What team should I play (with APE minis) at the NAFC?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Since I have no illusions of winning, I figured I had nothing to lose (and everything to gain) by asking for help from the BB coaches out there better than me...namely all of them!

I will be using the Apes of Wrath minis at the NAFC (thanks for the permission organizers!), which seemed fitting, though I am at a loss as to what roster to play with them. Keep in mind that the Apes have a big Silverback that could be a big guy or even a Bull Centaur, Gorillas, Chimp Runners, Chimp LineApes, an Orangutan Thrower and a Gibbon and I would like to have each of them represent a position so it is easy for my opponents to understand. I have so many Apes that I think I can make the mwork for most teams but which rosters make the most sense?

NAFC build - 1.1 million, 3 skills added to start (no doubles) and 3 more added skills (up to one double) after Round 3. No player can get more than one skill.

1. Orcs - Recently they were my top choice but I do not like the build rules for them and I recently got smashed playing Orcs so I'd prefer to move on. :)

2. CDs - 2 Bulls (Silverbacks), 6 Dwarves (Gorillas), 4 Hobgoblins (Chimps), and 3 RRs leaves you with 50k. Apoth? FF? Extra Hob? I'm thinking Block on a Bull, Break Tackle on a Bull and Sure Hands on a Hob, then 2 Guard and a Claw after Round 3.

3. Humans - Ogre, 4 Blitzers, Catcher, Thrower, 5 Linemen, 4 RRs, 1 FF = 1.1 mil. Two Guard and a Tackle on the Blitzers, then Block on the Ogre and Thrower, and a second Tackle Blitzer?

Other options I have not build rosters for but would play with the Apes are Norse, Ogres (if I want to add the world cas record to my North American record!), and...what else? Not sure really. I know I am limiting myself by insisting on rosters the Apes can play but I thought it so fitting to play my Apes during this special trip to the NAFC!

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated! I hope to sit down with many of you for some BB, Reece's PB cups, dice giveaways/trades, recorded interviews/dropspots and whatever else! :)

Reason: ''
This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Re: What team should I play (with APE minis) at the NAFC?

Post by SunDevil »

4. Norse - Yhetee, Ulfs x2, Zerkers x2, Runners x2, Lineman x4, 3 RRs - 1.1 mil. Block both Ulfs, Mighty Blow or Tackle on a Zerker. Then Block the Yhetee, another Tackle or MiB Zerk and a Dodge Runner?

Would be smarter to drop the Yhetee and beef up the team in other ways...

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Have you considered Chaos, matey? That could work. Agree Chaos Dwarfs are a good fit too if you have two silverbacks for BCs - lithophile ran that same substitution for a recent tourney down here. Khemri might work at a push (runners as blitzras, gibbons as thro-ras).

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Re:

Post by SunDevil »

Shteve0 wrote:Have you considered Chaos, matey? That could work. Agree Chaos Dwarfs are a good fit too if you have two silverbacks for BCs - lithophile ran that same substitution for a recent tourney down here. Khemri might work at a push (runners as blitzras, gibbons as thro-ras).
ShteveO!

I'm not sure Chaos gets enough room to work with on the skills. Only 3 skills for three games is rough!

I LOVE Khemri and was considering them. TGs x4 (400k), all 4 Ras (320k), 4 Skels (160k), 3 RRs (210k) = 1.09 mil. Maybe a FF? Some combo of Guard/Tackle on the Blitz Ras and Block on a Thro, then go crazy and Mighty Blow three TGs? Or Dodge the Thro Ra and add two more Guard?

Silverbacks as TGs (I have 6 I played as Ogres :P), Gorilla Blitzers as Blitz-Ras, Chimp Runners as Thro-Ras, LineApes as Skels.

Actually, I'd probably go 3 Guard, then 3 more Guard. :)

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I would suggest Nurgle, but you'll have the same issue you have with Chaos. But three wrestling pestigors could make up for it!

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I'm a fan of CDs although Norse is a solid choice....

Incidentally they are my two least favourite teams when I'm using goblins.....

So, CDs gets my vote, but as long as you have fun it's all good!!

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I vote humans, but would take three guarding blitzers and one frenzy. Those guys are swift and really benefit from it.

