1180TV Underworld

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

1180TV Underworld

Post by Dzerards »

Heading down to Galway for a tourney with rule set similar to White Isle.

1180TV, Must have a Star, Can't take the same skill more than twice. Underworld get 8 skill picks.

Thinking:
Troll (Claw)
Blitzers (Guard x2)
Throwers (Block x2)
Linerats (Wrestle x2)
4 Gobbos (Diving Tackle?)
3 Rerolls, 1 Assistant Coach & 1 Cheerleader
Skitter Stab-Stab
Fezglitch

13 players

Though I could trade Skitter and Fezglitch for Glart and an extra gobbo. Or trade Fexglitch for Bomber and and extra gobbo.

Any advice? Would either a babe or an apoth be worth it?

Reason: ''
"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
ceetee
Star Player
Star Player

Re: 1180TV Underworld

Post by ceetee »

Nice skills, but I would deepen the bench by dropping Fezglitch and a thrower for an Apo and as many goblins as can fit on the team bus.

ct
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

I can under stand dropping Fezglitch and the cheerleader and coach for 3 extra goblins, but why would you ever want to give up a Thrower?

ceetee
Star Player
Star Player

Post by ceetee »

Personal preference I suppose. Either drop a thrower or a lineman (at 118 with Fez, it makes little difference). The goblins are what give the team it's manoeuvrability, so as well as a deep roster, you need plenty of them on the field.

If you go with Fez, he'll definitely start, along with 2 blitzers, 2 throwers, 2 linos and the Troll, that leaves just 3 places for Goblins. I have found that more gobbos on the field makes the team operate better.

I usually take 1 thrower - SH can be invaluable, but more seems a bit like overkill on a non-passing team.

ct
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Those goblin(s) need 2 heads. Dodges on a 2+ to anywhere is what makes this team scary to play (against) :wink:

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

JaM wrote:Those goblin(s) need 2 heads. Dodges on a 2+ to anywhere is what makes this team scary to play (against) :wink:
Yeah 2 heads is awesome on goblins, they waltz through multiple tackle zones and it really helps keep them out of trouble.

I would either take a cheap star and get some more goblins or drop fezglitch. Your team is pretty fragile and will likely lose several players a half.

Skitter is great value but quite fragile so keep him safe. I don’t think Glart is all that good as claw is only useful against some teams and you have that on the troll combined with MB.

How about dropping a re-roll and give 1 thrower leader?

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

Yeah, I'm starting to think Fezglitch is a fun but ultimately uncompetitive choice. I thinking about dropping him out for a gobbo, babe and second cheerleader.

Plus with the rule set I'm expecting a reasonably high selection of secret weapons so not having one of my own simplifies things regarding whether to stall or score quickly, kick or recieve, etc.

Though I could do as spubbbba says and drop a reroll and the coach & Cheerleader, so as to keep, Fezglitch, plus add either two more gobbos or a gobbo and a babe.

Does anyone have experience with typical teams using this rule set, like from the last While Isle Bowl?

As for skills, I love Two Heads in league play, it improves their reliability, increases longevity and has great synergy with future skills like horns and big hand, but i don't know if I'm convinced for tournaments. Plus Skitter should be able to fill the role of a two headed gobbo if required.

My main thinking with Diving Tackle is the synergy with Skitter's prehensile tail and MA9 Shadowing! Though my thoughts are moving to whether Side-Step might be a better all purpose irritant?

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Clay - if you're still undecided, I suggest that a Pact team with 1RR might be a good idea:

3x Big Guys
3x Renegades
7x Marauders
1xRR

leaving 11 skills (one of which is Leader, of course). I feel Pact are a bit fragile and need 2 reserves. 11 skills is quite good compensation for 1RR. At least it means some Block/Wrestle on the team (say 4 or 5). Guard on the Ogre and Troll, Jugs on the Mino. Dodge on the DElf, 2-heads on the Gobbo.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I’d be very wary of putting skitter next to opposing players. He’s very fragile with ST2, AV7 and just dodge to protect him, plus he can’t even use the apoth. There are few players you’d want to mark with him (stunties, ST2 catchers, or anyone at risk of scoring the next turn). The rest of the players will be happy to hit him since he’s a nice squishy target. Stab is great, but if it fails he is in trouble if you don’t have someone else who can hit that player away.

Loner does make him a risky ball carrier too if you want to pick up the ball, catch or pass. But he does have the dodge re-roll at least and loner isn’t an issue if you have no normal re-rolls left.

I love 2 heads just because dodging is so easy, remember unless your opponent has diving tackle or prehensile tail you’ll be going anywhere on a 2+. It can really throw them off if you make 6 dodges in a row with a player that would be statistically unlikely for AG3 or even 4.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.