Ogres at NAFC

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Ogres at NAFC

Post by Sandwich »

I'm taking ogres to NAFC next weekend - that much is a given. What I'm not so sure about is my roster.

Now I'm playing this deadly seriously, aiming for the highest placement I can, preferably a top-10/20 finish ( :P ), so obviously I'm taking 6 ogres and giving at least 5 of them Piling On. What I can't decide is how best to do the rest of the roster...

Issue #1: my last ogre can take a double on day 2.... normally if I play ogres, the first double gets Sure Hands, but I think Block may be better in this situation? Or do I just skip it for a 6th PO?

Issue #2: what do I do with what, on an ogre team, I like to call the "wasted" cash... the 260k I can't spend on ogres. I have to buy 5 snotlings to get to 11 players, leaving me 160k to play with. I've had two thoughts with this...
  • my initial plan was 6 ogres, 6 snotlings, 2 rerolls. But this only leaves me one reserve which doesn't feel enough.
  • my cunning thought last night was 7 snotlings, 1 reroll, apothecary. Gives me an extra "player" on the bench but also an ogre back from KO/BH - I'm slowly being converted to an apo being a good thing in tournaments. But on the other hand..... one reroll.
But is there any other option I could use?

As background: I've played ogres in a TT league, and in FUMBBL blackbox; both times I started off with 6 ogres, 5 snots, apo, no rerolls, and I don't feel the lack of rerolls bit me too often, but both times I felt I needed more snots than I had.

I've got a practice game tonight where I'll try out the 2nd version (1 reroll + apo) and see how it goes. Though its against dark elves, so I'm going to lose, just have to see how badly :-)

Reason: ''
Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Ogres at NAFC

Post by lunchmoney »

I was thinking of taking Ogres.

It would appear you rate your performance with them, higher than I do mine (going by your comments on wanting to place in top 20), so maybe you have secrets about their play that elude me.

How do rate 3 Ogres, 3 RR, Brick Farth & Grotty and then Snotlings for the rest of the cash (14 players in total)?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

lunchmoney wrote:I was thinking of taking Ogres.

It would appear you rate your performance with them, higher than I do mine (going by your comments on wanting to place in top 20), so maybe you have secrets about their play that elude me.

How do rate 3 Ogres, 3 RR, Brick Farth & Grotty and then Snotlings for the rest of the cash (14 players in total)?
I was kinda joking about the top-10/20... If I'm in the top 120 I'll probably be happy enough :lol:

I've used Brick + Grotty once or twice in a league setting and Grotty is awesome... Brick was just another roadblock, who can come in handy for TTM attempts. Which without an AG4 goblin I probably wouldn't use that often (I tend to thrown snotlings at people, rather than with the ball).

For the price of Brick+Grotty you can get 2 normal ogres, so you'd still have 14 players and 3 rerolls, but without any loner (and Brick still has bonehead).

I guess its personal taste really - if you could take Grotty on his own I probably would :P

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Sandwich wrote: I was kinda joking about the top-10/20... If I'm in the top 120 I'll probably be happy enough :lol:
Geggster managed to stay top tables with Goblins, so you may be good enough to do it Ogres, I dont know how good you are ;)
Sandwich wrote:I tend to thrown snotlings at people, rather than with the ball
As do I :)
Sandwich wrote:For the price of Brick+Grotty you can get 2 normal ogres, so you'd still have 14 players and 3 rerolls, but without any loner (and Brick still has bonehead).

I guess its personal taste really - if you could take Grotty on his own I probably would :P
Yeah, Grotty would great as a single package…

I think I’ll take them and we can compare notes :lol:

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

lunchmoney wrote:
Sandwich wrote: I was kinda joking about the top-10/20... If I'm in the top 120 I'll probably be happy enough :lol:
Geggster managed to stay top tables with Goblins, so you may be good enough to do it Ogres, I dont know how good you are ;)
Goblins are much easier than ogres... and geggster is a reasonable player too
Yeah, Grotty would great as a single package…

I think I’ll take them and we can compare notes :lol:
I'll probably see you around the bottom tables on day 2 then (if not before) :P

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Sandwich wrote:I'll probably see you around the bottom tables on day 2 then (if not before) :P
Sounds good to me :lol:

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

This makes me even more sad I'll miss the NAFC this year. :(

Best of luck to Lunch, to Sandwich and to all the Stunty coaches!

Oh okay, to all the other coaches as well. :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

3 Ogres with Piling On, 3 Snots with Diving Tackle (on day 2) and Brick & Grotty.

Grotty is great. I did launch a couple of Snot missiles and Grotty flew in for at least one of my 4 TD's, but the threat of the Brick Toss (phrasing) was more effective than actually throwing a player.
And the DT was also a good threat that I didnt use once (mainly they got killed quickly), but it did force all my opponets to rethink a move before just dodging through.

1,2,3 in the end, which is about normal for me and Ogres (record now 2,5,10 iirc, cant check at work), but it was hard work to get those draws and the win was a theft.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Well I managed a 2-0-4 with my piling on build... and a feeble 18 casualties. My ogres simply could not break armour - maybe I should have just gone balls-out and piled on at every opportunity rather than being sensible about it?

Ogres in game 1: lost a fairly close game. Failed to break armour on snotlings multiple times (I even piled on once and still failed). 4 casualties, one of which was a snot taking out another snot. Highlight of the game: my ogre hitting a snotling, skull+skull+both down, snotling was unhurt, ogre was KOd (and didn't come back).

Dwarves in game 2: dwarves. The result was never in doubt. 0 casualties (only 1 against)

Amazons in game 3: won! Turn 16, my snotling threw a longbomb to a waiting ogre to run in the winner. Not a robbery at all :-) 2 casualties (another game where I kept failing to break armour)

Norse in game 4: lost, it was close for a bit but then things went wrong. 2 more casualties, more failures to break AV7.

Amazons again in game 5: I don't really like playing against amazons at the best of times, but when I can't break AV7 its even more painful. It was getting messy until Roxanna did her thing... she did fail a dodge just before halftime though and was killed by a snotling foul :P 3 more casualties

Nurgle in game 6: so after 3 games against AV7 and another against ogres... it was nurgle who couldn't stand the ogre pain. 5 cas in the first 5 turns, 7 in total, the big smelly ones were down to 2 players by turn 16 when I walked in the only TD of the game. Highlight of the game: a stupid beast of nurgle marked by a snotling, I made a 3d block for giggles, and got 3 pushes... to push him to the sideline. Next turn, I was hoping for the same again... but the Beast made his stupid roll and killed the snotling instead :cry: ("I may be really stupid, but not that stupid" :lol: )

I think I'll keep away from ogres for a bit...

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Sandwich wrote:Amazons again in game 5: I don't really like playing against amazons at the best of times, but when I can't break AV7 its even more painful. It was getting messy until Roxanna did her thing... she did fail a dodge just before halftime though and was killed by a snotling foul :P 3 more casualties
It was the run-up before fouling Roxy that did it! :lol:
Thanks for a very enjoyable game.