Dark Elves for Chaos Cup 2015

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dark Elves for Chaos Cup 2015

Post by Zak Hazard »

You're right - I crunched the numbers, and two rerolls is all I'm going to get. Planned roster is:

4 Blitzers (two with Dodge, one with Dodge and Guard)
1 Runner (with Dodge)
6 Linemen (two with Wrestle)
2 Rerolls

The only thing I'm uncertain about is two linemen with Wrestle, but only because I've never played linemen with Wrestle, and I'll have to see how it works. I also tend to play the passing game, and I'm going to have to teach myself to run with the ball instead. Five players with MA 7 should make that possible, and it should be fun.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I think I'll be trying a similar roster at the Orclahoma Bowl and the Spiky Cup in the spring (adjusted to fit their rules and roster guidelines), but in the meantime, I just need to get some practice games in at the local gaming store.

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Zak Hazard wrote: The only thing I'm uncertain about is two linemen with Wrestle, but only because I've never played linemen with Wrestle, and I'll have to see how it works.
Having wrestle on your team is, IMHO, vital.
They're great for getting the ball lose and they can also be a pain for your opponent, since he may think twice about blocking them, fearing that his player might go to the ground.
And, it's also optional to use it, if the blocking players dosn't have block.

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

The fact that it's optional makes a huge difference - I hadn't even thought of that, Pedda. I'm a lot happier to try the roster as it is now, and see what sort of results I get. Once I get some games in, I'll post the results up in this thread. Fingers crossed that the Ravens of Khaine can get some good results.

Thanks, all!

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Zak Hazard wrote:You're right - I crunched the numbers, and two rerolls is all I'm going to get. Planned roster is:

4 Blitzers (two with Dodge, one with Dodge and Guard)
1 Runner (with Dodge)
6 Linemen (two with Wrestle)
2 Rerolls
I had to go back to the OP to understand why there are no Witch Elves in the roster. Because you have to pick 150k in skills. On 1M gc, it's difficult to take more positionals as you don't want to play Elves with less than 2 TRR.

Personally I would opt to include at least one Witch Elf, as they are the best blitzing players on the Dark Elf roster and Frenzy creates new possibilities what your opponent has to take into account.

And most importantly Wrestle is a great skill on the Witch Elves: they come with dodge: so it will be easier to get to the BC to blitz him AND they have Jump Up to laugh at the victim of their last wrestle. Sure Frenzy can get you into bad places but if you need to make the block successfull, you can also blitz with a Blitzer. And basically Frenzy gives you a second shot vs Blodgers, which makes you more efficient.
Another benefit is that you will be able to move a player 2 squares, nothing to sneeze at! Imagen the possibilities to chain-push, or simply to push your target next to players that have still to activate. You can quickly get to 8 block dice thrown vs a player.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Wrestle for linemen but I doubt if they are the best players to target opponent Blodgers.
I would consider taking 1-2x Tackle, if you are so worried with blodgers. As tackle works as a passive skill, it's great for Line Elves as they typically have to mark a player, without throwing a block.

Also I feel a little sad for the Blitzer with no skills, what is his role going to be?
I am wondering on how your typical defensive set-up would be, as you don't have a symmetrical team, the classic Ziggurat (which I choose by default far too much) isn't ideal as you will have to commit guard to ether side.

So I would say the more central, "boat" line-up for maximal protection of the important players.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

El_Jairo wrote: Personally I would opt to include at least one Witch Elf, as they are the best blitzing players on the Dark Elf roster and Frenzy creates new possibilities what your opponent has to take into account.

And most importantly Wrestle is a great skill on the Witch Elves: they come with dodge: so it will be easier to get to the BC to blitz him AND they have Jump Up to laugh at the victim of their last wrestle. Sure Frenzy can get you into bad places but if you need to make the block successfull, you can also blitz with a Blitzer. And basically Frenzy gives you a second shot vs Blodgers, which makes you more efficient.
Another benefit is that you will be able to move a player 2 squares, nothing to sneeze at! Imagen the possibilities to chain-push, or simply to push your target next to players that have still to activate. You can quickly get to 8 block dice thrown vs a player.
I agree with this.

How about this roster?

Witch elf (Wrestle)
3 Blitzers (3x Dodge and one of them with Guard)
7 Lineelves (Dodge, Wrestle/Block)
2 RR

juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

Joemanji wrote:
Zak Hazard wrote:....

If you don't like the Witch Elf option then I would plump for a variation on your original roster :

4 Blitzers (2 with Dodge, one with Dodge+Guard)
1 Runner (Dodge)
6 Linemen (2 with Wrestle)
2 Rerolls

One extra MA7 player, and the Dump Off option if you face Wood Elves. Still a very reasonable roster.
Yeah I always go 4 blitzers and no witch if I have 2 rr at 100k. The witch is cool, but I find I have too many things to reroll to be able to abuse her fully. More cash and 3rr gives me a chance to surf via multiple dodges and push things a bit.

3x dodge blitzers (or a tackle)
1x guard blitzer with a choose
1 linos with block if leader is a not allowed and then
1 sh runner.

Sh aint a big deal, but you often need a pick up and that trashes the momentum of the team with just 1 rr left on a fail. T1 fail the ball = 7 turns I need to play cautious. 2 rr left however and I can do more dodges and probably the odd 1d block without pressure. Over six games this is bound to happen once.

I would take tackle if you are winning your first 3 games because if you come up vs an ag team with good coaching skills you will struggle. Lower down I can just blodge and do my thing (oh and drink loads). Vs bash I just need to stay alive and wont get much millege out of tackle. Saying that, undead are popular at 100k and with tackle and block on your blitzer, you can go out and really wreck the ghouls.

SH runner on defense at least has a role. He can threaten around the ball (hes ma7) and with av7 wont ever get stuck in. He will probably get picked on.

Block is easier for me to play. Wrestle gives options, but its only half a tackle and normally if I can keep 11 dark elves upright then im on for winning the game. Going to ground is not cool in my books, but I can see it negates the lack of tackle and has more utility.

...the pope said to his aid...