Goblin Skills

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Goblin Skills

Post by Aliboon »

Hello All

What are people's thoughts on normal gobbo skills?

I like diving tackle and side-step (in that order), but have recently thought it is a bit of a waste of TV, those players are afterall twice as expensive as a rookie, but not I think twice as good. I've got a MA 5 one (my only one) but I think I should just sack him due to the -MA and hope one of my 4 DTers can skill up soonish.

I'm coming to the conclusion that after having maybe two DT/SS players then I should sack any other goblins if they ever get that far without doubling or getting a stat increase (assuming they live that long anyway). Is there any other skill combos that people find useful, such as sure feet and catch for one-turners? I tend to try to score with the Pogoer, so haven't invested scoring skills into normal gobbos.

Similarly with the goblin secret weapons - a chainsaw with dodge is useful, but any normal skill after that isn't really worth it imo. A Fanatic can get MB and Grab, then maybe guard. All of the Bomber's normal skills are pretty pointless and not worth the TV. A Pogoer with sure feet is good, but is sprint worth the extra TV?

This all assumes you have enough money to replace the skilled players, which probably isn't always the case...

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Goblin Skills

Post by Pedda »

Aliboon wrote: What are people's thoughts on normal gobbo skills?
I'm not a goblin player (yet), but I do play halflings and I must say that I find side step to be the best first skill, but each to their own I guess.
Aliboon wrote: those players are afterall twice as expensive as a rookie, but not I think twice as good.
I don't think I need to do more than quote you here. Unless there's a double or a statt involved, a rookie is better.
Aliboon wrote:I'm coming to the conclusion that after having maybe two DT/SS players then I should sack any other goblins if they ever get that far without doubling or getting a stat increase (assuming they live that long anyway).
Aliboon wrote: Is there any other skill combos that people find useful, such as sure feet and catch for one-turners? I tend to try to score with the Pogoer, so haven't invested scoring skills into normal gobbos.
I don't think so. Catch is 20k in TV and could mean another tackle/block for your opponent
Aliboon wrote: Similarly with the goblin secret weapons - a chainsaw with dodge is useful, but any normal skill after that isn't really worth it imo. A Fanatic can get MB and Grab, then maybe guard. All of the Bomber's normal skills are pretty pointless and not worth the TV. A Pogoer with sure feet is good, but is sprint worth the extra TV?
Chainsaw - Dirty Player
Bomber - HMP
Fanatic - MB and/or Grab, but Block ist what you want
Pogoer - Sure Feet and after that I'd say he needs a double or a statt, otherwise he's a whopping 110k
Aliboon wrote: This all assumes you have enough money to replace the skilled players, which probably isn't always the case...
Money can be a problem, but the above assumes that you've got the money

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I like leap on the chainsaw.....

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Back when I played Goblins, I took Sidestep as their first skill. It's really helpful, and gets better the more you have.

No Goblins ever survived to get a second skill (I played, I think 12 games or so), so I never had to decide if DT were worth it. I don't think so though. People just don't often dodge away from Goblins ...

I've heard people talk about building a Catch/Sure Feet/Sprint player for one turn attempts. Generally from Goblin players who use the one turner as their default offense. I did not, and I consider the Goblin throw teammate OTTD play to be more of a desperation tactic than a default strategy.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

glowworm wrote:I like leap on the chainsaw.....
Lol that's brilliant :lol:

I never thought of DP on a Chainsaw, really need to get a goblin team sorted out so I can try some of these things out.

What about the Big Guys, what skills are coaches taking on these?

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

On the trolls, Guard is my #1 pick, eventually Stand Firm and/or Break Tackle but they skill so slowly.
Block on doubles, I guess Pro on a second doubles. I've heard people talking about taking Pass or Nerves of Steel to help with the throw teammate play, and that would be nice from time to time, but I don't think good enough to use a double on.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I like guard on trolls, but it can be avoided quite easily, I also like grab as you can line up the opposition in front of your ball & chain, also makes it easier to make space around your ball carrier.

Doubles on trolls = Block, second double, never got that far however I like the idea of a sidestep troll.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

This isn't always possible, but I am a fan of cutting Goblins that roll normal skills IF you have the treasury for it. Goblins NEED to keep a low TV for inducements and regular skills (in my opinion) do not help them, they only raise the team's TV.

Now if a Gob rolls AG or doubles, then regular skills can really help that player. +AG, then Sure Feet and Sprint? Block, then Side Step? So on and so forth.

Again, this approach is not always possible but I thought I'd add it to the list of suggestions.

Good luck and GO GOBLINS!!!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I presume you'd apply the same logic to Halflings, Sundevil?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Raveen - even more so with flings, you want their TV super low. I'd even consider sacking a tree that didn't double in the first 3 (situation dependent).

http://wbbl.nzbbn.com/index.php?section ... =games#anc

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Yeah, having the cash is maybe a luxury I won't always have. I think you need to run at least 14 goblins and generally 15 or 16 for the inevitable MNGs.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

As far as number of players go, I think Flings are actually very different from Goblins.

I've seen Flings do really well with a ridiculously low team rating, then loading up on Deeproot, Zara, Chef, etc. I looked at Shteve0's team and it looks like he signs Puggy a lot.

I don't think that kind of tactic is as valid with Goblins. First of all, goblins are (or at least feel) slightly overpriced at 40k, so you can't really cut your team rating down as far as the Flings can go. Second, Goblins in my opinion need a bench - even with bribes, you can't count on your weapons being around for a whole game, players get knocked out or cas'ed, and Goblins start to suck exponentially more the more they get outnumbered.

Disclaimer: I've played Goblins but never Halflings.

But this thread is about goblin skills, not the ideal goblin roster. You have to ask yourself, if I fire that sidestep/DT goblin and replace him with a rookie, do I get another bribe? A bribe means another drive of chainsaw fouling joy, am I willing to give that up for some skills?

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Raveen wrote:I presume you'd apply the same logic to Halflings, Sundevil?
I have yet to play Flings (they are on the list!) but I presume so. Same with Snots.

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I agree, Rolo. In contrast, my goblin team runs 16 players. And it's generally still not enough to see a game out!

http://wbbl.nzbbn.com/index.php?section ... obj_id=200

For my flings I aim to have puggy, chef and Deeproot every match. With goblins I think the players themselves are actually good value - +10k on a fling for MA and Av is completely worth it. So I'm only really after bribes from the inducement list with goblins.

The similarity is in the lack of value two normal skills offers over another player's a bribe - it's not worth it.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

I've played my fair share of stunty teams and in my opinion, DT is a waste of skill.
Only other stunties struggles with it. All the rest just block the DT-guy away.

Sidestep is way more useful, it even stop the opponent to hit your guys in fear that I move into a worse pos for him.
Two regular skills mean the sack since inducements are everything on a stunty team.

I allways go for Break tackle with the big guys as first regular skill since they are easy to nail down otherwise.
And again. three skills without block will get the bigguy sacked aswell.