Chaos Cup - Chaos List Help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Chaos Cup - Chaos List Help

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

Also at the cost of the ST 4 AG 3 Chaos Warrior or a Re Roll ona team that desperately needs Re Rolls since the only skill all the other players get is either nothing or Horns.
Gaixo wrote:Ok!

The main selling point is that you can get a ST5, Frenzy, Claw, MB player while only spending 20,000 from your skill budget, though the obvious trade-off is spending a fair amount of your roster budget. If that's not interesting to you, so be it. You can play a passable grind game with your original roster, but you're going to be outclassed by other grind teams if you can't get any of their players off of the board.

Reason: ''
Matt AKA WildManTX (NAF) AKA Nuffle_Hate_Me

T.O. R.O.T. Cup - Austin, Texas USA
http://www.rotcuptx.com
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Yeah, the mino is a 'wild card', but that's his role.

Otherwise you have a 'standard' team, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary, decent but predictable. Nothing wrong with that but with some luck the mino is GOOD. It's a gamble but, also, a 'force multiplier'. If you dont want to gamble in BB, I am not sure you should go with Chaos...

You dont have a lot of ballhandling skills. True, therefore you should/could enhance what your team is best at; playing the bash-and-run. The mino is good at that. Make sure you dont waste your blitz on him, just push players into his tacklezone.
I am not a fan of juggernaut (you could fail the blitz, after all), if you want to give him a skill I'd say guard, or block. But he's decent as-is.

Just my 0.02 :)

editted for some space-errors. I dont like my laptop's keyboard, and the feeling is mutual it seems.

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

OK so back to my budget with the skills pack 150K. I can take normals and double for 20/30K, so maxed out that is 7 normals or 6 normal and 1 double etc. No Leader allowed, 2 kills max on any one player, 4 instances of a skill max.
JaM wrote:Yeah, the mino is a 'wild card', but that's his role.

Otherwise you have a 'standard' team, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary, decent but predictable. Nothing wrong with that but with some luck the mino is GOOD. It's a gamble but, also, a 'force multiplier'. If you dont want to gamble in BB, I am not sure you should go with Chaos...

You donthave a lot of ballhandling skills. True, therefore you should/could enhance what your team is best at; playing the bash-and-run. Themino is good at that. Make sure you dont waste your blitz on him, just push players into his tacklezone.
I am not a fan of juggernaut (you could fail the blitz, after all), if you want to give him a skill I'd say guard, or block. But he's decent as-is.

Just my 0.02 :)

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Nuffle_Hate_Me wrote:OK so back to my budget with the skills pack 150K. I can take normals and double for 20/30K, so maxed out that is 7 normals or 6 normal and 1 double etc. No Leader allowed, 2 kills max on any one player, 4 instances of a skill max.
Block on all your CW's, Claw and MB on a BM, Sure hands on another BM. Doubles are not worth it (except Block on a Mino, which you're not gonna do).

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

Why no guard? Im going to get out blocked by many teams that get 4x Block for free i.e. Orcs, Humans, Norse, Amazons etc? I think the trade off for these rules is just too high for the mino.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

with Str4 ballcarrier, and all Str4 blitzers (beastmen or warriors...), what you need is block. Not guard.
for safe block/blitz. and to protect the ball carrier (warrior)

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

But an Orc, Human, Amazon, DE are all going to have 6-8 players with Block, not to mention Dwarfs and Norse will have nearly full rosters of Block and nearly all other serious teams will have 4-6 with Block, and I'll have 2-4 players with Block so I am not sure I see your argument because Chaos will get out block skilled by most teams? A guard cage is very difficult to get in and nearly rules out the Leaping Strip Ball threat. It makes there other teams dedicate several players to make even one hit.
babass wrote:with Str4 ballcarrier, and all Str4 blitzers (beastmen or warriors...), what you need is block. Not guard.
for safe block/blitz. and to protect the ball carrier (warrior)

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

A guard cage is not really needed against leaping str3 ball stripper, because your ball carrier will be strength4... (you will need 3 assists against a str3 blitzer to be str7... but in a standard cage, you have only 2 assists...)
Ok, it could good against leaping str2 (like a slann catcher used as ball hunter with wrestle+stripball), in order not to suffer "2 dices against blitz" but "3 dices against"... i don't think slann will be a popular roster at a Chaos Cup...

