27%
Random/Swiss
3%

Total votes: 67

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Longshot wrote: but dont try to explain the Eurobowl meaning to the one that created it ^^
I do not explain eurobowl, i just give my think according to what i lived in other playing communities.
To summarize:
for me if you want a competitive event go swiss/swiss
if you want a meeting event (and girls coming back) go random/random or go with the fewer rules possible since the aim is not to win but to meet other people

(i don't think there is a better option, just a choice do make)

Reason: ''
haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

Longshot wrote:Elyoukey and Hacktar: You cant argue with Lucy as he is the prime organisator of the event !
I mean, he and Redfang made this event on particular purpose, time has changed it along the years for players but they created this idea of Eurobowl not for competiveness but as a good party to be.
Of course, more and more people want to be a part of it which made selections different in each country to suit their own national communitie but dont try to explain the Eurobowl meaning to the one that created it ^^
Yes but, like i have said ideas changed.
I think that the oringal idea about competiveness tournament have move for the blood bowl community to a competitive tournament.

The Greek invent the Olympic games, but i think they have changed too... :wink:

Trying to play bloodbowl.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

haktar wrote: Yes but, like i have said ideas changed.
Only 5 big guns can play the title: Italy, Germany, England, Spain, France.
Spain is the same team since the beginning..wich doesnt make it turned to competiveness.
Danish are competitive, but here again i guess it is a half/half team (fun and competition)

All the other teams, no offence meant will not play the title.

Idea have changed for some...not for all. That s why there is a thread about it right?! 8)

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

Longshot wrote:
haktar wrote: Yes but, like i have said ideas changed.

All the other teams, no offence meant will not play the title.
We will see :D (i'm not offenced but i think you are wrong)

And remeber, last year the Freebooter team finish 4th, in front of Spain and Germany so...

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

belgium came second last time it was held in italy?

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

haktar wrote:And remeber, last year the Freebooter team finish 4th, in front of Spain and Germany so...
Did you see that team, that is a silly argument, they had an AWESOME team

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
wp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by wp »

I hope we can mix all the point of view during the italian €bowl :wink:

We'll have 6 games, the final calssification, the team champion and the team wooden spoon. So it's is enought for the competitive time.

Due to the all-in-one accomodation like in Spain, we have more time to have great time with the other bb players.

I prefear the swiss sistem, but I'll be there even if the ruleset'd be different. Infact this year I'll not play for the team of italians, maybe as freebooter for another team, but surely I'll be at Eurobowl to have great time with my foreign friends.

If you search competitive games to improve yourself you can find it at Eurobowl. If you search a place for fun with 100+ crazy people you can find it at Eurobowl. If you search a place with lots of beautiful and friendly girls... ahem... don't go to a bb tournamet :wink:

Roller

haktar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by haktar »

Valen wrote:
haktar wrote:And remeber, last year the Freebooter team finish 4th, in front of Spain and Germany so...
Did you see that team, that is a silly argument, they had an AWESOME team
I play with that team so... :P

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

@Haktar:
I dont forget anything, and i know teams, players and background.

Easy betting on the 5 big guns.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Longshot wrote: All the other teams, no offence meant will not play the title.
On being underdogs:
"yer s'grate. means we can bites dere bellies" - spokesman for the Underworld Creepers. *

Bring it Frog boy. I hope we'll prove you wrong. :lol:

*actual quote from "Blood Bowl: Star Players".

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Princelucianus wrote:The original idea of the first Eurobowl was simply to meet people and make your chances of playing 5-6 foreigners very very likely (only format with a 100% don't play your countryman format) and being forced to mingle after the matches more likely.
Normally (not for everybody) people will go to a tourney with a few mates and see them mostly as well during the tourney after game hours.
This concept made that less lilely to occur.

The biggest problem (or mistake), was making the tourney a NAF event. It was meant as a social gathering and suddenly all kinds of team organisors got mails from people that they should be allowed to play because they had a higher teamrating than others who did play. I heard remarks from some coaches which were more than just painfull. ''Why do we have a girl in our team'' was one of them.
If you actually set out to do that, then the biggest mistake was to restrict the number of attendees for each country. Just adding a rule that you will never play somebody from your own country would have been sufficient, and would have allowed many more to play.
Frankly, I find all this talk about friendship to be very ironic as the Eurobowl in my perspective did more to exclude people than it did to include people by being very arbitrary or vague about who was welcome and who was not. With the restricted teams and the name it only stands to reason that many regard it as highly competative tournament. The original players effort to inflate the reputation by shouting all over the boards that it was the gathering of the best coaches in Europe did the rest. (Even if 'best' actually was supposed to mean friendliest or best connected).
However, I do agree that the making it NAF sactioned was a mistake, as it has never been an open tournament.
In hindsight you might have created a monster, but you've sown the seeds yourself.

kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

Princelucianus wrote: The biggest problem (or mistake), was making the tourney a NAF event.

Lucy
This point was discussed several years but unfortunatelly it wasn't change. For myself I'd like to see the event as a non NF tournament. It should be enough to be part of a team to represent a nation. Maybe it will be overthought in the next years.....

Concerning the topic I have similiar thoughts like Lucifer. The random draw system was good. The Swiss system also has some advantages but as Lucy mentioned this doesn't reflect the backround of the "Eurobowl spirit".

Kithor

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
Marco Gianni
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Marco Gianni »

I can understand what Prince Lucianus is talking about. I belong to a clan of old fellows (Les Azes) who are playing together since the beginning and the spirit is really one of our problematics.

My friends and I have organized one of the biggest torny ever (Rugbowl 2009 : 144 players by teams of 6) and we wondered how to keep the original spirit with such a number of players.

Actually we realized that there are teams which are coming to win (Team France, BB Stars, Les Azes...), other ones are coming to have fun without no hope of winning (Wooden spoon Team, Team To Loose, Loozing Brigade International...). I just want to add that the powering teams are there to enjoy too...

The swiss system generates a natural division after round 3 (around) : the "winners" are playing against eachother, having fun of those competitive matchs, and the "gamblers" can laugh by attempting 6+ (halfling treeman dodge) and missing it !

At this point everyone is having fun and the final winner really deserves it.

Just think that a lot of people of our generation (35 years, working, with 1 or 2 children) are able to play for the win AND having pleasure to talk with the other coaches between the rounds just like the Eurobowl spirit is asking so...

I think that the "spirit lost" is a myth and we can trust the new members of the community to be gentle, socializing and even funny while they smash your team ;)

Co-organizer of RUGBOWL
Results 2010
Pics

NAF WC Team Champion (Les Azes)
Individual Runner up
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Marco Gianni wrote:I think that the "spirit lost" is a myth and we can trust the new members of the community to be gentle, socializing and even funny while they smash your team ;)
Well put. What is it with people that they always long for the good old days?

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Grumbledook wrote:belgium came second last time it was held in italy?
Yes, half a point behind the eventual winner (Spain). :cry:

edit: I've been to the last 2 eurobowls and found both to be very social AND competitive. Like others have said, I think we're all mature enough to make that work.

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire