Brettonians TV 110

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Brettonians TV 110

Post by El_Jairo »

Hi all, now Bretts are allowed in NAF I want to give them a go.

In this tournament the Bretts are allowed one free skill: Block or Leader on one of their players.

Before (but after pairing) each round a random (by d3 MVP method) player gets a skill and no stacking is allowed. There are Six rounds and at round 2 and 4 you may give a double skill.

So here is the roster I would build:

4x 'Blitzer' Knight 440 kgc
4x Yeoman 280 kgc
4x 'Lineman' Pesant 160 kgc

2 TRR 140 kgc
Apoth 50 kgc
1 of each: FF, AC & CL 30 kgc

So I would opt for the leader skill as the free skill but I'm hesitant to give it to a knight. With 6 more skills to give I think I should give it to the Yeoman.

So the other skills that I will be looking at:
Knights: Dodge 2x and 2x Mighty Blow on doubles
Yeoman: 2x Guard apart from one leader. If doubles at round 4 lands on them I would skip it for guard I think that's more useful than dodge or whatnot.
Pesant: Block or DP (but hopefully we can dodge that but given the fact that you can't stack, in the last roll I will have to nominate a pesant).

Do I have enough pesants? Being the throw-away player they don't benefit a lot from having AV7. But I rather have an apoth to keep a positional on the pitch than having two more pesants.

Reason: ''
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: Brettonians TV 110

Post by plasmoid »

Hi El_Jairo,
have you played Brets before?
If you know them (or have time to train before the tournament) then you might be able to manage with just 1 ReRoll + Leader. If you are comfortable with that, then perhaps a Sure Hands blitzer could be a good idea.

Personally, I think I'd prefer 2 rerolls + leader.
But I'd also prefer more players. I think I'd dump a Yeoman for 2 linemen.
I like starting League play teams with just 2 yeomen, so I think you should be able to do just fine with 3.

If the free Leader skill takes up a skill slot, then I'd definately not put it on a blitzer. I guess that makes it a yeoman, even if that leaves just 2 more for skilling.

I'm not sure I'd take any doubles. Blitzers should probably just go Dodge - though I can see one with Mighty Blow, especially if you run 3 yeomen, because then the yeoman need Guard rather than mighty blow. Some like the Sure Hands blitzer - depends on your style.

So that's: 4 blitzers (440K), 3 Yeomen (Leader) 210K, 6 Linemen (240K), 2 Rerolls (140K), Apoth (50K) = 1080K

Alternatively, if you want all 4 yeomen, then you might trade the 50K apoth and 30K junk for 2 linemen.
Remember, linemen are good replacements, but are also good for fouling :orc:

Good luck

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi El_Jairo (and possibly Smeborg),
I went to a tournament with Brets this weekend, and I figured I might as well post about it here.

The tournament used my own Copenhagen Parity Rules, which tries to put all non-tier 3 teams in equal footing. The rules feature 8 tiers, and the top 4 and bottom 4 tiers were roughly equally represented. 24 teams were attending in total. Brets were placed in the 3rd tier out of 8, so I had 7 starting skills.

My starting roster was
4 blitzers (440K) + Leader, Dodge, Dodge, Dodge
3 yeomen (210K) + Guard, Guard, Guard
6 Linemen (240K)
2 Rerolls (140K)
1 Apo, 1 Ch, 1 AC (70K)

Others might prefer a more varied skill selection, but I didn't have that much faith in my ability to have the right guy in the right place, so I settled for the skill that I'd probably prefer to have in most situations :)
IMO, in tournament play, Blodge and Guard are both a big deal, so I maximized that, along with a fairly deep bench.

I think I played pretty aggressively for most of the tournament. In League play defense more carefully, trying to protect my blitzers, but with rez rules I gambled on blodgers and guards to apply pressure whenever I could - end Fenders just to mess with my opponents' exit options. I also put my blodgers on the LOS on defense in most of my drives, trusting blodge, AV8 (and the apoth) to see me through, and hopefully preventing me from starting my defense players down.

1st game against Amazons - pretty standard, 4 blitzers with guard and some wrestle:
He started, and I applied pressure quickly, while distracting his guards with yeomen or linemen. Around turn 4 it looked like he was in trouble, but with some decent rolls he managed to wiggle out, and a turn later his thrower made a somewhat risky passing play to a linewoman that I had ignored, and he scored a turn later. This gave me a 2 turn offense, and some useless dice on defense as well as slightly shaky offensive play of my own allowed me to equalize at half time.
Second half was my offense, and I made slow Progress against the hard to hit Amazons. In the end it cam Down to a hand-off to a blitzer to win the game on turn 16 - and it failed miserably. Bugger. 1-1 tie. Not an unfair result.

