Alternative team for Goblins at tournaments

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Alternative team for Goblins at tournaments

Post by Vinz D. »

For the past couple of years, I've been playing Goblins at tournaments, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. The in-your-face 'high risk, high gain' type of play very much suits my style of playing, with the fact that it lets me end up in the bottom of the rankings being usually no different from when using the tier 1 teams. (and that being the cause of a complete love/hate relationship with Skaven at tournaments). Now I am starting to look for an alternative team to take along, partially due to one of the tournaments in the Netherlands (the BUBBLE) currently using the mixed-team ARBBL rules.

Now I am wondering what a good alternative (in style and tactics) would be to Goblins for tournaments.

Reason: ''
"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Alternative team for Goblins at tournaments

Post by Digger Goreman »

Easy extension to underworld and orcs.... :orc:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

If by alternative you mean 'slight step upward', then I would suggest Underworld. Goblins plus Skaven (that you already play) with some extreme high risk/high reward potential.

If you are looking for an alternative as in 'totally different than Goblins', then I'd go Khemri. Slow and clumsy but powerful, positioning is crucial because they have ZERO chance of pulling off crazy plays like the Goblins do. They also have the fewest skills and tactics to become familiar with (in my opinion) versus Goblins with all their Secret Weapons and special rules.

Btw, Goblins and Khemri are my two favorite teams. :) Let us know what you go with!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

In your face, high risk, high reward - wood elves with loads of positionals and no rerolls. :)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Fold wrote:In your face, high risk, high reward - wood elves with loads of positionals and no rerolls. :)
Oh, poor Timmy Power Gamer... you consider high risk a 17% chance you will roll a 1....

Might I suggest a remedial math class.... :-?

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

Fold wrote:In your face, high risk, high reward - wood elves with loads of positionals and no rerolls. :)
That's how I started my woodies league team... *fear, baby, fear*

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vinz D. »

@SunDevil:
I fully understand the extension towards Underworld, but I see that team having more potential in a league setting, rather then at a tournament where you have a limited amount of skills available to your team. (The way in which I experience it, Underworld at low level team value is genuinely poor)... That being said, I am looking forward to what those high risk/ high gain experiences then are.
Funny enough, Khemri is steadily growing on me as a team, since playing them on FUMBBL. I do have downright poor results with them, but at high team value they can have a ridiculous defence. The only problem, again (though less then with Underworld), is that I am wondering how 'fun' they'll remain to be at low level team value at tournaments... Cause in terms of being something of a character team, I'd put them up to par with Nurgle, which in term of madness seems closer to Goblins then Khemri does.

"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Norses! High risk (Av7), high reward (Block). Slann! High risk (Leap), high reward (Leap). Vampires! High risk (Bloodlust), high reward (Hypnotic Gaze, S & A 4), Chaos Pact! High Risk (Negatraits), high reward (3 times S5 MB). Take your pick! :D

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Vinz - you migh like to consider Slann. They certainly fit into the "in your face" and "high risk, high reward" categories (although when played well, it is more like "medium risk, high reward"). They look naked but perform well. They work better in tourneys where you can take 1 or 2 doubles (Guard on 1 or 2 Catchers). They perform particularly well against some of the bash teams (Orcs for example). They are good in a low skill environment as they can use their abundant re-rolls They work very well at TV110 provided you do not take Blitzers or the Krox. Classic roster would be:

4 Catchers
8 Linos
5 RR
Apoth

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I would also add that I am not sure that Underworld would be a good team to play in tourneys after Gobbos. Underworld are quite squishy and do not seem to perform well in tourneys (in my experience, anyway). They have to play too much "normal" Blood Bowl, and get out-bashed by the bash teams, and out-AGed by the AG teams. Skills disappear into the dugout. I have had success with them against Norse, however.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

Reading this topic I think the slann is a good call.

DeeTee
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DeeTee »

Vinz D. wrote:@SunDevil:
I fully understand the extension towards Underworld, but I see that team having more potential in a league setting, rather then at a tournament where you have a limited amount of skills available to your team. (The way in which I experience it, Underworld at low level team value is genuinely poor)...
Underworld were played on the winning team of the first ARBBL Pic A Mix event!

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

If you are looking to "Timmy Up", then pick a team from my tag line and\or look at the top ten from the latest sNAFu tournament....

yeah, green elves and spam... :roll: