What team should I play (with APE minis) at the NAFC?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: What team should I play (with APE minis) at the NAFC?

Post by Smeborg »

SunDevil wrote:Smeborg - You know I love Nurgle but I agree they really need that 4th Warrior. And Chaos just seems so barren of skills in this format while giving Claw to such an unreliable player seems like more than my meager skills can handle. :) My lack of experience with Chaos worries me. I have some practice with Norse, Humans, Nurgle and even Khemri. I'm pretty much a CD novice as well.
Well, I seem to be having a good time with Chaos this year, having never played them before in tourneys, with 3 unexpectedly good results in their first 3 outings. They appear to be a much under-rated side, perhaps people tend to play them rather too "chaotically". As you know, I play in a positional style.

One of the possibilities open to Chaos in tourneys is to take only 2 re-rolls (like Nurgle), if you cannot afford 3. You need at least 12 players, ideally plus an Apoth (if you have all the positionals, 12 players without Apoth may do). The rosters I have taken have varied a little with the tourney formats. Although I regard the Minotard, like other Wild Animals, as something of a liability, I have found my Minotard (Daisy is her name) to be quite handy in tourneys, especially against the likes of Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs and Orcs, particularly when she has Claw. As well as reducing the poor darlings to below 11 players on the pitch (it seems they don't know what to do then), she has an important psychological effect (the opponent typically commits too many players to taking her out). Of course, sometimes she does the job for them... She only needs 1 assist to take 3-die blitzes against ST3 players (Troll Slayers and Orc Blitzers seem to be her favourite prey).

I have found Chaos to be particularly good against the likes of Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs and Orcs at not too high skill levels (before these teams have much M-Blow, after which the balance of power shifts the other way). So it does depend somewhat on format. Chaos can overwhelm Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs with their raw strength, ubiquitous blitz power, superior speed and agility, never mind that they start without Block. Wrestle is an outstanding skill on a couple of Beastmen, it is never wasted and can be a game winner.

I don't consider Chaos unreliable, you just have to play them in a conservative and secure way. I think years of playing Nurgle in tourneys has prepared me very well for Chaos, to the extent that I am finding them the easier team to play.

While I prefer 4 Warriors on a Nurgle team, having 3 Pestigors, 2 RRs and 13 players is more important IMO, thus I am happy to go with 3 Warriors if I have to (e.g. at TV110). I have on a couple of occasions played with just 1 RR, in very skill-rich formats in order to take the 4th Warrior (it worked well, I came second and first in very small local tourneys). A point of difference between Chaos and Nurgle is that Chaos play fine with 10 players, Nurgle don't (Nurgle are like Orcs and Dwarfs in this respect)

Hope that helps.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Nurgle and Chaos suck in this format. Hard.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

I'm going with Norse, just need to decide on which build to use and get some practice in!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Rolex wrote: I played something very similar at a tourney in Florence (it was 105 TV) last february at it was quite effective (6-0-0).
I like this :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Rolex wrote:On Norse:

I would go with Yethee (MB 1st day) 2 Ulf (2 guards both 1st day) 1 berzerker (PO 2nd day) Thrower (leader 2nd day) 8 Lineman (Guard 2nd day) 2 RR 1FF and a Apo.
I really do like this side! I will be practicing with it this week!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

SunDevil wrote:
Rolex wrote:On Norse:

I would go with Yethee (MB 1st day) 2 Ulf (2 guards both 1st day) 1 berzerker (PO 2nd day) Thrower (leader 2nd day) 8 Lineman (Guard 2nd day) 2 RR 1FF and a Apo.
I really do like this side! I will be practicing with it this week!
Drop the apo andff for a re roll

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

I wouldn't do that.
IMHO against AV9 teams (dwarf, Orcs but also Lizardmen and CD) if you lose the troll you are in big trouble.
If I felt the need for a 3rd RR I would prefer to drop a Ulf for a lineman.
Just my opinion.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

2 re rolls is not enough.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Rolex wrote: If I felt the need for a 3rd RR I would prefer to drop a Ulf for a lineman.
Especially in a low skill environment. Like this one.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

2 rr is fine on a team with lots of block. If you need more you need to play better.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:2 rr is fine on a team with lots of block. If you need more you need to play better.
Because playing better stops you rolling 1's? :wink:

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

glowworm wrote:
Jimmy Fantastic wrote:2 rr is fine on a team with lots of block. If you need more you need to play better.
Because playing better stops you rolling 1's? :wink:
Yes it does. Less dice rolled = less 1s.
Rolling a 1 in an uncritical situation(because you are better positioned by playing better) = less 1s.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

I know I need to REALLY focus on my positioning with the troll, both to get 3DBs but also not to leave him exposed. Amazing what a difference 8-av to 9-av makes. Not to mention, my two Ulf's with Frenzy and no Block. :)

I'll keep the no-Apo-3rd-RR idea in mind during playtesting tomorrow night.

Did get my Ape minis back from the painter! I had to add a few old Mega Mini chimps I had lying around to fill in all those Linemen spots but the team looks great!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Chance - I think that for a team like Norse, with good and cheap Linos, an extra player is better than an Apoth. The extra player protects against KOs, which an Apoth cannot help you with.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Ozt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ozt »

Regarding apo vs extra lineman for the norse:

I love the apo for knockouts. I have several times used it on a KO that took out one of my key players so I can keep them in the drive or at times to guarantee that they will be on the pitch for the last drive. Too often the skilled players fail the KO-roll.