Orcs – Troll or no Troll?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Orcs – Troll or no Troll?

Post by Sword of Solkan »

My fledgling Orc team have survived their first couple of matches (both Draws), and now have 110k in the bank. So, I can either afford a Troll or another Lineman and an Apothecary.

I can definitely see the benefits of having a Strength 5 player on the pitch (and maybe buying a Goblin later for that snowball in hell’s chance of scoring a one turn TD with TTM). Just wondering whether it’s worth adding 110k to my TV, when I’ve already got 4 Black Orcs who basically do the same thing?

The remaining games in my division are against a Skaven team (All Strength 2 and 3), Orcs (who do have a Troll, along with 4 Black Orcs) and a rookie Chaos team (4 Chaos Warriors, no Minotaur). I'll then be playing a bunch of random teams from the other divisions.

Reason: ''
The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Orcs – Troll or no Troll?

Post by Saebelsultan »

That is the beauty of Orcs: you can do so much depending on your playstyle. You can run and bash or bash and run or bash and bash... so many options!

Anyway, I found myself playing with a troll very comforting and he has done me good service throughout the season. Just remember not to block too much with him unless he has Block. Always do his actions as late in your turn as possible. Until then, I find him to be a very good piece to put in the middle and draw some attention. That way, less of my BOBs are tight up and they can engage into the hitting fun earlier.

I also find myself playing a running game with the Gobbo I bought and whether he is so good because he is running for his life most of the time or because of his natural skill, I couldn't tell. So what do I know!

Seeing you don't have an apo, that might be worth a thought of getting him first and then save another 50k for the troll. Since most of your players have AV9 though, I think it not all too important. It also depends on how many players you have after all. What is your line up?

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sword of Solkan »

Thanks - I'm currently playing with 4 Black Orcs, 4 Blitzers, 2 Linemen and a Thrower.

The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

I've just bought a Troll for my league team but I made sure that my first purchase was an Apothecary. Honestly, I would get the Apo first and then the Troll

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Sword of Solkan wrote:Thanks - I'm currently playing with 4 Black Orcs, 4 Blitzers, 2 Linemen and a Thrower.
That's my line up for Resurrection tournaments when I play Orcs and my starting on-line league roster. I have lost out with the Troll costing me games in the past. However, they are fun add the one turn touchdown with a goblin and i know some very good Orc players who take them.

I think it comes down to a question of persoanl taste. I wouldn't drop a blitzer or black orc for a troll though

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I take the troll and goblin. But it adds more randomness to the team, so you are a bit more depdant on luck. Primarily he serves to tie up opposing tough players and mess about with their positioning, but you can't rely on him. The troll and gobbo are tv ineffient if that matters to you. But I like the threat of a 1TTD as it can make teams play somewhat differently! Best set up for that is a thrower with leader that you don't field on defense, so you have one rr - even then it is pretty random. The troll is also good as a rooky in a high TV environment where you want a tough lineman to get clawed a lot!
Definatively apoth first, especially since you have a soft game next. The line-up I am running at almost 2000tv on the OCC is 4 blitzers, 4 black orcs, 1 thrower, 2 linemen, 1 troll, 1 goblin and was doing ok till a nurgle team clawed half the players to death or early retirement!

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I do agree with Apoth => Troll => goblin path.

Never think that AV9 is enough to save your players from death. I just recently had a new season (all start-up teams) start with a friend of mine who went for the troll on the starting roster.

You guessed it right: he died to a stab from an Assassin!

That's Blood Bowl: chances are ... well chances. The only certainty is when no dice are rolled.

I also like to have a goblin on the team, sure he is only ST 2 but he only needs to run the ball. I prefer to give him catch as first skill as this helps the other players to get in a completion for that 1 SPP they miss for their next skill.

I don't know if I would drop the thrower for him but giving him leader does seem a good idea as it compensates for the TV bloat from the troll and gobo.

And never forget that a goblin can make a dash through enemy lines as he is stunty and comes with dodge, so he doesn't need to blitz his way into the endzone, you can blitz a hole for him to blitz through.

In my logic using the goblin as a ball carrier makes sense as you free up other players to do their thing. Now for those leaping strip-ballers, you would need the thrower with block though.

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

I think trolls are useful in bashier environments, and less useful in less bashy ones.

Against an elf ball league he is probably bloat, but against other teams that can match you in strength he is useful.