Norse for Orclahoma Bowl Pros and Cons

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Norse for Orclahoma Bowl Pros and Cons

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

So besides the common glass cannon comments what are the Pros and Cons

Build rules:
http://orclahomabowl.com/rules.htm
Team Build 1,150,00 gp for the team
May purchase players, rerolls, fan factor, coaches, and cheerleaders as normal
Can take any green skill including on custom star player as part of the 11 players on your team.
You may also choose to spend up to 150,000 gold pieces (of the starting 1,150,000) to purchase advancements for players of your choice. This is for regular positions only, not star players.
A normal skill upgrade costs 20,000
A Doubles skill upgrade costs 30,000
+1 Movement costs 30,000
+1 Armor Value costs 30,000
You MAY NOT purchase Strength or Agility upgrades
Two players maximum may have two skills added to them if desired
No player may have a stat increase and a skill
No player may have two stat increases
No skill or stat increase may be taken more than three times
All Injuries will reset as this is a Resurrection Tournament

First attempt at a list:

Ulf - BLock
Ulf - Block, MB
Runner - Sure Hands, Dodge
2 - Berserker both Tackle
7 - Linemen
2 RR
APO

Reason: ''
Matt AKA WildManTX (NAF) AKA Nuffle_Hate_Me

T.O. R.O.T. Cup - Austin, Texas USA
http://www.rotcuptx.com
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Norse for Orclahoma Bowl Pros and Cons

Post by Smeborg »

I prefer an extra Lino to the Apoth, as the extra player always works (e.g. in the case of KOs).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

When used right the APO always works. I would only use it on Berserkers and Ulf and only in these 2 situations, To get a BH back in the game or a KO in the second half to keep them on the pitch. In both cases its automatic. In both cases a Berserkers or Ulf is much better than a lineman to come back

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Nuffle_Hate_Me wrote:When used right the APO always works. I would only use it on Berserkers and Ulf and only in these 2 situations, To get a BH back in the game or a KO in the second half to keep them on the pitch. In both cases its automatic. In both cases a Berserkers or Ulf is much better than a lineman to come back
So what do you do when you have no BH in the first half, and no KOs in the second?

Smeborg the Fleshless
Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

2 Ulf and 2 Beserkers wreaking havok on my opponenet

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

I have a better question...
what about an Amazon team for Orclahoma Bowl? :)

I'm thinking:

1 Thrower
7 Linewomen
1 Catcher
4 Blitzers
2 RRs
1 Apo

and a few well placed skills. I know that makes 13 players, but Zons are SO fragile that I worry about my opponents clearing the pitch on me.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

Thanks for all the feedback

Final Roster, 13 players

2 x Ulfs both with Block
2 x Beserkers both with Mighty Blow and Piling On
1 x Runner with Sure Hands
8 x Linemen
1 RR
1 FF
1 Apo (pretty much just for the fist Badly Hurt to w an Ulf or Beserker, or a late KO)

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Nuffle_Hate_Me wrote:Thanks for all the feedback

Final Roster, 13 players

2 x Ulfs both with Block
2 x Beserkers both with Mighty Blow and Piling On
1 x Runner with Sure Hands
8 x Linemen
1 RR
1 FF
1 Apo (pretty much just for the fist Badly Hurt to w an Ulf or Beserker, or a late KO)
How did it work out with 1 RR?
I would never feel comfortable with less than 2 TRR, apart from sure hands, you have no ball handling, which is risky, as I would say you will need at least 1 TRR per half to fix a block slip-up.

kwèk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kwèk »

I counted out today (cause I had nothing to do)

1x Ulfwerner with Block (to avoid turnovers, and be a more reliable blitzer)
1x Ulfewerner with Wrestle (the same as the other, but to get down pesky blodgers... it's better then just taking "Tackle")
1x Blitzer with Guard (Cause you need Guard... it protects and makes frenzy easier and more effective to handle)
1x Blitzer with Guard and Tackle (Same as the latter, but it also becomes a good blitzer for pesky blodgers)
1x Lineman with Surehands (to avoid being strip balled ... cause you don't want that, and so you have an extra reroll)
7x Lineman (no skill)
3x Reroll
1x Apothecary (only used on positionals early on, or a KO in an important situation... it's better then the 13th guy, cause he keeps the KO on the pitch, and the 13th guy will just be in the reserves untill someone scored)

12 players, 1 apo, 3 rerolls, everything protected by block or wrestle, 2 guys to get down blodgers, 2 guarders to assist to break through the lines. I think you have a solid team there.

