Undead Mummy Can't Choose Guard

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Undead Mummy Can't Choose Guard

Post by Fold »

My league forbids duplicate skillsets. One mummy got guard and I was hoping for the 2nd to not level up until the 1st one had done so again, or roll a double, but alas it's gone and rolled a normal skill.

What do you take when Guard is not an option, Stand Firm or Grab? Break Tackle feels pretty situational on a mummy.

I have Necromantic then Dorfs next.

Many thanks!

Reason: ''
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Undead Mummy Can't Choose Guard

Post by mawph »

Fold wrote:My league forbids duplicate skillsets. One mummy got guard and I was hoping for the 2nd to not level up until the 1st one had done so again, or roll a double, but alas it's gone and rolled a normal skill.

What do you take when Guard is not an option, Stand Firm or Grab? Break Tackle feels pretty situational on a mummy.

I have Necromantic then Dorfs next.

Many thanks!
Long or short league? I've got Break tackle mummies and I like them, but they're in a longer term league (one has +MV and guard, the other already has guard and SF, no doubles yet :( ) helps stop your opponent bogging both mummies down, which can be an issue if you're attempting to move the cage/screen onwards.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

13-14 games including the playoffs and finals. I've played 3 so still a fair way to go. In other words I'll probably have the chance/be forced to take break tackle on one or both later on, so the question is, is break tackle more immediately useful than SF/Grab or is it more of a later pick?

And I'm guessing you'd advocate Stand Firm over Grab given that's what you've chosen? It does make a better synergy with Guard I guess.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Stand Firm is pretty sweet, and can be unbelievably annoying. Admittedly it's much better when combined with Block ... ...

Really strange rule by the way. Seems like it would have a really massive effect on some teams. Feel bad for the Lizardman coach, when his fourth skink rolls a regular skill ;)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I'd go for stand firm as the lack of guard for the other teams would make the mummy very annoying.
I kind of feel sad for the dwarf player. One guard and one mighty blow with a dwarf team...

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I like both. The Mv4 mummy got BT and doesn't have SF yet. I think the other one was the other way around (SF, then BT). Either is good first, for me - its a close run thing. SF is really annoying, but with BT, you shouldn't be giving your opponent too many chances to blitz the mummies to have you use SF. In my last game, there was a time I really missed SF on the one mummy.

I probably see Grab as a bit of a gimmick skill. Potential for usage in standard play, but I'd be more likely to pick it for a team with a slightly more viable 1TTD attempt.

Guard is definitely the best skill though and Guard, SF & BT together is ace (although would be better with Block in there too :roll: )

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Thanks everyone. Based on the way my games have played out so far I'm gonna take Stand Firm with the long term intention that he'll be SF/Guard and the first will be Guard/BT (assuming no doubles).

To those commenting on the weirdness of the rule - it takes a small amount of getting used to and definitely affects the meta somewhat but doesn't seem to turn anyone off (5th season, 38 players this season). People know what they're getting into and either accept it or pick a different team. Lizards as mentioned suffer a lot, making them a low tier team. Dwarfs are actually in a good place as while they will have to juggle their skill selections a bit to get multiple mighty blow and guard players, they start with a huge block advantage over most teams (who cannot quickly catch-up due to not being able to get block on multiple players as easily) and also a lot of positionals meaning they can still spam skills relatively well by say giving mighty blow to a blocker, a blitzer, and a troll slayer.

I should have specified more clearly that the duplicate skillset rule applies by position (probably making it an even weirder rule, right? :) )

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Fold wrote:I should have specified more clearly that the duplicate skillset rule applies by position (probably making it an even weirder rule, right? :) )
I'd probably end up playing Dark Elves or something, just because there are so many good options at every position.

But man, I'd think really hard about playing Underworld ;)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Djay
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Djay »

Interesting rule...I like it. Would love to see people take some different skill combinations than what's "optimal".