Goblins for Goblin Slaughterfest

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Goblins for Goblin Slaughterfest

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

So, it seems I'm going to the Goblin Slaughterfest in Belgium this year, and true to the tournament spirit, I'll br bringing Goblins (to slaughter the other teams with, of course)!

Now, in this tournament you get an number of skill points (sp) depending on tier, and you can get multiple skills on multiple players, as follows:

1 single* skill = 1 sp
1 double** skill = 2 sp
2 single skills = 3 sp
1 single & 1 double skill = 4 sp
2 double skills = 5 sp

Goblins (& other tier 3 teams) get 12 pts. 10 of those points are easily spent:

Block on both Trolls (2 x 2 = 4 sp)
Block and Mighty Blow on the Fanatic (4 sp)
Hail Mary Pass on the Bombardier (2 sp)

But what should I do with the last 2 sp?

Block on the Chainsaw? Block on the Pogoer? Sure Hands on the Pogoer? Dodge on the Chainsaw and Sure Feet on the Pogoer? Guard/Break Tackle/Strong Arm on a Troll?

Suggestions, tips and general comments are most appreciated! :D

*A skill that you could take on that player on a normal roll
**A skill that you could take on that player on a 'doubles' roll

Reason: ''
Glowworm

Re: Goblins for Goblin Slaughterfest

Post by Glowworm »

Leap on the chainsaw! (4+with a team re-roll)

Catch on the pogoer. He's your main scoring threat.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

glowworm wrote:Leap on the chainsaw! (4+with a team re-roll)

Catch on the pogoer. He's your main scoring threat.
OK, thanks for the response, but Leap seems like an awfully good way to save my opponent from having to kill the Chainsaw himself, did this ever actually work for you?

And Catch on the Pogoer? I agree he's the best scorer, but that means he's the one who picks up the ball, and then either runs it in or hands off to a normal goblin who will go on to be TTM'ed. If you got great results with this strategy, then cool, but I'm not really seeing it.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:
OK, thanks for the response, but Leap seems like an awfully good way to save my opponent from having to kill the Chainsaw himself, did this ever actually work for you?
Yes it did.....but only about 3 times in 6 games, but I'm rubbish with the chainsaw!!give him dodge, it's a more sensible "survival" skill, leap is a much more fun choice and when it works.....
Dr. Von Richten wrote: And Catch on the Pogoer? I agree he's the best scorer, but that means he's the one who picks up the ball, and then either runs it in or hands off to a normal goblin who will go on to be TTM'ed. If you got great results with this strategy, then cool, but I'm not really seeing it.
I don't TTM very often, it's a good way to give your opponent the ball and kill your own Gobbo's in the same turn, IIRc it's 16% with a re-roll due to the trolls 3 negatraits and the scatter/ landing rolls needing to be quite favourable. I prefer to pick up with a normal gobbo as my pogoer is usually in the middle of a group of players mid pitch ( usually a couple of squares behind the trolls) to protect him from blitzes on the kick off, I usually hand off to the bomber after he's thrown a bomb if he has HMP, then run a couple of Gobbo's down field to split your opponents attention, now he's got Gobbo's in the back field, the ball deep in your half and a group of Gobbo's/Trolls/secret weapons mid pitch to contend with....don't forget your bomber is gobbo, he can run forward and hand off to the pogoer, just means he cannot throw a bomb, it's situational but it works. Or you can just hand straight to the pogoer, which is where catch comes in, maybe sure feet for him would suit your style better.
Whatever you choose good luck, enjoy the madness which is goblins and let us know what you chose and now you did..

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

I'm talking against my best interest, since I will be there.
Dirty Player on the Chainsaw.

With assist you auto-pass and a 7 on 2 dice gets the player out.
It gives you a lot more destructive power the ball and chain and he can be protected (since he fouls).

See you at the tourney.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Rolex wrote: Dirty Player on the Chainsaw.

It gives you a lot more destructive power the ball and chain and he can be protected (since he fouls).
probably a good choice.
Strip ball the pogo would also be a good choice i think.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Rolex wrote:I'm talking against my best interest, since I will be there.
Dirty Player on the Chainsaw.

See you at the tourney.
Good one, hadn't considered that!

@ Elyoukey: Strip ball on the Pogo is also a nice one, though it wil often imply Leaping to use it, and I try to avoid that, on account of Leaping = death.

Choices, choices! :orc:

Note: I have played Goblins before on a tourney, just not with so many options to take doubles.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:
@ Elyoukey: Strip ball on the Pogo is also a nice one, though it wil often imply Leaping to use it, and I try to avoid that, on account of Leaping = death.
You don't really need to do it for it to be effective. Just having the thread will force your opponent to make tough decisions.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Elyoukey wrote:
Dr. Von Richten wrote:
You don't really need to do it for it to be effective. Just having the thread will force your opponent to make tough decisions.
That's true.

I've no idea what I will end up doing, probably something decided in the "Oh f*ck it, I'll do [insert random skill here] and be done with it" manner! :lol:

feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

Post by feeder »

Half your points are only good for one drive. Consider Sprint and Sure Feet on the Pogo. He's my favorite player and usually man of the match (Gobbo of the Game?)