Resurrection Tournament (High Elves and Nurgle)

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

TheTrans
Rookie
Rookie

Resurrection Tournament (High Elves and Nurgle)

Post by TheTrans »

Hey Gang,

Myself and the missus are entering a blood bowl tournament in a months time, we've got full teams of positionals, so can take any combo for our teams, but honestly we aren't too great with the rules (will be doing lots of practice games in the lead up to the event) so it would be easier if we could nut out basic lists now and then practice with those fixed lists.

So the rules for the event are a resurrection event. We have 1,200,000GC to start our teams off, this will be used for teams, inducements and all that stuff.

"Each coach will then distribute additional skills to his players, depending on the race of the team. No more than 2 additional skills can be given to any one player, and not more than two of the same skill can be taken. For example, no more than two players can add Guard or Block"

Now the High Elves get 6x Single Skills

Nugle get 7x skills (upto 1x double).

So in a nut shell, what would be the best (and probably newb friendly) teams we could make for high elves and nurgle from the above criteria. Thanks a heap in advance!!

Reason: ''
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Resurrection Tournament (High Elves and Nurgle)

Post by straume »

Hi there and welcome to the tournament scene!

Making a tournament roster is great fun. So my first tip would be to go to a roster creator service such as the excellent littlearmybuilder.com and toy around with it. What team would you like to bring? Building an optimal roster isn`t easy and you might have fluff reasons for giving a particular player a particular skill.

Now: Let`s look at Nurgle. They are not exactly noob-friendly considering they lack so much of the basic stuff. However, at 1.2mgp, and 6+1 skills you can build a quite strong Nurgle team. For Nurgle you absolutely want the 4 Bloaters. And you want them skilled up. I would suggest 2 with Block and 2 with guard. A noob-friendly roster should give you some basic skills. With that in mind a Pestigor with sure hands might be a good idea. Then you are left with the choice of getting more Pestigors or leaving some behind to get in enough rerolls. For a new players I would absolutely getting 3 rerolls, they are life savers. And some bench is always helpful. Your big question is what to do with the double skill. There are three obvious choices here: Block on the Rotspawn, Claw on the Rotspawn or leader on Rotspawn. The conservatie route would be leader on the Rotspawn. Claw+MB however is awesome fun (just don`t expect the Rotspawn to succeed his really stupid rolls!).

My suggested roster then is, this (13 players):
Rotspawn with Claw
2 Bloaters with Block
2 Bloaters with Guard
1 Pestigor with Wrestle (for those pesky blodger that wou will struggle with)
1 Pestigor with sure hands
6 rotters
3 rerolls
1 FF

If you decide to get leader instead you could lose a reroll (and 1FF) and upgrade two rotters to pestigors. Another option is go with 12 players and change 2 rotters to one Pestigor. Probably a stronger roster, but I would advice some bench for a new player. Being numbers down with Nurgle is very tough.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

If it's your first tournament, this might be a useful read for you.

Good luck!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Jip wrote:If it's your first tournament, this might be a useful read for you.
I particularly like this part of Jip's little article:
Also, be sure to thank the organiser(s). I’m yet to see a tournament organiser leave the event in a tricked out Ferrari [I do drive a tricked out Scooby, does that count ???? :lol: ] lighting their cigar with a burning fifty-pound note. There must be all sorts of organisational headaches to get a tournament running smoothly, and it probably results in very little (any?) profit, so those crazy bastards deserve some acknowledgement. :)

There's lot of things to be aware of when you pop your tourney cherry; team/skill choices is just one of them.

As you (the OP) are happy to ask for help and guidance here, don't let that stop once you are at the venue. Ask questions and you shall learn stuff :)

Is there a reason behind the choice for High Elves and Nurgle? Neither are considered the best for rookie players as they have some interesting skills you dont see elsewhere (most of how the Nurgle team works) or suffer from lack of players, compared to other teams (High Elves (and all Elves I think) won't run a deep bench), meaning you will need to learn to play whilst likely outnumbered.

Are you allowed Star Players? Soaren Hightower is a beast if you like to throw the ball. Zara (and Karla) is nice Block/Dodge (colloquially called Blodge) Strength 4 player. Very handy in all situations.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
TheTrans
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TheTrans »

Hey gang thanks so much for the advice so far (currently reading the linked article).

I've been to many a tournament, just this one is a first for Blood Bowl (and a first in general for the misso).

The team choices are really based on the models (the GF loved the star player High Elves) and I want to try my hand at converting a nurgle team (I do have dwarves..but have found their play style to be very like..repetitive over the entire team, but feel free to offer a roster option on them also :P).

A single star player is allowed for lists. So if that would change up list builds, please do take that into account :).

Cheers,
Nick

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Dwarves are a strong tournament team, but you're also right about the game play. Same plan every game. Then again, Nurgle has a similar play style.

For High Elves, you have a couple options.
The problem with High Elves is that they have great stats and desperately need skills. 6 Skills is just about the minimum that they'll need.
But 1200 is at least a respectable budget to afford your expensive elves.

I'd consider this roster:
Soaren Hightower (Thrower Star Player, 180k)
2x Blitzers (200k) with Dodge, (Tackle or Frenzy)
2x Catchers (180k) with Dodge, (Block or Wrestle)
7x Linemen (490k)
2x Rerolls (100k)
1x Apothecary (50k)
You have 2 skills left over. Only being able to take Dodge twice hurts. Probably the best move is giving two Linemen Block or Wrestle. But I'd be tempted to give the Dodge Blitzer a second skill - Strip Ball, Sidestep, maybe Tackle.

The strength of that roster is that you have 12 players and an apothecary. You'll still be outnumbered most of the time but hopefully not too badly. Soaren will be the best thrower at the tournament, his job is to get the ball (he starts with Kickoff Return and Sure Hands, so not a problem), sit way back in front of his own end zone until your frustrated opponent starts sending defenders after him, then run up and sling it out to a catcher at midfield (he runs 6 squares, with Strong Arm he throws 7 squares straight forward on a 2+ with a Pass reroll). Then either score or run behind your opponent's defense and stall for a bit.

If you don't like Soaren (remember that you can't use an apothecary on a Star Player, so it's still a bit risky), I'd go with this:
2x Blitzers
3x Catchers
1x Thrower
7x Linemen
2x Rerolls
1x Apoth
Same skills as before, same plan. A rookie thrower is going to be a little bit riskier (Short passes are 3+, so you'd want him to be a bit farther forward in your backfield before he rolls out) but this gives you 13 players.
This also has the option of dropping a skill somewhere else to give the Thrower Leader, if 2 rerolls isn't enough. I think the skills are better used somewhere else though. You could also drop a lineman and get a 3rd reroll. 13 players and an apothecary makes it very hard for your opponent to dominate you on numbers, though.

Also remember that this is a tournament, not a league. The best use for an apothecary is to bring a badly hurt player with a skillup back into the game. It's also often worth it to keep a KO player on the field.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"