2nd game against Ogres - 6 Ogres, Bertha, No rerolls!
Ogres might sound like a great opponent in theory, but even though I started as offense, my team was quickly turned into minced meat! By the start of my turn 6 my opponent and I had a good laugh about the fact that only my 4 nobles were left on the pitch. Then one knight failed dodge and died, allowing another to be blocked and crippled, and the ball carrier to be knocked down. Ouch! So, on my turn 7 I had just 2 knights on the pitch. One near the halfway line pinned between 2 ogres managed to blitz free and make a run for it. The other stood up, dodge, picked up the ball and launched it downfield. The pass was inaccurate, but it wasn't worth my last reroll. 3 Ogres got a TZ on the ball but didn't dare the GFI and pick-up - and so, on my turn 8, my knight dodged clear, blitzed one ogre onto the ball, picked it up in a TZ, dodged again and scored. WooHoo.

That got me a TD and an extra batch of KO recovery rolls, meaning that I had 9 players for 2nd half - one of which was quickly removed from the LOS. Somehow, my remaining 8 managed to slow down the Ogres enough that Bertha had to get slightly out of coverage on her run towards the EZ - and she was quickly smacked down. In the ensuing scrum I managed pester the Ogres enough to prevent the TD. Crazy 1-0 win for me!

3rd game was against Dark Elves.
The Dark elves started with the ball in the pouring rain - and killed a yeoman on the opening turn.
However, somehow I unleashed a deluge of armor breaks, forcing the dark elves to score on a risky passing play, giving me enough time to score before halftime.
As no dark elves recovered from KO, there were just 7 left for 2nd half, so I played a slow hard grind with several fouls, and walked it in on turn 16 without much risk.
Somewhat boring 2-1 win for me.

4th and final game: 6 teams were tied at 2 wins, 1 tie, and I faced Lizardmen - 4 sauruses with block, 1 with break tackle and one with frenzy. I think this isn't a bad match-up for Brets, with Krox and 2 saurii being blockless and vulnerable to dauntless.
I started on offense in the rain, and a somwhat sloppy defense allowed me to score in 4 turns. My opponent admitted that this wasn't entirely against his plans. The lizards lined up their offense, and the rain stopped. Grrrr. The kick was Deep, and my opponent made the mistake of throwing a foul before picking up the ball - and was promptly sent off. This allowed a lone knight to swoop in, blitz the remaining Skink into the dug-out and put a TZ on the ball. In the ensuing scrum the knights ultimately prevailed, increasing the score to 2-0 at halftime.

In 2nd half the lizards were in a hurry, and rather than fall back I threw everything at them from first whistle. As the Lineman pinned the Sauruses and lived to tell the tale, the skinks were eventually overwhlemed and coughed up the ball. Again a few knights battled for the ball, and even though 2 skinks managed to 1-die POW my ball carrier 3 consecutive turns, their desparation pass was intercepted by a knight (yay catch!) and taken to the endzone for a 3-0 win.

In the end, 3 teams were tied at 3 wins, 1 tie - and I ended up in second place due to weaker strength of Schedule (than my older Brother!)
Good times :D
Martin

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, Martin, all good stuff.

I suspect the way you play in tournaments is the way I play in leagues. I'm a bit like that.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Omalley69
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Omalley69 »

Great Read Martin.

Looking forward to a rematch some day. KH The Ogre Pow Train.

When life knocks you down, fouling is emminent!

Dont feel titchy, throw that feeling away!

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

The roster of plasmoid is the same I use.
Only differences if I have a double I give one blitzer MB and I go for 2 FF instead of ch and ac.

It works pretty well.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

So, the Furious Feudalists returned to the scene of their recent glory for a 1-day 4-match tournament, with an outside chance of a wild card for the Danish national team if things went really well. (Spoiler: They didn't).

This time around the Brets got 7 skills and +20K, allowing me to replace one lineman with a Yeoman. Other than that, my line-up was unchanged.

*First game got me matched uo with probably Denmarks best player, the brilliant MissSweden and his Slann. Bugger. I started on defense, playing aggressively - and put the Slann under a lot of pressure. On my 3rd turn I missed an opportunity to chainsurf the ball carrier (or so I'm told), and my opponent made it to the endzone under some pressure. Not a bad result. I figured I'd get another shot at the ball the way things were going. I didn't.

The Slann had a Kicker, rolled Blitz, formed a cage, caught the ball and scored not long after. Eating just enough turns for my offense to be ultimately futile. Lining up for the 2nd half the Slann rolled Blitz again, caged up and caught the ball again, scoring after a few turns of furious Bretonnian scrambling. 3-0. By that time my rerolls were depleted, and my Brets came out scoreless. Ouch.

