZERO rostered RRs! :D

Recap on an upcoming episode of 3DB of course!

wedge22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wedge22 »

Thanks for the great write up regarding your matches, it sounds like the best advice you have is do not go for the ball, just keep on maximising the hits.

I am currently torn between two possible rosters and would appreciate some feedback in this thread if you dont mind.

The Spike! has a different ruleset meaning no more than 2 of the same skill per team can be given, thefore to maximise that I have the following line up.

6 Snots
4 Ogres 2 block and 2 pile on
Brick Farth and Grotty
Bomber Dribblesnot
1RR
Total 13 players

or

9 Snots
3 Ogres 1 block 2 piling on
Morg
1RR
Total 13 players

Bloodbowl Teams for Sale
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Do you have to take a star? If not, I'd skip them and just get more Ogres.

2 Block, 2 PO, maybe 2 Multiple Block as long as the blocks are with a Block Ogre and you get 2 dice.