A second succesful outing with Chaos

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

A second succesful outing with Chaos

Post by Smeborg »

[Reposted from the league sub-forum.}

This time my Choas team hit the streets of downtown Wellington for the inaugural Capital Shield (CAS). It took place most appropriately in a bar. A very sociable tournament, 20 coaches of mixed standard (the Wellington league is growing fast). The house rules gave slight handicaps according to race performance in the NAF rankings. With Chaos 3rd from bottom in the table, I took:

Daisy the Minotard with Block, Claw
2 Warriors with Block
2 rookie Warriors
1 Beastman with Sure Hands
2 Beastmen with Wrestle
4 rookie Beastmen
2 Re-rolls
1 Fan Factor

I did better than anticipated, winning the tournament with 5 wins and a loss. The coach who beat me had to miss a round due to a wedding (a poor excuse, it wasn't even his own). He would likely have won the tourney had he played all 6 rounds. The gory details:

1st round vs. Gobbos, a very friendly way to start a tourney. Won 3-1 (CAS: 8-0). An easy win on numbers, also helped by my opponent failing many first dodges of the turn. He got a consolation score on turn 16 with a 1-turner (with 4 players left). I started the match with a Blitz! (Daisy CAS'd a Troll).

2nd round vs. CDs. Won 2-0 (CAS: 1-0). My opponent blundered on turn 1, allowing me to sack his ball carrier. I won the scramble for the spilt ball and turned him over. A regulation offensive score followed in the second half. My opponent failed to score at the death.

3rd round vs. CDs. Won 2-1 (CAS: 1-2). A club-mate, many bragging rights at stake. Daisy CAS'd a Bull Centaur on turn 1, allowing me to press my strength advantage to the full. My opponent scored at the death when the match was already won (I was trying for a 3rd TD).

4th round vs. Pro-Elves. Won 2-0 (CAS: 2-0). A Thrown Rock CAS'd an Elf at the start. I received and scored in 8 following a regulation grind (I was 3 up on numbers). In the 2nd half, Daisy surfed a Catcher (2 GFI's), I pressed hard, the board was wild, with players spread in all 4 quarters. I sacked my opponent, he was forced to make a long pass with a Catcher, blew his RR on the pass, then failed a dodge. I recovered the ball and scored.

5th round vs. Lizards (they finished 2nd). Lost 0-1 (CAS: 1-1). Received, got a touchback, gave the ball to a Block Warrior, attempted a regulation grind, but failed to clear players off the pitch (10 vs. 10 for most of the half). I wasted a RR through poor sight of the board, got a double skulls on turn 7, and my desperate attempt to score on turn 8 failed. My opponent nearly scored on his turn 8 (a pass by a Skink failed by 1 pip). I got a Blitz! in the second half, pressed hard, got an immediate sack attempt (4 dice on a Blodge Skink, or 52%) but it failed. Then I got another sack chance at the same odds, it failed too. Getting desperate, I pulled off my most elegant sack of the tournament, having to first chain-push my Wrestle Beastman to get him within range. It was not enough, however, the Skink by now was next to my end zone, he simply picked himself up and scored. I had 3 or 4 turns to equalise, but I did not play it very well (it is doubtful whether I could have scored).

6th round vs. Orcs. Won 2-0 (CAS:1-0). For the only time in the tourney, my opponent forgot about Daisy's Frenzy, allowing me to surf a Black Orc on turn 1. I got myself into a pickle on turn 2, thanks to bad play, was forced to hand-off, it failed, leaving me out of RRs (I had had a double skulls on turn 1). My blunder worked to my advantage, as the ball spilled next to the sideline, where an Orc Blitzer failed to pick it up (he was duly surfed). I then picked the ball up and ran it in on turn 6, deploying my superior numbers. At the next kick-off, we each gained a Bribe, my opponent immediately made a foul, but the player got sent off anyway. The Orc 3-turn score attempt was thwarted when a rookie Chaos warrior, Fergus Flathead by name, intercepted a long pass. The second half was tough for my opponent, he started with 9 players (this went down to 8 when Daisy surfed another player), I think he wasn't used to this. I pressed, he was forced to move the ball forward, a Wrestle Beastman popped the ball loose, Fergus Flathead the Elven Chaos Warrior caught the ball, but was promptly sacked in turn. I gained the ball after the customary adventures, and ran it in on turn 14.

