Undead Team for the Dutch Open

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Undead Team for the Dutch Open

Post by Pedda »

I'm going to my first NAF-Tournament in Feb, the Dutch Open.

I'm kind of set on the first 1 000 000 of my team

2 Mummies
2 Wights
3 Ghouls
4 Zombies
3 ReRolls

But what should I do with the rest?
1 Ghoul
3 FF or 3 Cheer or 3 AsCoaches (or some other combo)

or

1 Zombie
1 Skelleton
2 FF or 2 Cheer or 2 AsCoaches (or some other combo)

Regarding the skills, I was thinking of something along the lines of
1. Ghoul - Block
2. Ghoul - Wrestle
3. Wight - Tackle
4. Wight - Guard
5. ?

or
1. Wight - Guard
2. Ghoul - Block
3. Wight - Frenzy
4. Ghoul - Wrestle
5. ?

What would you suggest and which skills would you choose?

Cheers

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Undead Team for the Dutch Open

Post by Digger Goreman »

I get a lot of distance out of using two skeletons as defensive backs/ersatz safeties.... Wrestle on a ghoul....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Not sure what the tournament experts have to say about this, but I only run 2 ghouls on my undead teams. Could be something to think about to loosen up some TV.

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

I use the 4the goul. Since the amount of skills is limited on the DO, you are likely to get a good milage out of having a dodge ghoul.
getting +1+1+1 is always better then lumping it together.
even if they get the advantage on the fanfactor, it is unlikely they will get +2 advantage on you (but still possible, even with _3) so you can mitigate it with the +1 on cheerleader and coach. if you do happen to get the +1 then you are guaranteed a reroll result (+1 ffand +1 coach or cheerleader) (remember its a 3 sided roll)

if its an effective build. i dont know, just remember you get the free 13th player if you KILL someone. other then that i personally do not take more then 12 players ever. I am not that good an undead coach, and this advice reflects my personal opinion.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I take the 4th Ghoul.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I'm also leaning towards the 4th ghouls and 1 FF, 1 cheer and 1 coach.

What's your opinion on the skills I've listed?
Would you take the same, but in a different order or something else?

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

It depends on the opposition. If you face a stripballing WE team, for example (it happens..!) you'd better of with sure hands on a ghoulie.

Otherwise some block and wrestle is good on them.

I would probably skill the ghouls, not the wights. The ghouls are your workers I think, the wights lack the MA when needed, IMHO.

Oh, and you definately want 4 of them!

JaM

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

I play with 4 ghouls an 14 players (2 RR).
First skill is Sure Hands of course.

Against woodies and in general any 11 player roster it is very good.
Foulfoulfoulfoulfoul....

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

12 should be enough. remember to keep an unskilled ghoul on the bench, just so you have something in the second half if all things go bonk in the night.. ;-)
Or take the risk and field the best you can... I do this myself)
3 rerolls is great, it allows you to take slightly more risk, and make it pay off.
wrestle and block on a (2)ghoul is a no brainer
i have found 1 guard is no guard, so if you take it, take 2.

Your primary roll will be to get the ball, and get it onto a cage, and let carnage ensue. keep 2 ghouls in assisting positions (but no blockable next turn) and make them run up the field after turn 4, to give you a scoring chance if he can stall the cage..
giving you 3 block ghould increases your block potentials from 2 to 5.... and with twice a potential for 3dice blocks... its block heavy.
a wrestle ghoul is usefull.
it targets the oposing ballplayer.
also if they have no block, and they block you, it forces them to turnover or reroll use( if you elect not to use the wrestle (its a valid tactic) and wrestle negates block, so their block surehander no dodge with still be taken down with some chance of succes.
still its a very personal choise and depends on your playstyle and past experience.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

sirsebstar wrote: i have found 1 guard is no guard, so if you take it, take 2.
I'm not too sure about that. In a recent tournament I used the following line up for the LOS (where the Wight had Guard. My only Guard on the Team)

ZMWMZ. This allowed me to clear the LOS and then send the Zombies forward to block a path downwards for the opposition. I then used the Mummies as cornerstones for the cage.
Worked out quite well.

I don't think a lot of people will select gaurd in the beggining for their teams (except if they're short and have beards), hence it should have an impact.

Thank you for your comments. I'll give it some more thought.

