Advice needed for first tournament

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Advice needed for first tournament

Post by Hegel »

I´ve been playing league matches since a while, but now my first tournament is coing up. It´s an elimination format, 16 teams in the first round. CRP + the other 3 teams, exactly TV110.The usual stuff. For the first round 3 normal skills ( Chaos, Chaos Pact, Elf, High Elf, Human, Khemri, Nurgle, Slann, Halfling, Goblin and Ogre are allowed 4). Double skill after 1st round.

First of all, which team would be suited ? I have Dark Elves, Humans, Orcs, Wood Elves, Necromantics, Undead. Each team is allowed only twice, so we have to nominate one alternative. There are already two Undead, and I´m not too keen on playing Orcs. I guess Darkies would be the most solid choice ? Maybe Humans because they get a 4th skill and have a lot of starting skills ?

Next, skills, I guess it´s mostly the positionals getting the skills ? Is an apo necessary ? When I understood correctly neither death nor stat decreases are permanent in tournaments...

ANy newbie advice is more than welcome !

Reason: ''
natsirtm
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Advice needed for first tournament

Post by natsirtm »

If the TV110 does not buy skills and you just get three, be sure to take a team that has a decent amount of basic skills to start.
I would skip necro for sure. Either elf team, human or orc would be my suggestion.

I would skip the apo except for maybe the woodies team.
Wrestle on a witch or tackle on a wardancer would be my first choice.
Couple guard on blitzers for human or orcs.
After that pick something that suits your playstyle.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I would suggest that you simply go with a team that you know and like. Most teams will do OK at this sort of format.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Ditto. And out of interest, what happens if you lose round one?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

Then it will probably be Humans or Dark Elves.

Losing means the end of the tournament. We start with 16 teams, 8 teams will make it to round 2...

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

I guess I´ll play Dark Elves. They are painted, my Humans are not (yet). The skills will be for free, but I toyed around with a team build for TV110. I want all 4 Blitzers and a Witch, along with 2 rerolls. This leaves budget for 7 linemen to have one reserve, but a runner is not possible in that setup. So no leader reroll. Or how would you set up a dark elves tournament team ?

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

I´d appreciate hints for the following questions regarding a TV110 Dark Elves setup with 3 regular skills :

- 11 or 12 players ?
- 2 rerolls enough ?

The basic team for me is 4 blitzers, 1 witch, 6 line elves, 2 rerolls. 110 left. For a 3rd reroll it´s either a normal reroll (60 left, no clue what to do with it) or a runner with leader skill....

natsirtm
Experienced
Experienced

Post by natsirtm »

More players is always handy. With the low # of skills rerolls could really make a big difference, but I probably wouldn't waste a skill choice on leader.
For 110 you could take a 2nd witch, or a lineman and 2 coaches & 2 cheerleaders which should help you gain rerolls during the match.