Wood Elves - Keep armour busted kick/block lineman?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Wood Elves - Keep armour busted kick/block lineman?

Post by Fold »

I have a lineman with Kick and Block, who comes back from an MNG with -1AV for the quarter finals in my league.

The Quarters are against Lizardmen, if I win it's Chaos Pact in the semis.

The rest of the team is:

1 guard treeman
1 block lino
1 wrestle lino
1 dodge lino
1 dodge thrower
1 killer wardancer
1 guard/ss/dt dancer
3 unskilled linos

I have no catchers ATM as they are both MNG.

Would you keep the kicker or fire him? If it was just kick I think I'd have already decided to get rid, but as he's one of only 4 players with block I'm having second thoughts. I have 210 in cash so money is not a worry.

Reason: ''
Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Wood Elves - Keep armour busted kick/block lineman?

Post by Scrappa »

I will reply with a helpful: "Depends."

You'll lose kick and block, but you'll gain some discretionary funds to drop on the match itself. Do you know his team rating and yours?

Kick for Wood Elves is great, though.

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

I don't know his rating, sadly. He claims to have a fairly beaten up team too, but ultimately I'm in the dark here.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I'd keep. When playing my lizards, the thing I fear most are leaping players (skinks aren't so great against them). Plus, if he hasn't got tonnes of Break Tackle (which if his team is similarly developed to yours I'm assuming not), then a short, well placed, kick can assist you in tieing up his saurus and picking on the skinks.

With Skink movement, that could all be negated on receiving, but the threat of a very short kick and needing to not only pick it up, but potentially move it to another, better placed skink is nice to have. You'll also be able to direct his LOS with your tree and make him want to spread out more than he'd potentially like to cover the threat of a well placed kick.

In any case, the ball will probably scatter back into the middle of the pitch and the lizards will be able to efficiently cage up leaving any planning redundant ;)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Thanks for the advice. I kept him around in the end, and it worked out well, kick was useful as ever and it was also invaluable to have an extra blocker for the LOS on my receiving drives.

I won 3-0 against the Lizards but was unable to overcome the Pact's combination of 3 S5 players, two of whom had tentacles, two +S marauders and a mino with claw to remove my tree. I lost 3-2. The pact player had foreseen the presence of two wood elf teams in the knock out stages and done well to skill up accordingly.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Still: well done. But also a big thumbs up to the CPact player, nice skill rolls and good planning :orc:

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Really nice on the pact player!!! Maybe too nice :-)

Pact big guys only get mutations on doubles so hope its not a misstake when rolling skills.

Alot would have taken Block on doubles.