How to play against Vampires

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Mike_Rushby
Experienced
Experienced

How to play against Vampires

Post by Mike_Rushby »

I've made the mistake of signing up to a tournament against a bunch of very good players where vampires are heavily incentivised and so expect to see a bunch of them there. Any things to watch out for specifically?

Cheers!
-Mike

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: How to play against Vampires

Post by lunchmoney »

Hypno Gaze. If used well it will destroy all your plans. Always try to end your turn having thought about your lost TZs.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Kill thralls :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

force them to burn rerolls, they wont have the skills to supplement

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Kaiowas wrote:force them to burn rerolls, they wont have the skills to supplement
This. Vampires have to roll a lot of dice anyway. How you do it kind of depends on your team, but if you have any disposable players, man mark all the vampires you can. Especially vampires without Block. They have to either block and do nothing else that turn, or dodge away - either way they need to roll Bloodlust.

Don't forget that you can activate a hypnotized player without rolling dice. Technically it's a move action which moves zero squares. Wastes that player's action but gets a Tackle Zone back, which can sometimes make all the difference.

Hit Thralls whenever you can but don't be stupid about it. It's not the Thralls who should worry you.

Skilled vamps are well worth fouling, even with Regeneration.

And remember that if a Bloodlusting vampire causes a turnover, he can't drink blood, even if he's next to a Thrall. Just runs off the field into the reserves box. You see it most often when they fail to pick up the ball.

If there's any way to get Zara the Slayer, do it and look at the tears in your opponent's eyes. You don't see many Star Players at tournaments though.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

And remember that if a Bloodlusting vampire causes a turnover, he can't drink blood, even if he's next to a Thrall. Just runs off the field into the reserves box. You see it most often when they fail to pick up the ball.
This?

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

rolo wrote:You don't see many Star Players at tournaments though.
Plenty of Star Players at the tournaments I go to.
adhansa wrote:
This?
What does "This?" mean? What's your question?

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

lunchmoney wrote:
rolo wrote:You don't see many Star Players at tournaments though.
Plenty of Star Players at the tournaments I go to.
adhansa wrote:
This?
What does "This?" mean? What's your question?
I've just read the rules and i just don't make that interpetation of it. Can someone please explain why it is so.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

adhansa wrote:I've just read the rules and i just don't make that interpetation of it. Can someone please explain why it is so.
Gotcha.

If the Vampire rolls a 1 on their Blood Lust roll and has to feed on a Thrall, but cannot do so for any reason, that Vampire has to leave the pitch as he goes off in search of snack. A common reason for this to happen is a Turnover.

Here's a couple of examples:
Vampire declares a Block Action, he has a thrall next to him so isnt to worried about failing Blood Lust. Rolls a 1. Carries on with the block and rolls skulls. Vampire falls over but isnt taken off the pitch. However because he can no longer feed on the Thrall he has to leave the pitch anyway.

Vampire declares Move Action and moves to the ball. He fails the pick up roll which is an instant Turnover. As the Vampire cannot feed on a Thrall he has to leave the pitch.

Vampire moving around fails a Dodge roll and falls over. Another instant Turnover and the Vampire leaves the pitch.

Make sense?

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

It's why he would have to leave the pit even if he is next to a thrall that puzzels me. Biting happens at the end of an action. Turnovers force the action to end. I don't get why they are exclusive.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

A Vampire cannot bite a Thrall if said Vampire is prone or stunned, plus they have to do it as part of their action. If their action has ended early due to a Turnover they cannot bite.

Edited for spelling.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

lunchmoney wrote:A Vampire cannot bite a Thrall if sid Vampire is prone or stunned, ples they have to do it as part of their action. If their action has ended early due to a Turnover they cannot bite.
^^ That.

Even if the vampire is still standing - that is, a thrall runs next to the ball, and the Vampire tries to pick it up and bobbles it. The instant the pickup fails, the player's action (and turn) is over. Since drinking blood is part of an action, when the action is over, he can't drink blood any more and has to run to the crowd.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

To me it is not as obvious. Turnovers ends player action and biting happens at the end of a player action.

I tried to find something in the rules queries section and this is all i found

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21684&p=516628&hil ... st#p516628 , 4th post on the page

I am not sure if it outdated, are there any newer clarifications?
Not trying to be difficult, just that my gaming group plays different, and if am going to get them to change i need an official ruling.

Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

adhansa wrote:To me it is not as obvious. Turnovers ends player action and biting happens at the end of a player action.

I tried to find something in the rules queries section and this is all i found

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21684&p=516628&hil ... st#p516628 , 4th post on the page

I am not sure if it outdated, are there any newer clarifications?
Not trying to be difficult, just that my gaming group plays different, and if am going to get them to change i need an official ruling.

In naf clarifications say this:
Blood Lust/Hypnotic Gaze

If a player suffers a turnover for whatever reason during a vampire’s move, they may not bite at the end and must therefore leave the pitch.
You use Hypnotic Gaze before biting a thrall, so you may Gaze and then be removed from the pitch.
If you end the turn next to a thrall you must bite the thrall, you are not allowed not to.
Interestingly, as regards prone use of HG: p11 of CRP says a player may do nothing before standing, but p23 says that Extraordinary skills may be used while prone. Other Extraordinary skills (TTM, stab) have stipulations that you must stand up first, but HG does not. By the letter of the law therefore HG can be used when prone.
Hope this help.

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

All i needed, thanx. Apologies for derailing the topic.