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

@ pedda.
Above all use your own instincts. read the following with care for that instinct.
I think you will find many players on the DO using better lineups then 3 in a row... but yes, IF they use such a tactic, then having a guard players releases the need to get 2 extra assists for twice a 3 dice block.

however, on the LOS you should already have a major advantage, getting a usefullk skill is good, but if you use it as a solirair player, i will mark it, if only to prevent it from getting its skill activated. you can then block it, or blitz, but it will be hard to get the guard active once your cage is underway. do not get me wrong, guard is powerful, but you need to be in place where it can do some good.
a blodge player is more powerfull then a single guarder.
a single unprotected (by guard) player can simply be 1 dice blocked if its that much of an annoyance, other then that it will give you little advantage once the match is underway, IF someone can find a way to neutralize your one player, AND there is a defenceless ghoul with no block on the pitch screaming it wants to die ;-)

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

sirsebstar wrote:@ pedda.
Above all use your own instincts. read the following with care for that instinct.
I think you will find many players on the DO using better lineups then 3 in a row... but yes, IF they use such a tactic, then having a guard players releases the need to get 2 extra assists for twice a 3 dice block.

however, on the LOS you should already have a major advantage, getting a usefullk skill is good, but if you use it as a solirair player, i will mark it, if only to prevent it from getting its skill activated. you can then block it, or blitz, but it will be hard to get the guard active once your cage is underway. do not get me wrong, guard is powerful, but you need to be in place where it can do some good.
a blodge player is more powerfull then a single guarder.
a single unprotected (by guard) player can simply be 1 dice blocked if its that much of an annoyance, other then that it will give you little advantage once the match is underway, IF someone can find a way to neutralize your one player, AND there is a defenceless ghoul with no block on the pitch screaming it wants to die ;-)
True, I see your point. Block might be the best frist skill (followed by wrestle) on a ghoul. Most bang for the bucks.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Still depends on your opponent. If yo're lucky enough to play vs a strip-ball wardancer 1st game you really want sure hands on a ghoul.

Wrestle is (almost) always good on a ghoul. Serve and protect! With wrestle he can sack a ballcarrier and he's kinda protected vs block. You lose the ghouls, you lose the game.
Fortunately you brought 4 of them. And 3 rerolls. Right? :D So that's 1 SH, 1 W, 2 B.

You could exchange a zombie for a skeleton. Sometimes you want that extra MA, to put a tacklezone on a player. He could hang back a bit and mark players who broke through.

Hope to see you there. Not sure what I will bring this year. Either Chaos Dwarves (I had some succes with them last year) or Dark Elves (havent played those in a tournament). Or maybe something else like Pro Elves (reason: see DE).

Cheers,

JaM

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

JaM wrote:Still depends on your opponent. If yo're lucky enough to play vs a strip-ball wardancer 1st game you really want sure hands on a ghoul.

Wrestle is (almost) always good on a ghoul. Serve and protect! With wrestle he can sack a ballcarrier and he's kinda protected vs block. You lose the ghouls, you lose the game.
Fortunately you brought 4 of them. And 3 rerolls. Right? :D So that's 1 SH, 1 W, 2 B.

You could exchange a zombie for a skeleton. Sometimes you want that extra MA, to put a tacklezone on a player. He could hang back a bit and mark players who broke through.

Hope to see you there. Not sure what I will bring this year. Either Chaos Dwarves (I had some succes with them last year) or Dark Elves (havent played those in a tournament). Or maybe something else like Pro Elves (reason: see DE).

Cheers,

JaM
Indeed, but that's the only time I'd really need SH (except for the RR-Management). Not sure if you'll know your opponent before you choose the skill.
Yes, that's the plan. Might go for the skellie instead of the fourth zombie, but I haven't really made up my mind yet.
Also thinking about exchanging the fourth ghoul for two skellies and do some fouling :roll:

All good teams. You can't really go wrong, either way.
It's going to be my first NAF tournament, so I'm looking forward to it.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Most of the time, I dont bother to foul. You have to down an opposing player (quite possible) but also, to make it worthwile, surround him with 3+ players to foul. This leaves you vunerable in other places because you cant close all the gaps.
Unless you have a numerical advantage already, in wich case you dont need to foul.

If you can get a player off the pitch, that's great. But a lot of times he's 'just' stunned (okay, sometimes that is enough) and you've wasted your players movement to get to that player.

If, however, you can foul a wardancer, go for it. But there are a lot of teams out there that dont really care and just score a TD or 2 more than you and win the game.

Just my 0.02 € :).

And yes, SH can save you that reroll. And yes, IIRC you can choose your skill as soon as you see your opponent.

See you there! :D