*Second game was against Nurgle. My offense slow-played for a few turns while looking for an opening and found it as pressure mounted. A blodging blitzer punched through, protected by a thin line of players. The pestigors and rotters swarmed, but the knight made it to the endzone on turn 6. This gave Nurgle 3 turns to equalize, and it wasn't quite enough.

Second half saw the slow plodding progress characteristic of a Nurgle offense. However 2 knights and a yeoman took the chance to harrass the ball carrier, who promptly (after some good blocks by his mates) managed to both-down himself against a wrestling yeoman. Disaster! A knight retrieved the ball, ran back, then down the flank, scoring the winner late in the half. 2-0 win.

*Back on the middle tables, my third opponent was Lizardmen - and Nuffle decided to mess with my through the use of his holy kick-off table. The lizardmen got FAME (despite lower FF) and promptly rolled a Pitch Invasion, putting 5 on my players on the ground. Nuffle winked at me when the lone skink failed his pick-up, allowing me to Blitz and KO the little bugger, but then I snaked the GFI to get at the ball, stunning a 6th player. The lizardmen then unsurprisingly took control of the field, eventually stalling in the corner - until I could force them to score, leaving me just 3 turns for my own offense.

And then Nuffle, for the 3rd time in the tournament, bequethed a Blitz! on my opponent. The lizardmen came hard and fast for the ball. Perhaps a touch too hard. The ball carrying knight managed to first evade the pressure, survive a 2D blitz, and then ran forward, handing off to another knight who could run across the line and then into the endzone on the final turn of the half. Phew.

2nd half had me starting with the ball, but I ran into a Perfect Defense. The Bretonnians were soon bogged down, and as the lizardmen piled in a double skull on a single die block made my defense collapse, and the Lizardmen scored a well deserve defensive TD. Still, with 3 turns to go, I had a little hope - though, considering how my first offense went, I wasn't overly optimistic. This time Nuffle let me off the hook easy, just granting my opponent a reroll - while I burned my last one on a double skull on the LOS. However, somehow, the Lizards were perhaps a touch too aggressive in their defensive efforts, and an ill timed 1 on the Kroxigor's Bonehead roll allowed enough players to warm through and a single Blitzer punching his way to the endzone on turn 16. 2-2. A hard earned tie.

*So, 4th and final game, against the Undead.
As in all my previous games my blodging knights took LOS duty and lived, and soon enough I could push back against the Undead. They swarmed down one around turn 4, only for the Ghoul to roll a 1 in the Endzone, coughing up the ball. A Blitzer recovered it, surviving a 2D blitz, and then, with nowhere to hide, ran forward handing off to another Blitzer, who caught the ball in a TZ, dodging into the clear and charging down the sideline - only to snake his GFI. Nooo. The Undead recovered the ball, but enough of a scrum ensued that as time ran out they were forced into a desperation play, which failed as the would be reciever fell over in the endzone.

Second half was looking good, as I was on offense and 11 against 9. But on my first turn a burned a reroll on a double skull and failed the pick-up. And on the 2nd turn I burned a reroll on the pick-up and double skulled on the line - and suddenly I was in trouble. Luckily for me, I survived a 2D blitz on the ball, and my starting numbers advantage (now gone) gave me just enough of a leg up to push down the left side, fend off a wight and make it to the endzone.

Once again, that left my opponent with a short but doable offense. 3 or 4 turns. After a few turns he sent a handful of players down one side, but the Blitzers managed to plug the hole by avoiding a crucial POW, and as the Mummy rerolled into a both down, suddenly the game was over, with slightly unexpected 1-0 win.

Lots of fun - and a decent showing for the Furious Feudalists.

Cheers
Martin

PS - the Blodgers did everything, including LOS duty, and we're worth every penny. I also used Catch a few times, and threw a ton of dauntless blocks with quite a bit of success, proving to me once again that Brets -are- all about the Blitzers.

Omalley69
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Omalley69 »

Im still amazed that the knights on LOS thing is the way you go.

It seems so super risky, as you conclude yourself. The knights do everything. I guess LOS duty aswell -.-

When life knocks you down, fouling is emminent!

Dont feel titchy, throw that feeling away!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

plasmoid wrote:PS - the Blodgers did everything, including LOS duty, and we're worth every penny. I also used Catch a few times, and threw a ton of dauntless blocks with quite a bit of success, proving to me once again that Brets -are- all about the Blitzers.
That is just the same as in a league team. No other BB team is as extreme as this. My Blitzers have 93% of the team's earned SPPs (i.e. excluding MVPs).

Smeborg the Fleshless