D Line per team

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

D Line per team

Post by swilhelm73 »

I thought it might be interesting to discuss who you put of the D Line for each team...and I thought I would start with the teams I've tended to play. One thing I have noticed is that some teams tend to fair better on defense preciously because they have just the right player for the D line...like Necro/Undead/Khemri and some are a bit weakened by this...like Lizards.

Anyway, so my thoughts per team:

Necro:

You have 8 positionals and 3 Zs...who are cheap, av8, and have regen...

The one caveat might be what to do with a kick or DP Z. You can replace a ghoul...but that will cost your team speed...

Khemri:

Some people put TGs on the line, but it is pretty clear the Skeletons are better line fodder. Cheap, TS, and regen are a good combination for line duty, though av7 is unfortunate.

You make need to bench a throw ra if you want to keep a DP skellie off the line...

Chaos:

You can built goats for the line, but I've found you almost always have three rookie/one skill beastman that fit the role...

Chaos Dwarf

This is a tough one. Dwarves are tough with av9, TS, and block...but it also hurts a lot if you lose one. Conversely Hobs are cheap...but av7. Generally unless I am playing against a claw heavy team I put my three least developed dwarves on the line.

Lizards

The Lizards are very similar to the CDw. The Sauruses are tough with ST4 and AV9, but again losing one hurts since skinks are even worse as hitters then hobgoblins. However I find the stunty on skinks makes this decision easier. There may be edge cases where you have spare skinks for line duty at the end of the half say, but normally I put the 3 least developed Saurses on the line.

Orcs

SO MANY POSITIONALS!!! My orc roster is generally 4 BZ, 4 BOB, 1 TR, 1 TH, 1 Gob, and 2 LN. This makes thing tough to decide who to put on the line as ignoring the gob you might field 10 positionals (I do play the TH on defense). In that case my D Line is a LN, the troll, and the least developed BOB/BZ. Note that since BZs develop faster they might be a better choice for line duty then BOBs...

Nurgle

Also so many positionals! My roster is normally 4 NW, 4 Pests, 1 Beast, and 4 Rotters. More then any other team the choice for line duty may be decided by the opposing roster. With 9 positionals, you should put two rotters on the line. Against claw heavy teams I might bench the least developed pestigor to stick another rotter on the line. In garbage time pests might be a better choice for line duty if forced as they skill faster then NWs. Trying to have a DP rotter will almost certainly force you to bench a positional.

DE

I usually only use 7 DE positions...4 BZ, 2 Witches, and an RU. So not only should you have plenty of Lineman for fodder, you might even have some developed specifically for line duty.

Reason: ''
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: D Line per team

Post by El_Jairo »

This is a very good idea Swilhelm73.

I don't have that much experience with different races: DE, CD, Necro and now WE.

So I do agree with you points on them.

Wood Elves:
Typically you have plenty Line Elves, errr Journeymen, to feed the LoS.
If you play with a Tree, he can discourage the opponent of following up but putting him just behind the LoS.

If you opponent lacks the strength and guard I want to put the Tree on the LoS as with AV10 and TS he isn't likely to leave the pitch but I rather not have the chance of him being knocked over first turn of a half and having try to stand up the rest of the half :)

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Post by squirrelfanatic »

I've seen Necro coaches put both Golems and a Zombie on the LoS, however only against clawless opposition and with Guard on the Golems. I like to use Zombies exclusively, given their overall hunger for my MVPs on my team I'm not able to have them all unskilled though, so sometimes there's one Block guy amongst them.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

A few comments/ideas:

- It really depends on who you're playing. My current Chaos Dwarves go between dwarves and hobgoblins depending on how much claw and block is on the other team. More claw = sacrificial hobgoblins. If I'm not playing against guard or high strength, I'd sandwich a guard/block in the middle. Another option is I might be inclined to stack the line with many more than 3 players once in a while if I know that I have a serious strength advantage over an opponent.
- For Necro I am MUCH more inclined to put the Flesh Golems on the line because of the built in stand firm.
- For elves (specifically wood elves), I develop linemen with dodge as the first skill and they go on the line, even over rookie linemen. They have a tendency to live longer and can escape the perils of the stronger opposing linemen.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Orc wise I don't field the thrower on defence, so 2 lineorcs and the troll.

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

With Lizards i have experimented a few times with Skinks on the line against:

- claw teams (to protect the saurii)
- newish teams with limited tackle, and/or limited block (where 2d blocks are being thrown anyway and so the skinks can be harder to knock over due to dodge)

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

Looking at my nurgle team, I've really struggled with who to put on the line.

http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.We ... lang=en-US

With 4 Pests, 4 NWs, a BoN, a guard Rotter, and a DP/Kick Rotter I have a full 11 players that I don't want to put on the line.

My BoN is out for my next match against Goblins, so that at least gives me an obvious choice of a rookie rotter on the line, but any of the other players I stick on the line are likely to be knocked down and fouled.

Last match I think I left the guard rotter on the bench, and but the Block/Guard NW, a rookie Rotter, and the BoN on the line.

I guess I'd could do something similar and put two rookie rotters with the Block/Guard NW...but I hate leaving an NW on the line....

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

My experiments to put skill on the LOS usually fails misarably. My opponent sets up after me and has free placement to counter whatever i try.

So i have gone over to almpst always using the same type of d-lineup choice. I try to have 3 cheap fodder "linemen". If there is any chance that the opponent can and will try to beat a strong dlineup they go on line instead of tryng to outstrength the opponent. And when gurad and such starts coming into the game that is in clear majoroty of the situations.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

If I'm playing against a team with no tackle I put my underworld Gobbo's on the line rather than line rats, both Av7 but they are harder to knock down, let be honest your opponent is getting 2 dice on the LoS either way....

....and linerats are more valuable elsewhere early on!!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Nurgle have a highly variable defensive LoS. Depending on environment, opponent and match situation, I might put any of the following on the LoS:

2 least developed Warriors and a rookie Pest
2 least developed Warriors and a rookie Rotter
3 rookie Rotters
2 most developed Warriors and the Beast

Those are the main variants.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless