Chaos Cup 2014 - Orcs

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Chaos Cup 2014 - Orcs

Post by burgun824 »

I'm about to pre-register for my first ever tournament and I'm super amped! Barring unforseen circumstances, I will be attending Chaos Cup 2014.

Step 1 was to choose a team to play with. This was rather a short list of teams to choose from. I play almost all of my Blood Bowl on FUMBBL and have ever only played half a dozen matches table top. Therefore I only have purcashed 3 teams to this point and only 1.5 of those are painted. I own fully painted Humans, half painted Orcs, and unpainted dwarfs. In the end I chose the Orcs for 2 reasons; 1) My results are usually significantly better with them then humans and 2) It will force me to finish painting them (they're currently about 3/4 painted...so progress ;) )

Step 2 is to prepare the roster. I want to do this in the next few days because early pre-registration gets you the opportunity for extra cool swag. Being the first ever tournament I want to make sure I get my grubby little mits on as much swag as possible so that I can have it as souvenirs of my trip.

This is where I would like your feedback. Below is the roster I've assembled that I feel will give me the best balance for play. I tend to bash more then ball and I try to hold to the old 2-1 grind match style with Orcs. I can take 150k of skills and only take a max of 4 on any given skill.

Troll - guard - 130k
BOB - guard - 100k
BOB - guard - 100k
BOB - guard - 100k
Blitzer - frenzy - 100k
Blitzer - tackle - 100k
Blitzer - tackle - 100k
Blitzer - 80k
Thrower - 70k
Lineman - 50k
Lineman - 50k
Gobbo - 40k
2 rerolls - 120k
Total = 1,140k (out of 1,150k max)

I still have a few thoughts about this myself. 1) I'm 10k shy on skills and wonder if block would be better on the troll. 2) I wonder if turning the troll and gobbo in for another BOB and re-roll would be a wiser option. 3) I wonder if Mighty Blow might be better on a couple of BOBs.

I appreciate and look forward to your feedback.

Reason: ''
JaM
Legend
Legend

Re: Chaos Cup 2014 - Orcs

Post by JaM »

I tend to bash more then ball and I try to hold to the old 2-1 grind match style with Orcs.
If so, I'd take 4 BOBs. A troll is nice, I'd take 2 gobbos if possible and skip on linemen. 1 thrower is mandatory, 3 RRs is nice,...

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Thanks, JaM.

Do you feel there is any merit to keeping the Troll and gobbo around just for the potential OTS if it comes down to it? I've read elsewhere that it's nice to have that option in your back pocket as a last ditch effort if you get yourself into some trouble at the end of a match. I wasn't sure how often it would be useful when directly compared to the low probability of success on the play, but the reasoning did appeal to me.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I think you should go for block on some of the BOBs.
Otherwise they'll eat your RRs pretty fast

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Are you allowed to take doubles? (No idea, some tourneys do, some don't.)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

You are.

If you take the troll, I would favor Pro over Guard. Especially if you plan on throwing goblins.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I'm thinking about going 4 BOBs and 3 Blitzers now. Guard/guard/block/block on the BOBs and block on the troll. I really like the idea of the stout front line.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Troll - guard - 130k
BOB - block - 100k
BOB - block - 100k
BOB - block - 100k
Blitzer - 80k
Blitzer - 80k
Blitzer - 80k
Blitzer - 80k
Thrower - 70k
Gobbo - sidestep; diving tackle - 80k
Gobbo - sidestep - 60k
3 rerolls - 180k
Total = 1,140k (out of 1,150k max)

Sidestepping Gobbos are the nuts and the diving tackler will drive any team crazier.... You can also throw them when needed....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

It's the same ruleset as this one? TV100, 150kpo for skill, and no leader?

if yes, as you wish a troll, i would go for
1 Troll BLOCK
4 BOB (block - block - nothing - nothing)
4 blitzer (guard - guard - frenzy - surehands
2 gob
1 lineman
2 RR

And without the troll
4 BOB (guard - guard)
4 blitzer (guard - guard - frenzy+MightyBlow - dodge
2 gob
2 lineman
3 RR

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Yes, babass. Same list as that.

Lots of votes for 2 goblins. Interesting. Also a problem because I only have one primed and based. I think I've got another one laying about here somewhere if I need him though. :P Even if I go that route I'm not sure I'd be burning skills on them though.

I'm really into the idea of a blitzer with surehands. It burns a skill choice but is much more efficient as the blitzer is more useful on both sides of the ball.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Lots of votes for 2 goblins.
With only one gobelin, you have to do some choice at TV100 (the 3rd RR, a 12th player, the troll, etc...)

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

burgun824 wrote: Lots of votes for 2 goblins. Interesting. Also a problem because I only have one primed and based. I think I've got another one laying about here somewhere if I need him though. :P Even if I go that route I'm not sure I'd be burning skills on them though.
My vote is for zero goblins. Also zero trolls. If you're relying on a goblin throw, you're already in trouble.

Thrower - Block, Dodge
4 Blitzers - MB/Tackle, 3 Guard
4 Black Orcs
2 Linemen
3 RR
1 Coach or Cheer or FF

Prefer to have more mobile guards, so I put them all on blitzers rather than spreading them around. Could go with Frenzy or Strip Ball instead of MB on the tackler, but I like to have at least a little stopping power (especially if you're going to be hitting the designated ballcarrier).

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Gaixo wrote:My vote is for zero goblins. Also zero trolls. If you're relying on a goblin throw, you're already in trouble.
I'm in agreement with that. I don't think it's to rely on goblin throw though. I think the idea is that it gives you another option IF you need it. And as babass pointed out, by taking the goblins it frees up that valuable last 10k that can get you to 4 BOBs, 4 Blitzers, and a troll.

I see your point about no trolls and goblins and the extra rr is nice, but a block troll and 4 BOBs is likely going to be the about the strongest front line at a tournament. Lizards and Ogres are about the only two teams I can think of that could match it or outdo it and who's afraid of Ogres?

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Okay. More specific question this time. If you were going with the roster that babass proposed...

this one:
1 Troll BLOCK
4 BOB (block - block - nothing - nothing)
4 blitzer (guard - guard - frenzy - surehands
2 gob
1 lineman
2 RR

What is the argument for taking frenzy on the blitzer over tackle. It seems like you would want at least one tackler.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

frenzy bring more as tackle.
it has more impact on the way of playing of the opponent
will be usefull against all roster (and not only dodging...)