1st and lucky tourney with Halflings

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

1st and lucky tourney with Halflings

Post by Smeborg »

Last weekend saw a local 1-day charity tournament. I was "challenged" (via charitable donations) to play Halflings, so of course i could not refuse. The house rules (at TV120) allowed me to take the following roster, which I consider quite strong:

Willow
2xTrees, both with Block and B-Tackle
1 'Fling with Leader
1 'Fling with S-Hands, S-Feet
1 'Fling with Catch
10 rookie 'Flings
2 RR
Chef

I had great good fortune in the 4 matches, with the Chef tending to work more in my favour than against:

Drew 2-2 with Vampires (CAS: 5-1). Extremely wild, all TDs scored in the 2nd half.
Beat Khemri 1-0 (CAS: 3-7). Lucky, well down on numbers, a triple skull by the Khemri at the critical moment.
Beat 'Zons 2-1 (CAS: 4-0). A lucky turnover, followed by a surf and a ridicuous scatter (12 squares into my opponent's End Zone).
Drew 1-1 with Humies (CAS: 4-1). Lucky, failed GFIs by my opponent on consecutive turns. I had a very good chance to win on the last turn (thrown 'Fling), but an unlucky scatter caused the landing to fail.

An outstanding tourney in the end, coming 2nd (out of 12 players), beating the winner along the way (the ' Zons). The CAS count of 16-9 was obviously rather jammy, but it also reflects 2xBlock Trees and that we got a free Bribe every match (my fouls were rather successful, and I fouled a lot).

Roster-wise (and play-wise), it was all about the re-rolls. Jam aside, I felt that the roster was well-balanced and powerful. 4 of my 6 TDs were from thrown 'Flings, 2 were "running" plays. 2 or 3 attempts to score with a thrown 'Fling failed. Willow was good, I like her from having played against her. I don't like Puggy for the same reason, as an opponent I have always managed to put him in the dugout. Willow only failed once (early turnover from a failed block). Otherwise she was quite durable, she got the odd CAS, KO and surf, and could take last-action risks.

Hope that's of interest.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Pug
Legend
Legend

Re: 1st and lucky tourney with Halflings

Post by Pug »

HAIL HALFLING!

"In Dodge We Trust"
Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1st and lucky tourney with Halflings

Post by Toffer »

Smeborg wrote: I don't like Puggy for the same reason, as an opponent I have always managed to put him in the dugout.
You dreamed that bit.