Love the Right Stuff
Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

At Orclahoma Bowl, Day 1, I took Norse and I came in 7th of 30, 2 W / 2 D /0 L, I won Best D giving up just one TD all day..... And to a Beast of F*%#ing Nurgle no less! I gave out a ton of casualties (12) and KOs from the MB/PO Berserkers so I wouldn't trade them for anything. 1 RR was tight. Both of the draws could have been won on the last turn with some luck, but no RRs either time, but doubtful even with 2 I would have had any left. The first was a rather complicated pass with DP all over the place, long shot at best, the second I failed the first of 2 GFIs for a score, but had already make 3 or 4 other rolls to make that possible.

On day 2 Spiky Cup I took my 2 time defending Spiky Cup Champ Orcs and finished 2 W / 1 D / 0 L and beat the winner on Table 1 in the last round but won the Battle to lose the War, I just couldn't get Bonus points on him. He won Overall with a record of 2W 1 L because he had racked up a crap ton of bonus points including 16 Cas in 3 games (He wasn't best either,18 was tops!) and pitch cleared the Current Chaos Cup Champ Brian Tew in 5 turns (Bonus points were: 4pts - Cas, 2pts - KO, From Blocks, Fouls, Secret Weapons and Crowd Surfs). I finished 4th trailing 3rd by 1 point (to Briand Tew), and 2nd by 2 points and overall by a lot. If the last game had finished (3 pts), or I had 1 more Cas (4 pts) or KO (2 pts) I would have been top 3!

So in 7 games I went 4 W / 3 D / 0 L and only gave up 2 TDs (Beast of F^%$ Nurgle and WE), Received the Orclahoma Bowl Best D award and 2 top 7 finishes out of 30. I was pretty happy with that, just disappointed with my finishes.

Also I am second in the NAF S.C.A.R.S. (Southern Central Amorical Regional Series) Tournament Series after 2 tournaments to Brian Tew with 3 tournaments remaining, My own tournament ROT Cup, Austin, TX, Emerald City Cup, Wichita, KS and Nuffleween, Norman OK. Kind a like NASCAR for Blood Bowl. I don’t try to win my own tournament just fill in there is an odd number, but I get a few points for being the TO if I don't play and I don't know if I can make it to Wichita Kansas. Not sure if I have a shot.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Grats on these results. Especially allowing so few TD, that's really impressive.
I wouldn't have the mettle to coach a team on one RR. I would always be hearth-thorn to use it or not.

Anyways, I find it strange that in a tournament so many bonus points can be earned by inflicting CAS and KO. I do applaud that all sources of pain are accounted for, but the most funny one: opponents failure.

On the other hand these bonus points are based on something that is mostly random luck. Sure you can force your luck by making more favorable block and what not but in the end it are the dice which decide if you break armour or not.

So basically this gives the edge to Bashy teams with high armour and/or protective skills.

I'm not in favour of such a ruling as it feels rather arbitrary and I would think that the random element in Blood Bowl does determine the score of a game enough.

/rant and I'll stop hogging your thread.
Thanks again for sharing your experiences and inspiring me to learn to coach on even less TRR.

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

That was only the 2nd day for Spiky Cup it's the theme of tounament, more sily of the 2 tournaments. Day 1 is pretty standard where I had the Norse. In Spiky we also all got 1 of 6 modified custom Death Rollers as a 12 player on the pitch. Came back at half for all but a caught foul too.