BLESSINGS OF NUFFLE: I had plenty of good fortune, a couple of Blitzes!, a CAS from a Thrown Rock, I gained more RRs from the kick-off table than my opponents. I only recall 3 halves in which I used all my RRs (unfortunately, 2 of these halves were against my most difficult opponent). I only made 3 outright blunders IIRC (once again, 2 of these were in the game that I lost).

TD STATS: 11-3, remarkable for any team. This is my equal best for TDs conceded, I think. Bear in mind that only 1 of these TDs mattered (in the match I lost). The others were from an outrageous thrown Gobbo (1 in 12 chance), and when I was going for a 3rd TD in a match already won. The achievements of the Chaos defense are what stands out for me in this tourney. TDs scored were well spread, only 4 to the Sure Hands Beastmen, 6 to rookie Beastmen (an impressive 3 to one of them), and 1 to a Block Warrior (on a touchback). These stats accurately reflect that I scored 6 of my 11 TDs on defense(!), and that the offense only failed once.

CAS STATS: 13-4. Impressive, but well below what I had expected (by comparison, my club-mate with a similar Chaos team managed a CAS count of 31-5 in the same tourney, he did come last though...). Daisy under-performed in the CAS department, 3 of her 7 CAS were Gobbos, another was a Skink. 8 of the team's 13 CAS were against the Gobbos, the other 4 games produced a measly 5-4 count. The Block Warriors got 3 CAS between them, the Beastmen did not get a single CAS, the other CAS were from a Rock and "self harm". But I can't complain, my opponents inflicted very few CAS, which worked decidedly to my advantage.

DAISY THE MINOTARD may have under-performed on the CAS front (especially against the Lizzies, after turn 1, she failed repeatedly to break Skink armour). However, she was otherwise excellent. Her CAS and KOs, while not numerous, seemed always to be timely. She got a number of Stuns, a few surfs, stayed mostly on her feet, and was never consigned to the dugout. She did stand around staring into space a bit, though. The one match she did not like was against the Pro-Elves, where I had to use other players to reliably clear Blodge/Sidesteppers from the ball-carrier, thus she had to make a lot of 4+ rolls for Wild Animal.

So, a very good outing, but bear in mind that I enjoyed a handicap (one "free" doubles skill) against all except one opponent. I am beginning to think that the team suits my playstyle and experience (all those years of toil with Nurgle). I will possibly take Chaos to EucBowl (the largest tourney in Oz), and probably to Mainland Bowl (our local tourney), where the rules will allow Daisy to take: Block, Claw, Tentacles...

I hope you enjoyed that. All the best.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Great write up, Smeborg, glad you enjoyed yourself, and thanks for the heads up on what you're planning for MLB :P

Minor point of order: the orc coach that finished 3rd (Malfeasor) was a different team to the one you faced in round 6 (coached by Wolverine_NZ).

Still, congrats on the win. See you in a few months for GSC, I hope!

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Re: A second succesful outing with Chaos

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Entertaining write up again, Smeborg. You seem to have your mojo working with Chaos right now. You have five months to keep it intact for Eucbowl!

Shteve0, out of interest how many of the 20 players are/will be NAF members? Oh and I got my kiwi block dice via Mathfuric & Dazedmw at Cancon, they are excellent :)

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Quality write up all around as usual, Smeborg! Congrats on your Chaos success, that is NOT easy!

Too bad you can't bring the Chaos-thunder back to the Three Die BRawl this summer. :P We did in fact name our Sportsmanship award 'The Deacon' in your honor. It has it's own plaque and everything! :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, Chance. What date is 3-die Brawl this year?

Smeborg the Fleshless
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Fassbinder75 wrote:Shteve0, out of interest how many of the 20 players are/will be NAF members? Oh and I got my kiwi block dice via Mathfuric & Dazedmw at Cancon, they are excellent :)
All of them :), though 13 had never been to a tourney before.

Chuffed you liked the dice mate :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Smeborg wrote:Thanks, Chance. What date is 3-die Brawl this year?
June 7th!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

SunDevil wrote:
Smeborg wrote:Thanks, Chance. What date is 3-die Brawl this year?
June 7th!
Is it only 1 day?

Smeborg the Fleshless
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

It is. We got a lot of feedback after 2012 that one day would suit more schedules. We look at it every year to go one day or two and decided 2014 would be best served as one day.