That's why I think it's better to have stronger corners of the cage (with block)

then, the best way against teams with very good blockers (like dwarfs, orcs, and undead), will be to trust a mino (with claw and block). but you don't want a cow ;)

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Nuffle_Hate_ Me, I suggest you need to playtest some of the suggested rosters (those that you like) against sample rosters of teams that you expect to face at the tourney. Chaos team performance is not always what it seems on paper.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

Love to ba able to do that but I lack both the tine and opponents to do it with

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re:

Post by Smeborg »

Nuffle_Hate_Me wrote:Love to ba able to do that but I lack both the tine and opponents to do it with
You can do it against yourself, time required is short. I have used this method to choose between different Chaos rosters at 4 tournaments this year. Results have been good, 17 wins, 3 draws , 5 losses. Without playtesting, I would almost certainly have picked inferior rosters.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Chaos suck - good luck!

A Block Claw or Claw PO Mino would be fun but seeing as you don't want one -
4 Warriors, 7 Beasts, 3 RR.
4 Warriors Block, Dodge Surehands on a Beast, Wrestle on a Beast.
or
3 Warriors Block, 1 Warrior Claw MB, Dodge Surehands on a Beast.

sturmjarl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sturmjarl »

Hey Matt!
I've enjoyed reading the debate on your roster selection and it's helped me determine my Norse Roster :roll:
I have to agree with Smeborg on his points. Although this is my first Chaos Cup, researching last year's results shows more bashier teams being played AND rising to the top of the standings. Wrestle should be a better choice over Tackle against those teams on both your turn and your opponents'. Tackle has a greater chance of being a wasted skill assuming you are one of those higher rising bashier teams 8). With taking your Roster without the Minotaur, I would drop the tackle Beastman for Surehands. Blitz with horns; Wrestle the ball handler down: mark the ball and MAYBE try to pickup the ball with the surehands BMan.
My play-testing shows how much i miss surehands so I may need to adjust my roster. :-?
I WISH I could fit Wrestle on MY Norse roster but I have to put my trust into frenzy! :( :blue:

See you Soon!
Pat

"Don't blame the dice!? Blame the figure which cost you $15.00 on eBay and took you two weeks to convert and paint!!"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

NHM - allow me to summarise my recommendations:

PLAYER NUMBERS
------------------------------
I suggest you need 12 players (or 11 players plus Apoth). 11 players IMO is short.

RE-ROLLS
----------------
You should take 2 RRs IMO, as you cannot have 3 RRs as well as sufficient player numbers (unless you start dropping Warriors).

ROSTER COMPOSTION
-------------------------------------
I suggest you face a choice between 2 decent rosters:

(a) 4 Warriors, 8 Beastmen, 2RRs

(b) Minotard, 2 Warriors, 8 Beastmen, 2 RRs, Apoth

I believe roster (b) to be better for this tourney, as at TV100 many opponents will have short rosters, and a Block+Claw Minotard can take advantage of this. It is also an "anti-bash" roster (comments suggest bash teams are more common at thie tourney). Note, however, that I have not playtested the rosters.

SURE HANDS
---------------------
I suggest that Sure Hands is essential on this roster, as it is the only reliable way to protect the 2 precious Re-rolls. It also allows a safe pick-up after you have blown a RR for the turn. A further (minor) benefit is that S-Hands protects against Strip Ball.

WRESTLE
----------------
My tournament experience with both Chaos and Nurgle suggests that Wrestle on 2 Beastmen is the minimum quantity for this excellent skill.

OTHER SKILLS
-----------------------
Block+Claw on the Minotard (if you take him) seems an obvious choice to me. Otherwise, take Block on all the Warriors that you can, it is much better than other skills.

Hope that helps. I would encourage you to do some playtesting, you may be surprised how little time is needed for this.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

I submitted my roster with the following

4 x Warriors, 4 x Block
8 x Beastmen, 1 x Sure Hands, 2 x Wrestle
2 RR

Just can't see the Mino as it's an all or nothing player that is easily dealt with. This seems more well rounded to me, although a bit boring. Just my opinion. I AM CHAOS!