And you need all the guard you can get.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

SunDevil wrote:4. Norse - Yhetee, Ulfs x2, Zerkers x2, Runners x2, Lineman x4, 3 RRs - 1.1 mil. Block both Ulfs, Mighty Blow or Tackle on a Zerker. Then Block the Yhetee, another Tackle or MiB Zerk and a Dodge Runner?

it's a suicide to play norse with 12 players of less...
13 players is a minimum...

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

babass wrote:
SunDevil wrote:4. Norse - Yhetee, Ulfs x2, Zerkers x2, Runners x2, Lineman x4, 3 RRs - 1.1 mil. Block both Ulfs, Mighty Blow or Tackle on a Zerker. Then Block the Yhetee, another Tackle or MiB Zerk and a Dodge Runner?

it's a suicide to play norse with 12 players of less...
13 players is a minimum...
I agree. 13 and a apo.
The runners are bad for their price. If you want a blodger take one but no more.
A berserker is worth his price only with PO.
And you will need al least a couple of guards.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

How do lizards fair?

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

burgun824 wrote:How do lizards fair?
I have the minis for it (all Gorillas and Chimps) but only three skills hurts them as well I think.

Babass and Rolex - thanks for the Norse advice! I agree, the Yhetee has to go, maybe an Ulf as well. Dropping to one Runner would help me get more players. Maybe...

4. Norse - Ulfs x2 (220k), Zerkers x2 (180k), Runner x1 (90k), Lineman x7 (350k), 3 RRs (180k) - 1.02 mil (I think). Then Apo and 30k left over. Only 12 guys though. I think a 13th Norseman instead of the Apo. Block both Ulfs, and PO a Zerker? Or drop the Runner for a 2Ulf, 2Zerk, 9 Lino, 3 RR build - 1.03 million (again, my math is probably wrong!) - plus an Apo and 20k for FF, Cheerleaders/Coaches? Only three player types so matching Ape minis would work - but I need more LineApes. :)

I'm liking Norse and Humans right now, but CDs seem really good too. I need to do some playtesting against what I expect to see a lot of, which is Dwarves, Undead and various Elves. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks to everyone for the help! Keep it coming please! :)

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

On Norse:

IMO the Yethee is a must. Without it Dwarves, CD and Orcs are very bad matchups.

I would go with Yethee (MB 1st day) 2 Ulf (2 guards both 1st day) 1 berzerker (PO 2nd day) Thrower (leader 2nd day) 8 Lineman (Guard 2nd day) 2 RR 1FF and a Apo.
I played something very similar at a tourney in Florence (it was 105 TV) last february at it was quite effective (6-0-0).

On lizard:
Remember that if you have few skills your opponent as very few guards.
Lizard on first day must be played in a very conservative way, but are very tough opponents for anyone but the wood elves.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Hi Chance -

Nurgle or Chaos would be rather good in this format.

NURGLE: Beast, 3 Warriors, 3 Pests, 6 Rotters, 2 RR, 1FF. Day 1 skills: 2xBlock (Warriors), S-Hands (Pest). Day 2 skills: Block (Beast), 2xWrestle (Pests).

CHAOS: Minotard, 3 Warriors, 8 Beastmen, Apoth, 2RR. Day 1 skills: Claw (Minotard), Block (Warrior), S-Hands (Beastman). Day 2 skills: Leader (Warrior), Block (Warrior), Wrestle (Beastman).

Both rosters are 1 skill short of ideal (one more Block Warrior for Nurgle, one more Wrestle Beastmen for Chaos). But otherwise they are excellent for the format, other teams will have the same problem.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

For your opponents, I'd be wary of Zons too.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

ShteveO - Zons are on the list of opponents, for sure, just forgot to list them. :) If I come up against them (with no Tackle on pretty much any non-Dwarf side), I'll just concentrate on position and look for the Pows. :)

Rolex - I really like that Norse side, I might 'ape' it! :D

Smeborg - You know I love Nurgle but I agree they really need that 4th Warrior. And Chaos just seems so barren of skills in this format while giving Claw to such an unreliable player seems like more than my meager skills can handle. :) My lack of experience with Chaos worries me. I have some practice with Norse, Humans, Nurgle and even Khemri. I'm pretty much a CD novice as well.